Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first car purchase after driving two hand me downs: a 2002 Toyota Corolla, and a 2010 Honda CR-V. I purchased a CPO EX with 4.9K miles at a dealership 2 hours away for 22K out the door on Feb 28. I've had people tell me that it looked like a 30K+ car after hearing that I only paid 22k for it.

Some concerns I had before buying this car were: cabin size, loud engine noise, and unrealistic real world MPG. All of which were blown away after driving this car for a month.

Size: Though I had test driven the car before purchasing, I never really grasp the size of the car until I've seen it parked next to different cars, and filled with passengers. So far, I've had a passenger who was nearly 6 ft tall sit in the back with no problems or complaint, as well as three passengers in the back sit comfortably. To my surprise, the car is actually pretty wide when parked next to my 2002 corolla that I used to drive (It's still driven within the family) so it is no longer surprising or a mystery that this is classified as a mid-sized sedan. Keep in mind that I am 6'1 medium-large build. Prior to buying I was worried it wouldn't be a practical family car but now that's no longer a concern.

Engine noise: I saw post and reviews complaining about the "roaring" engine noise as well as the inconsistent revving relative to driving speed. However, I actually didn't notice any of that and the engine noise sounds like a normal car noise to me (coming directly from a 2010 CR-V) and so I did not find this to be an issue at all after driving it. 70% of the time the car is pretty quiet due to electric driving so I am totally okay with the occasional "normal" engine noise I hear. The engine noise with the sport mode actually sounds kinda cool to me and I enjoy switching to sport every now and then to feel that increase torque. Maybe that's just me?

MPG: Sometimes I get 80+mpg in a trip, sometimes I get 40mpg. But honestly, based on the price I paid and the tech I get in this car, MPG is the last on my mind. As long as it is above 35mpg, I'll be happy. I've heard many reviewers that says something along the line of "this is a great car who just happens to also get great fuel economy" which definitely aligns with my impression of the car. As of this post, I haven't been to the gas station in over 3 weeks and still have more than half a tank left. Crazy.

Overall, I am thoroughly happy I purchased this car and am proud to be part of this community. I plan to get some tinting and to wrap the center console with black leather and red stitching that I bought from Aliexpress for $24. The car came with all weather mats, wheel lock, and an extended warranty (4yr/48k mile bumper 2 bumper, 7year/100k miles power train). The fact that I don't have to eat 2-3K in depreciation, the extended warranty, and all the tech that car comes with definitely made this car packed with value for me. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Question for the forum: I never had a backup cam and due to the low front bumper clearance I am trying to back park into parking spaces as much as I can; however, it seems that no matter how careful I am, even after fixing it 2 or 3 times, I always end up a little crooked. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm starting to think the projector lines are a bit misleading since the camera placed a bit left of the license plate instead of being centered. Is there a way to compensate for this? Please teach me the way :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
This is my first car purchase after driving two hand me downs: a 2002 Toyota Corolla, and a 2010 Honda CR-V. I purchased a CPO EX with 4.9K miles at a dealership 2 hours away for 22K out the door on Feb 28. I've had people tell me that it looked like a 30K+ car after hearing that I only paid 22k for it.

Some concerns I had before buying this car were: cabin size, loud engine noise, and unrealistic real world MPG. All of which were blown away after driving this car for a month.

Size: Though I had test driven the car before purchasing, I never really grasp the size of the car until I've seen it parked next to different cars, and filled with passengers. So far, I've had a passenger who was nearly 6 ft tall sit in the back with no problems or complaint, as well as three passengers in the back sit comfortably. To my surprise, the car is actually pretty wide when parked next to my 2002 corolla that I used to drive (It's still driven within the family) so it is no longer surprising or a mystery that this is classified as a mid-sized sedan. Keep in mind that I am 6'1 medium-large build. Prior to buying I was worried it wouldn't be a practical family car but now that's no longer a concern.

Engine noise: I saw post and reviews complaining about the "roaring" engine noise as well as the inconsistent revving relative to driving speed. However, I actually didn't notice any of that and the engine noise sounds like a normal car noise to me (coming directly from a 2010 CR-V) and so I did not find this to be an issue at all after driving it. 70% of the time the car is pretty quiet due to electric driving so I am totally okay with the occasional "normal" engine noise I hear. The engine noise with the sport mode actually sounds kinda cool to me and I enjoy switching to sport every now and then to feel that increase torque. Maybe that's just me?

MPG: Sometimes I get 80+mpg in a trip, sometimes I get 40mpg. But honestly, based on the price I paid and the tech I get in this car, MPG is the last on my mind. As long as it is above 35mpg, I'll be happy. I've heard many reviewers that says something along the line of "this is a great car who just happens to also get great fuel economy" which definitely aligns with my impression of the car. As of this post, I haven't been to the gas station in over 3 weeks and still have more than half a tank left. Crazy.

Overall, I am thoroughly happy I purchased this car and am proud to be part of this community. I plan to get some tinting and to wrap the center console with black leather and red stitching that I bought from Aliexpress for $24. The car came with all weather mats, wheel lock, and an extended warranty (4yr/48k mile bumper 2 bumper, 7year/100k miles power train). The fact that I don't have to eat 2-3K in depreciation, the extended warranty, and all the tech that car comes with definitely made this car packed with value for me. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Question for the forum: I never had a backup cam and due to the low front bumper clearance I am trying to back park into parking spaces as much as I can; however, it seems that no matter how careful I am, even after fixing it 2 or 3 times, I always end up a little crooked. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm starting to think the projector lines are a bit misleading since the camera placed a bit left of the license plate instead of being centered. Is there a way to compensate for this? Please teach me the way :nerd:
It takes me about 3 weeks to use just half a tank but I mainly do 5-10 mile trips per day. Spring is here and so is warmer weather which has helped extend my mpg. Didn't even realize gas prices have recently shot up. The car offers a taste of electric driving, fast acceleration with sport mode, and econ mode for a fuel efficient drive. I like the option it gives for what fits my mood so I always look forward to driving the car.

I'm still getting use to reversing straight with the back-up camera. I guess it just takes practice, sometimes I get it right on my first try, and pat myself on the back. The back-up camera has 3 vantage points by the way. You can select the icons on the bottom left when the back up camera is on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It takes me about 3 weeks to use just half a tank but I mainly do 5-10 mile trips per day. Spring is here and so is warmer weather which has helped extend my mpg. Didn't even realize gas prices have recently shot up. The car offers a taste of electric driving, fast acceleration with sport mode, and econ mode for a fuel efficient drive. I like the option it gives for what fits my mood so I always look forward to driving the car.

I'm still getting use to reversing straight with the back-up camera. I guess it just takes practice, sometimes I get it right on my first try, and pat myself on the back. The back-up camera has 3 vantage points by the way. You can select the icons on the bottom left when the back up camera is on.
When I reverse park I mostly just use the default wide angle view. Do any of the other ones help?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
When I reverse park I mostly just use the default wide angle view. Do any of the other ones help?
I use the first icon(not sure if that is the default) and sometimes the 3rd icon to look down(for cement curb/bumper). The 2nd icon(more zoomed in wide angle) usually makes me leave more space than intended when backing up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same! I never use the 2nd option either, the 3rd option facing down is pretty cool though

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
The engine noise with the sport mode actually sounds kinda cool to me and I enjoy switching to sport every now and then to feel that increase torque. Maybe that's just me?
Not just you - Sport mode is VERY FUN to drive/hear! It's especially impressive when you kick it on for highway acceleration, after getting used to using Econ for regular drives.

It takes me several back-up attempts to get positioned in a parking spot; I never did this on prior cars, but the Insight front fender is so dang low! Hadn't thought of the camera offset creating an issue until you mentioned... so maybe it's the CAR'S fault that my back-up parking is so poor!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Much appreciate your 1st month review! It is intriguing how things that reviewers “complain” about can turn out to be non-issues for many of us!

And, you are right. The car is fun to drive and does make one to drive it. It's addicting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts