Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery on a gen. 3 Insight EX two days ago. Here are some first impressions as I switch over from driving '15 Civic Hybrid for four years.

What jumps out at me is how much faster the battery recharges especially when using moderately strong braking. I'm also getting faster rate of recharge when cruising or coasting. Just two flicks on the paddle has a noticeable recharge effect. Am forming a habit of flicking the paddles as I approach a space in traffic where I know I'll be taking my foot off of the throttle to slow down or stop. Touching the throttle or flicking the other paddle will cancel regen. This way I'll be routinely maximizing regen and hence daily mpg!

Secondly, the EX speeds much more time in EV (or electric only) mode, and its so much easier to make it happen. I discovered that the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) is not running when a green EV light comes on adjacent to the green car icon with a circle around it between the Power meter and the Speedometer. I also discovered that while cruising city streets using ICE (green EV icon off), I can lift my foot off of the throttle, then very lightly press the throttle, causing the ICE to turn off and the green EV light to go on!

Third switching on the heater while cruising with green EV icon on, turns on the ICE and the green icon darkens.

Fourth the outside rear view mirrors have better alignment,. I barely have to turn my head to use them!

The base price I paid was $23,897. With license plates, registration, tax and options (door visors, splash guards, truck tray) the no haggle, drive it off the lot price was $24,472.49! I am very pleased with that price and especially my no BS experience with Honda World of Coos Bay, Oregon.

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
I took delivery on a gen. 3 Insight EX two days ago. Here are some first impressions as I switch over from driving '15 Civic Hybrid for four years.

What jumps out at me is how much faster the battery recharges especially when using moderately strong braking. I'm also getting faster rate of recharge when cruising or coasting. Just two flicks on the paddle has a noticeable recharge effect. Am forming a habit of flicking the paddles as I approach a space in traffic where I know I'll be taking my foot off of the throttle to slow down or stop. Touching the throttle or flicking the other paddle will cancel regen. This way I'll be routinely maximizing regen and hence daily mpg!

Secondly, the EX speeds much more time in EV (or electric only) mode, and its so much easier to make it happen. I discovered that the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) is not running when a green EV light comes on adjacent to the green car icon with a circle around it between the Power meter and the Speedometer. I also discovered that while cruising city streets using ICE (green EV icon off), I can lift my foot off of the throttle, then very lightly press the throttle, causing the ICE to turn off and the green EV light to go on!

Third switching on the heater while cruising with green EV icon on, turns on the ICE and the green icon darkens.

Fourth the outside rear view mirrors have better alignment,. I barely have to turn my head to use them!

The base price I paid was $23,897. With license plates, registration, tax and options (door visors, splash guards, truck tray) the no haggle, drive it off the lot price was $24,472.49! I am very pleased with that price and especially my no BS experience with Honda World of Coos Bay, Oregon.
I think in Oregon, residents don't have to pay vehicle sales tax, that must be nice. Also in Oregon the doc fee is capped at $150 from what I have found googling. Hope you enjoy your Insight and share your experience with us. :wink:

·
Registered
154 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experiences with your Insight. I have had mine for almost two months and am still trying to wrap my head around all the ways to drive it to get better gas mileage. Nice to get others perspectives on the subject. Enjoy your Insight!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for kind messages! :)

Due to budget shortfall, the legislature imposed a .5% ( I think it was) sales tax on new car sales. I believe it went into effect Jan. 1 This is after an increase in the state income tax was defeated at the polls in 2014. Oregon still has no general sales tax. But many state government services or other operattions (parks etc) now have user fees. FYI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts