Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Forced engine start

6K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Mikem 
#1 · (Edited)
No idea if this has been discussed yet, if so forgive me. I was sitting in my car on my lunch break yesterday and playing with my gas pedal feeling the 2 stage pedal. Car was “running” (vehicle on, ready to drive) and going through it’s normal 60 second engine start and run every few mins to keep the battery charge above 2 bars. Just for S&G’s, I held the pedal down to the floor for 8-10 seconds and to my surprise the engine started and idled. I figured I had just caught it in one of its charging cycles so I let off the gas and about 2-3 seconds later the engine shut back off. So I ended up doing it again, and the engine started and stayed running as long as I had the pedal down. This feature could be extremely useful or totally useless, but either way I wanted to share.

#2 ·
There are several different comments packed into above...

Were air conditioning or any other systems running to trigger the engine cycling? I don't think I've experienced a cycling 60-second run of the engine, but then again I haven't idled the car for long when not driving.

Regarding the car shutting down, how long had the car been on and in Park? Perhaps it hit the "30-60 minute" window mentioned below (OM19 pg 191), after which time the car powers down to conserve 12V battery. And when re-tried with the gas pedal held down, maybe this time limit was overridden (?).

#3 ·
There are several different comments packed into above...

Were air conditioning or any other systems running to trigger the engine cycling? I don't think I've experienced a cycling 60-second run of the engine, but then again I haven't idled the car for long when not driving.

Regarding the car shutting down, how long had the car been on and in Park? Perhaps it hit the "30-60 minute" window mentioned below (OM19 pg 191), after which time the car powers down to conserve 12V battery. And when re-tried with the gas pedal held down, maybe this time limit was overridden (?).
View attachment 5797
Allow me to clarify a bit. The car was “running” (All systems on, ready to drive but engine was not running). The A/C was off, but climate control was on. The car usually starts the engine and runs for 60 seconds or so every 5-10 mins if you’re just sitting in park with it running to keep the battery above 2 bars. Regarding shutting off, I meant the engine stopped running, not the vehicle shutting off. I will edit my original post to clarify these points.

#5 ·
The climate control system can also be used to keep the engine on... though less directly/predictably as foot-on-pedal since it depends on relative cabin-to-exterior temperature difference. But using the climate control system in this way would allow someone working on car by themselves to get the gas engine running and still be able to walk around to inspect.

In winter, cranking up the heat set poin should keep the ICE running. And in summer, keeping the A/C running by entering a low set point (while also at low HV battery level) should also keep the ICE running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.