Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven Honda automobiles exclusively since purchasing my first Civic in 1988. I have always been impressed with the fit and finish of their vehicles. My new Insight is the first Honda vehicle I have been disappointed in. The back left hand door does not line up properly and the dealer says they can't fix it. The hood sticks up about a half inch above the cowl on the right side and it vibrates very noticeable at highway speeds. The dealer says this is because it is aluminum. They tried to adjust it but it still vibrates. On the inside, the plastic piece on the drivers side that meets the dash is sticking out and will not adjust to meet the dash properly. The drive button which has a green light is unevenly illuminated. I like the car mechanically, I get good mileage, and I love the modern technology, but the fit and finish leaves much to be desired.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
I guess mine was built on a Tuesday. Everything lines up fine. The only issue I have is with the durability of the paint. I've never had this many stone chips in such a short period of time - and I don't really drive highway!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve had a bunch of Hondas and Acuras in my days and always like the fit and finish above other cars I’ve owned. As a possible Insight buyer this has me concerned. Where are the Insights built?

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I’ve had a bunch of Hondas and Acuras in my days and always like the fit and finish above other cars I’ve owned. As a possible Insight buyer this has me concerned. Where are the Insights built?
All Insights (global), some US CR-Vs, and some US Civics are built at the US at Honda's Greensburg, Indiana plant.
https://indiana.honda.com/our-operations

The Marysville, Ohio plant builds Accords (incl Hybrid), some CR-Vs, and some Acura models.
https://ohio.honda.com/our-operations

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks. I have some friends with later model Accords and one with a new Passport and they don't seem to notice any fit/finish issues. I've been looking at new Acura RDXs to replace my wife's existing RDX and they seem made well too.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I have driven Honda automobiles exclusively since purchasing my first Civic in 1988. I have always been impressed with the fit and finish of their vehicles. My new Insight is the first Honda vehicle I have been disappointed in. The back left hand door does not line up properly and the dealer says they can't fix it. The hood sticks up about a half inch above the cowl on the right side and it vibrates very noticeable at highway speeds. The dealer says this is because it is aluminum. They tried to adjust it but it still vibrates. On the inside, the plastic piece on the drivers side that meets the dash is sticking out and will not adjust to meet the dash properly. The drive button which has a green light is unevenly illuminated. I like the car mechanically, I get good mileage, and I love the modern technology, but the fit and finish leaves much to be desired.
My drive button seems to be evenly lit. I don't have the hood vibration issue but my hood has a noticeable gap on the driver side. I don't notice anything wrong with my rear driver side door or plastic piece sticking out meeting the dash but it's probably better that I don't notice it. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I guess mine was built on a Tuesday. Everything lines up fine. The only issue I have is with the durability of the paint. I've never had this many stone chips in such a short period of time - and I don't really drive highway!
Blame this one on environmental regulations. Paint was better before, but the process caused more pollution. This is a phenomenon that exists across brands.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Blame this one on environmental regulations. Paint was better before, but the process caused more pollution. This is a phenomenon that exists across brands.
I had the same thoughts on the chips I have now as well. I try to stay away from rock trucks etc, but it is what it is. My co-worker has a new Tesla model 3 and has paint issues from the factory as well as chips in the front.. He was freaked out about it until I showed him the front of my car.. I love the fact that he had to see my Honda had the same issues to feel better haha..

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I had the same thoughts on the chips I have now as well. I try to stay away from rock trucks etc, but it is what it is. My co-worker has a new Tesla model 3 and has paint issues from the factory as well as chips in the front.. He was freaked out about it until I showed him the front of my car.. I love the fact that he had to see my Honda had the same issues to feel better haha..
Knowing now that the Insight's paint is prone to chipping, would either of you recommend anything different earlier on in ownership - e.g. coatings, coverage, etc.? Seeking recos on behalf of those of us who (for now) have fewer miles/chips on our cars... :)
@4star mentioned adding 3M film in this intro thread and @ebsandiego mentions paint protection and ding shield coverage in this 'first scratch' thread.

Honda paint is generally described as "soft" in the paint/body industry, and it seems to be getting thinner/worse and more apparent on newer models like the Insight. I'm wondering if the supplemental coatings or coverages are less optional than in the past, to offset the lower standard of paint quality -?

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Knowing now that the Insight's paint is prone to chipping, would either of you recommend anything different earlier on in ownership - e.g. coatings, coverage, etc.? Seeking recos on behalf of those of us who (for now) have fewer miles/chips on our cars... :)

@4star mentioned adding 3M film in this intro thread and @ebsandiego mentions paint protection and ding shield coverage in this 'first scratch' thread.

Honda paint is generally described as "soft" in the paint/body industry, and it seems to be getting thinner/worse and more apparent on newer models like the Insight. I'm wondering if the supplemental coatings or coverages are less optional than in the past, to offset the lower standard of paint quality -?
I did a ceramic coating early on, but that won't help with stone chips. If I were to do it again, I'd get a clear bra applied. That would be the best sacrificial layer I could think of.

·
Registered
836 Posts

The issue lies in the clear coating, it's environmentally the worst part of all paint, and voc laws/regulations have made clear coats harder (more prone to chipping) and often thinner layers (less spray = less pollution). I was lucky enough to get my degree in auto body during the transition to waterborne paint. Using both products, I can honestly say the color didn't change much in thickness, but using a high voc clear vs a "environmentally conscious" voc clear yields completely different results.

It's actually quite amazing to paint a car with water, and put a high voc clear on, the shine and depth are quite impressive.

Luckily for us, the big paint companies have figured out a better process, than for example during the early 90's when the epa regulations and governmental pressures forced them to re-evaluate the layers and coating processes applied to cars. Unfortunately when changes like this are made, it's the consumer who is duped. We are essentially long-term testing their new process. (I'm sure we all remember the paint-less roofs of many cars in late 90's- early 2000's.

This wasn't a single manufacturer trying to cut costs (and emissions), but instead PPG insisting that a layer of sealant after primer wasn't necessary. Unfortunately this layer was in fact quite necessary for uv protection and better mechanical bonding.

Sorry for the long rant, in summary:

Clear coatings that contain more solids and less "volatile organic compounds" are more environmentally friendly. Unfortunately these harder clears are more prone to chipping than the older VOC formulations. It's a trade off, we want to save our planet, but we haven't figured out a way to do that without sacrificing paint issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
The issue lies in the clear coating, it's environmentally the worst part of all paint, and voc laws/regulations have made clear coats harder (more prone to chipping) and often thinner layers (less spray = less pollution).
[...]
This wasn't a single manufacturer trying to cut costs (and emissions), but instead PPG insisting that a layer of sealant after primer wasn't necessary. Unfortunately this layer was in fact quite necessary for uv protection and better mechanical bonding.
Is there a supplemental/sacrificial coating you'd recommend to offset the current quality of clear coat? Is paint protection film (on hood, fender, side mirrors) effective against rock chips, based on your experience?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is there a supplemental/sacrificial coating you'd recommend to offset the current quality of clear coat? Is paint protection film (on hood, fender, side mirrors) effective against rock chips, based on your experience?
Technically speaking, a clear bra would be the best form of sacrificial layer.

Ceramic coatings are nice for keeping a car clean, and as a chemical protection, but do very little against rocks and solid impacts.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I did a ceramic coating early on, but that won't help with stone chips. If I were to do it again, I'd get a clear bra applied. That would be the best sacrificial layer I could think of.
I thought about paint protection film for my Insight but the price of installation plus putting it on a Honda seems overkill to me. It hurts when it happens but I'm going to be fine just like with my previous cars. Claying, polishing, and wax should be enough to hide most imperfections.:smile:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I thought about paint protection film for my Insight but the price of installation plus putting it on a Honda seems overkill to me. It hurts when it happens but I'm going to be fine just like with my previous cars. Claying, polishing, and wax should be enough to hide most imperfections.:smile:
Agreed. It'll hurt, but I honestly doubt we are trading it in any time soon, and the xpel cost far outweighs the benefit.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Agreed. It'll hurt, but I honestly doubt we are trading it in any time soon, and the xpel cost far outweighs the benefit.
I plan to own this car a long while as with prior cars, and every imperfection I find stays top of mind for me. The cost of paint protection film would offset the 'mental cost' of anguish/obsession from my perspective. And washing my car would hopefully become a less stressful event, with less dings to be found. :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts