Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone figure out which fuse controls the interior lights (map/dome)?

I want to install an aftermarket foot-well LED strip and plan to tap into the interior lights fuse so that that foot-well lights would come on and off with the interior lights. I couldn't find "interior lights" looking at the owners manual and the fuse label.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I was swapping out the bulbs and think I might have blown this fuse, or a fuse..? Driver side and trunk lights are out, passenger and rear work..? So weird

·
Registered
22 Posts

I want to install an aftermarket foot-well LED strip and plan to tap into the interior lights fuse so that that foot-well lights would come on and off with the interior lights. I couldn't find "interior lights" looking at the owners manual and the fuse label.
Thanks
This may not work how you are hoping, fuses are almost always placed at the beginning of a circuit. Because of this the fuse for the dome lights is likely to always have power, not just when the lights are on. You would need tap into the wire going to the interior lights, this may come from a module such as the body control module (I believe that's what they call it) or from a relay.

Also take into account the amount of load you will be placing on this circuit, it may be necessary to install a relay of your own to prevent overloading.

One thing of interest is the optional welcome lights plug into a 6 pin accessory power outlet in the drivers side fuse box, these lights come on whenever the doors are unlocked or opened, that may be good enough for your needs. I may have missed something but I didn't see where they plug in anywhere else so it may be possible to get your power from that instead. Maybe someone else knows more about this.

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/insight/2019/puddlelights.pdf

Doing a search I found this which talks about this connector in a 2016 Civic, very good chance they are the same. This would provide exactly what you are looking for if it's accurate. Looks like there is a purple wire that will provide switched ground for the interior lights, if so you could run a standard fuse tap, or get power off of the Red wire from this connector, and then ground to the Purple wire.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/vehicle-6-pin-connector.20774/

Gotta run so I can't put any more research into this right now but good luck and please share your project when you get it finished.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts

Thanks
It looked like footwell lighting was present in this showcase of aftermarket 'starlight headliner' install. Perhaps @Nad can share tips/input on fuses related to footwell lighting install already in place -?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I installed my footwell lights by connecting it to the ACC fuse. It turns on whenever I start the car.

If you want to turn on your lights whenever u turn on the accessory lights, you should plug it in to the 6 pin vehicle connector under your dashboard. This is based on the illustration/instruction on how to install illuminated armrest.

I suggest just do a fuse tap. Its much easier and less complicated. Heres an example of fuse tap and the 6 pin connector that im talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
RGB LED footwell lighting

This is kind of a work in progress but it is good enough to share some pics.

I used this kit from OPT7
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OU5LOT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes with 4 LED strips, two for front and two for the rear, I have not gotten to the rears yet. It also includes a fuse tap that fits the Insight and lots of Zip ties so there is nothing else to purchase.

I zip tied the drivers side to the carpet just next to the brake pedal and then to a wire conduit near the fuse box (Picture is upside down,) this way it is away from the pedals if it happens to fall off. I didn't get a pic as it was already getting dark out but the passenger side is just sticky taped to the underside of the dash, hoping it holds. I was able to just pass the wire through the center console and keep everything nice and hidden.

One feature I will need to do some more research for is the door lighting, there is an option to turn the lights on bright white when the doors are opened, I really want to get this working but I will need to do some more researching for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I actually did this exact install in my car about a year ago. I used a fuse tap that's tied to the same fuse the cigarette lighter's on I believe. (Someone keep me honest bc it's either that one or the Acc fuse though they may be one in the same.)

I too haven't had the time nor patience to want to figure the door entry feature out, but look forward to one of you busting your knuckles so I can ride the coattails of a more adventagious member of this forum in the nearish future!

I will say something weird did happen the other day though. I've used the purple closest to blue almost exclusively for the past year and just the other day that one specific color stopped working. I'm sure OPT7 support will allow me to send in the control module for a replacement when I get around to calling them, but I'll be sure to update this thread if any issues with that if there are any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts