Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning 3 prius cars used 10 base. new 13 II and new 16 III decided to try something different and went with White insight touring model, picked up car July 8 with 5 miles left on vacation july 10 with 100 miles, drove 4500 miles with wife and fully loaded trunk including 48qt cooler packed with ice, Drove from midwest thru colorado, visited 4 national parks in utah , north rim grand canyon then thru AZ, NM, OK, TX , thru MO then on to il in 13 days. Drove alot of interstate at 65 - 80 mph , scenic highway mountain roads, desert highway , local city driving. Absolutely love the car but disappointed in gas mileage, At 5k got first service then drove to Indiana for weekend, at 5,500 miles my average mpg has been 44mpg, best tank was 53, Worst mpg is on interstate at 75 mph , one tank got 39 into headwind mainly 42-45 on interstae. This is my wifes daily driver she drives mainly local city and county highways and she is getting around 47 mpg.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Insight. Fuel economy may continue to improve as the car learns your driving preferences, but the EPA ratings are typically quite inflated from real world results. I think the main draw to the Insight is that it doesn't have the quirky design that's used to be common with hybrids.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mpg

With mostly highway mileage, 44 is pretty close to the advertised 45 highway on the Touring. Throw in the baggage, break-in, and mountains it seems about right to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts