Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fueled the Insight yesterday after the information screen advised to "find a gas station now". This is the first time since I drove the car off the lot and almost cried a little when the total from a range of 70 miles left was LESS than $20 and 7.something gallons to full. This would get me 2 days of commuting in my previous vehicle. Absolutely thrilled with this car!

·
Registered
90 Posts
So had my first fill up since getting her last Tuesday. I've been learning to drive her and finally getting really good and getting nice MPGs on current drives. When I stopped to get gas the range still had about 40 miles on it. The trip computer said I was getting 47.6 MPG. Stopped to fill up...filled up 8.579 gallons (lowest I've done in like 20 years). The total driving done was 379 miles. So thats 44.2 MPG (my old car Fuelly rating was 30 mpg). I figured it would be around there the first time...gives me something to improve on. I'm sure next fill up will be much better.

Btw, how do you link your Fuelly stats in your signature?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Fuel-ups for the Insight are SO FEW that it's nice to have photo evidence it actually occurs. ;)

Also, if you're interested in using, there's a holder area for the cap built into the fuel door (see attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
My old job was about 12 miles each way and was nice with the old Ford Focus. I filled about every two weeks. But company decided that IT should be done in Prague and Singapore to save money so they separated everyone in IT who was an employee (ironically contractors were ok...and I have a friend who still works there because he was a contractor). So I found a better job, better pay, amazing benefits, and an awesome retirement plan (I put in 4% to my 401k, the put in 14%....can't argue with that). So the longer commute is worth it. Plus I do get to work from home once a week and might go up to two days a week next year.

Got a new job closer to home. Previously, I filled up every three days, now I fill up once a month!

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
So just got 64.2 mpg at last fill up. Loving this car! Will try to beat it next time.
Beating your personal best is addicting. I'm currently in the midst of a 72.2mpg tank after 500+ miles. After 6-7 months of ownership and 10K miles, my numbers started to take off. A combination of being familiar with the car and the car getting broken in really boosted numbers. I can pinpoint the exact time the numbers jumped - immediately after my first oil change at 10,400 miles.

Your numbers will go nowhere but up! Congratulations!

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's very addicting.....I keep thinking it would be fun to do a day in sports mode...but then I think of my average. I now only use sports mode on the super steep hills. Been getting really good and charging the batteries on the downhill of steep hills and using Ev mode in order to get up some hills.

I did notice that it seems like front defroster turns on the A/C which brings MPG a little. So trying to learn how to use HVAC. a bit more efficiently to keep up my MPG.

Beating your personal best is addicting. I'm currently in the midst of a 72.2mpg tank after 500+ miles. After 6-7 months of ownership and 10K miles, my numbers started to take off. A combination of being familiar with the car and the car getting broken in really boosted numbers. I can pinpoint the exact time the numbers jumped - immediately after my first oil change at 10,400 miles.

Your numbers will go nowhere but up! Congratulations!

·
Registered
836 Posts
It's very addicting.....I keep thinking it would be fun to do a day in sports mode...but then I think of my average. I now only use sports mode on the super steep hills. Been getting really good and charging the batteries on the downhill of steep hills and using Ev mode in order to get up some hills.

I did notice that it seems like front defroster turns on the A/C which brings MPG a little. So trying to learn how to use HVAC. a bit more efficiently to keep up my MPG.
It's better to use A/C defrosting than Heat based defrosting. A/C is a battery system, Heat is reliant on the ICE being up to temperature. Both methods remove moisture from the ambient air, heat method just has the added benefit of also moving the air further from dew point.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
I have a bamboo charcoal bag under my seat to keep interior humidity down and remove smells. I rarely need the defroster (except in winter for exterior windshield frost).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a bamboo charcoal bag under my seat to keep interior humidity down and remove smells. I rarely need the defroster (except in winter for exterior windshield frost).
Just got a couple bags and put one in my car. We'll see how well it works.

Had another fillup today and got 64.6 mpg. So slowing down a bit in improving...but still very awesome numbers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts