Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that with moderate-heavy rains, there is a surprisingly loud racket all thoughout the car - especially the roof? I have never heard raindrops sound as loud as they are when they fall on this one. I wonder if the aluminum composition of this particular model is not as insulating as the average car?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I know the vast majority of people here don't watch my videos, but I'm surprised almost no one has discussed the very significant panel gap oddities in this car. That and the fact that many seem to have misaligned passenger doors. I looked at another touring at the dealership and it's passenger door is also misaligned. Any of you see this in your cars? Do you guys have a more than usual amount if panel gap differences in your car? Very curious about this.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I know the vast majority of people here don't watch my videos, but I'm surprised almost no one has discussed the very significant panel gap oddities in this car. That and the fact that many seem to have misaligned passenger doors. I looked at another touring at the dealership and it's passenger door is also misaligned. Any of you see this in your cars? Do you guys have a more than usual amount if panel gap differences in your car? Very curious about this.
I haven’t noticed the passenger door misalignment, but I agree that the body gaps on this car seem really odd to me. Especially the hood in my case. I wonder of they have a problem making the aluminum hood to tolerances? I find myself looking at other makes panel alignments to compare. To be fair I’ve seen a lot worse...but also a lot better!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have seen your videos, I have not seen any panel gaps. the one "oddity" I've seen with the doors is they seem to take an excessive amount of force to close. They seem to just stop under normal pressure. I don't really care that much, its just a little weird.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
The most noticeable panel gap for me is by the driver side hood near the first (A) pillar. It seems like the machine that cut the hood gave me a slightly smaller hood on the driver side because the whole hood aligns properly... There are properly more gaps in other places but I choose to not look for them otherwise I would obsess over it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I watch all your Insight videos Verdier and love them. It is great getting an honest and fresh perspective on a car from someone that isn't being paid for their opinions so you know they are genuine. Keep them up!

Haven't bothered to look for panel gaps yet. My perspective is as long as my Insight drives like it should and doesn't break down, it can have as many panel gaps as it wants. I know some people are more obsessed about these types of things (like the gas door not being totally flush as you cover in one of your videos), but again, for me it is more function over form as the main concern for any car I drive. That being said, I have to admit I was a little taken aback by the drivers side door panel having some play in it when I was pushing against the top edge of it to wipe a smudge off it, and it gave a little bit (flexed inward). Probably just how the material of the car was designed to be lighter and less ridged I assume.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I noticed that the drivers door hangs a little low and that the bright molding does exactly follow the line of the rear door. Not really bothered by it. I have been meaning to try to adjust out the floppy hood though.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes I agree with most of you on this, I don't really worry too much about the panel gaps, but I was surprised when I looked hard at just how many uneven gaps there were in comparison with my Ford. I am very curious how many of you see any misalignment of the front passenger door. I have seen this now on 3 insights including 2 new ones and my own. Look closely at the silver trim on top, in the middle, and the flare in the metal in the bottom of the door and see if they align. I'm very curious to see if this is more common in the touring model or if it seems to be widespread. This is purely out of curiosity and general interest.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes I agree with most of you on this, I don't really worry too much about the panel gaps, but I was surprised when I looked hard at just how many uneven gaps there were in comparison with my Ford. I am very curious how many of you see any misalignment of the front passenger door. I have seen this now on 3 insights including 2 new ones and my own. Look closely at the silver trim on top, in the middle, and the flare in the metal in the bottom of the door and see if they align. I'm very curious to see if this is more common in the touring model or if it seems to be widespread. This is purely out of curiosity and general interest.
Yes, I also see misalignment in this same spot on my Touring. When I was younger I would have obsessed over this, but as I've gotten older I've adopted more of an out-of-sight, out-of-mind policy. Since I don't see the misalignment when I'm inside the car it's fine.

I'm almost afraid to go out and identify where all the places are. I'll definitely remember then. There were maybe 2 or 3 obvious things when I looked several months ago, when I wiped the car down after a muddy trip.

For me the fuel door misalignment is extremely noticeable. I tried to bend the tab myself one day, but didn't have the right wrench for getting the leverage I needed. I'll try again at some point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have driven Honda automobiles exclusively since purchasing my first Civic in 1988. I have always been impressed with the fit and finish of their vehicles. My new Insight is the first Honda vehicle I have been disappointed in. The back left hand door does not line up properly and the dealer says they can't fix it. The hood sticks up about a half inch above the cowl on the right side and it vibrates very noticeable at highway speeds. The dealer says this is because it is aluminum. They tried to adjust it but it still vibrates. On the inside, the plastic piece on the drivers side that meets the dash is sticking out and will not adjust to meet the dash properly. The drive button which has a green light is unevenly illuminated. I like the car mechanically, I get good mileage, and I love the modern technology, but the fit and finish leaves much to be desired.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Hi, yes - fit and finish quality issues have been an observation among forum member cars, plus ones seen on dealer lots. I'm also not particularly fond of the grainy paint quality/finish on my Insight. Next to my older Civic, the Insight's paint job looks remedial.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve had a bunch of Hondas and Acuras in my days and always like the fit and finish above other cars I’ve owned. As a possible Insight buyer this has me concerned. Where are the Insights built?

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
I’ve had a bunch of Hondas and Acuras in my days and always like the fit and finish above other cars I’ve owned. As a possible Insight buyer this has me concerned. Where are the Insights built?
All Insights (global), some US CR-Vs, and some US Civics are built at the US at Honda's Greensburg, Indiana plant.
https://indiana.honda.com/our-operations

The Marysville, Ohio plant builds Accords (incl Hybrid), some CR-Vs, and some Acura models.
https://ohio.honda.com/our-operations

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks. I have some friends with later model Accords and one with a new Passport and they don't seem to notice any fit/finish issues. I've been looking at new Acura RDXs to replace my wife's existing RDX and they seem made well too.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
I have driven Honda automobiles exclusively since purchasing my first Civic in 1988. I have always been impressed with the fit and finish of their vehicles. My new Insight is the first Honda vehicle I have been disappointed in. The back left hand door does not line up properly and the dealer says they can't fix it. The hood sticks up about a half inch above the cowl on the right side and it vibrates very noticeable at highway speeds. The dealer says this is because it is aluminum. They tried to adjust it but it still vibrates. On the inside, the plastic piece on the drivers side that meets the dash is sticking out and will not adjust to meet the dash properly. The drive button which has a green light is unevenly illuminated. I like the car mechanically, I get good mileage, and I love the modern technology, but the fit and finish leaves much to be desired.
My drive button seems to be evenly lit. I don't have the hood vibration issue but my hood has a noticeable gap on the driver side. I don't notice anything wrong with my rear driver side door or plastic piece sticking out meeting the dash but it's probably better that I don't notice it. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Panel, door and other misalignments seem to be Common on this car. I recently found some lower body panels when you open the doors that don't sit flush with the car. I put it up on the channel to see if anyone else had this issue and only 2 people responded. One had it the other didn't so I'm concluding it's not supposed to have a gap where it does. I went to Lee Honda collision who did fix my door misalignment and the gas door problem, but when I showed him this he was a bit rude and said "I can't fix that". When I pushed him further and said what I believe he means he won't fix it without Honda telling him to , he passively agreed that that is what he meant. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this response since rudeness seems to be the normal response I get from a lot of people. I'll try Charlie's and see if they'll make good on fixing this problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Panel, door and other misalignments seem to be Common on this car.
Initial quality is not great. Maybe good compared to Chrysler or something, but mediocre compared to our Toyotas. Also wishing I had bit the bullet on the black interior and gotten the silver exterior. The dark blue looks great, but the paint seems to to get nicks and chips if you breath on it lol. The primer/metal color is closer to silver and wouldn't be as obvious.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
I recently found some lower body panels when you open the doors that don't sit flush with the car. I put it up on the channel to see if anyone else had this issue and only 2 people responded. One had it the other didn't so I'm concluding it's not supposed to have a gap where it does.
I see this gap on the lower rear body panels on my car as well. However, it looks pretty even across the open area so looks/seems like a "design" - perhaps to help accumulated water drain from the sill area (?). https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/305-2019-honda-insight-likes-dislikes/2484-honda-insight-design-defects.html

When I pressed into the area, I didn't get the impression that it would fit better against my car. The panel feels like molded plastic (vs metal) part, which would make it hard for body shops to fix (i.e. "leaning on it" as with the prior fix for your misaligned door won't work here).

It's not an ideal design/look, but at least it's mostly hidden from view...

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Initial quality is not great. Maybe good compared to Chrysler or something, but mediocre compared to our Toyotas. Also wishing I had bit the bullet on the black interior and gotten the silver exterior. The dark blue looks great, but the paint seems to to get nicks and chips if you breath on it lol. The primer/metal color is closer to silver and wouldn't be as obvious.
You're making me happy with my silver/black color selections. :)

JD Power measures initial quality as the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) during the first 90 days of ownership; lower scores mean higher quality. The Insight is <2% of sales across Honda's total brand, but across the total brand, Honda (98) is rated 5 points worse than the industry average (93), meaning more problems are reported than for the average car. Infotainment and driver assistance problems are included in these numbers, along with fit and finish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You're making me happy with my silver/black color selections. :)

JD Power measures initial quality as the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) during the first 90 days of ownership; lower scores mean higher quality. The Insight is <2% of sales across Honda's total brand, but across the total brand, Honda (98) is rated 5 points worse than the industry average (93), meaning more problems are reported than for the average car. Infotainment and driver assistance problems are included in these numbers, along with fit and finish.

Wow, Hyundai knocking it out of the park -- their three brands taking the top three spots.

Honda and Toyota getting a bit complacent? Not their engineers, mind, but the manufacturing process.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts