Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Was enjoying the ride home from my daughter's dance class when this happened tonight:
View attachment 7607

Because the Insight has indirect TPMS monitoring, I purchased a proper TPMS system from Amazon a few months ago:
Amazon.com: Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System CL205 - Full-Color Screen, 6 Alarm Modes, CLA Charging, with 4 TPMS Sensors (0-6 Bar / 0-87 PSI)… : Automotive

I'm happy to say it worked exactly as advertised. I was able to watch the pressure drop in real-time once it started alarming. I run my tires at 40psi and have the system set to alarm at 35 or below. The Insight's indirect TPMS didn't raise an alarm until pressure was down to 8psi. Fortunately, I had bought a Civic spare setup. Since I'm quick due to tire rotations every 5K miles, I was able to swap in the spare in under ten minutes.

Tire is in my garage already plugged, I'll put it back on in the morning.

Proper TPMS sensors and spare setup saved the day.
Do you have to remove the sensor each time you need to add air?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Should've alerted you around 26psi going by 25% from 35psi recommended. Perhaps you need to recalibrate the TPMS? Otherwise Honda sold us a vehicle with a TPMS system that doesn't follow federal guidelines. :oops:

If you have a good ear and the object is big enough you should be able to hear that something is not right. The noise would repeat itself as you're driving with each rotation. Plus the sound repeats a lot quicker as you drive faster and vice versa when you slow down.

With electric powered steering you probably wouldn't feel much unless you've a blowout on the highway. I've seen people drive on a flat tire without realizing similar to this youtube video.
Mine has had a few punctures. The TPMS did warn me right around 26psi.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts