Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was enjoying the ride home from my daughter's dance class when this happened tonight:
Tire Wheel Jeans Land vehicle Automotive tire

Because the Insight has indirect TPMS monitoring, I purchased a proper TPMS system from Amazon a few months ago:
Amazon.com: Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System CL205 - Full-Color Screen, 6 Alarm Modes, CLA Charging, with 4 TPMS Sensors (0-6 Bar / 0-87 PSI)… : Automotive

I'm happy to say it worked exactly as advertised. I was able to watch the pressure drop in real-time once it started alarming. I run my tires at 40psi and have the system set to alarm at 35 or below. The Insight's indirect TPMS didn't raise an alarm until pressure was down to 8psi. Fortunately, I had bought a Civic spare setup. Since I'm quick due to tire rotations every 5K miles, I was able to swap in the spare in under ten minutes.

Tire is in my garage already plugged, I'll put it back on in the morning.

Proper TPMS sensors and spare setup saved the day.

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks as if these would require tire balancing after installation. Not a big deal if they were installed as part of a new tire purchase.
The sensors are very light. I did not rebalance after installation. No issues at all.

Reactions: jensight

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have to remove the sensor each time you need to add air?
Yes, the sensors replace the valve stem caps. There is a nut which goes on first and is backed into the sensor to prevent it from loosening. There is a silver lining though. Since I now know the pressure in each tire, I do not need to drag out equipment to check and set the proper pressures as often. That, and the new system picked up and alarmed way ahead of the Insight's indirect TPMS system.

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those of us already using the 12v adapter, the solar powered one here might be a good solution: (ours has a wireless front camera in the 12v slot)
A good feature of the Tymate system is that the 12v unit has a USB port built in. I'm actually using that to power my MagSafe mount. I have Wirelss CarPlay and a flash drive full of music in the Insight's two USB ports. I park in a garage, so I wasn't sure how well the solar-powered TPMS system would work. That, and I didn't want anything on my dash.

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should've alerted you around 26psi going by 25% from 35psi recommended. Perhaps you need to recalibrate the TPMS? Otherwise Honda sold us a vehicle with a TPMS system that doesn't follow federal guidelines. :oops:
I had put a little thought into this at the time of the incident. I had the direct TPMS setting to detect a drop of 15% - which it did perfectly.

The best I can think is that the indirect TPMS did not warn as I was on the highway at the time, and centrifugal force may have kept the left-rear tire's shape circular longer to postpone the alert. Once I slowed down for the exit, the alert popped up on the DII. Would that make sense?

As your aware, I run my tires at 40psi, and I've calibrated to that number on the indirect TPMS system without issues in my 4+ years of Insight ownership. This was my first flat.

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very cool; didn't know pressure-reading stem caps existed. Does the 12V outlet on the Insight shut off when the car turns off? (my Ford Fiesta has an always-on 12V outlet, which would drain the battery if you use something like this).
The link you posted says "Currently unavailable", but I think this is the same item: Tymate CL205
Yes, the Insight's 12v outlet is only on when the car is on. The CL205 Tymate system looks identical to mine. I wonder if there is any difference. On mine, there is the ability to flip the orientation so the USB port is on the left side. There's no room if it's on the right to plug anything into it (if you needed another USB port).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts