Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. As the title suggests, we made a rather unique trade about a week ago. I purchased a 2016 Lexus GS350 F Sport AWD about 6 months ago since I was working from home almost exclusively. Recently, I'm now in a position to where I'll be driving a good bit more going from one office to another office a few times a week here in the Atlanta metro area. The GS was a fantastic car, but I bought it as a bit of an impulse and after a couple of weeks of ownership I started noticing a few cosmetic flaws from the previous owner that I didn't see at time of purchase. Well, all of that combined with finding a leftover new 2020 Insight Touring locally led to the trade. The amount of equity I had in the Lexus covered all but a couple thousand of the total price of the Insight so I made the trade. Just FYI: the GS, especially being the full time AWD variant, MIGHT have hit 24mpg on the freeway at 65mph and was around 17mpg or so in the city; premium gas was required as well. So I've quite literally tripled my mpgs in town and the price per gallon is almost a $1 less too. While the Insight is definitely not as fancy or composed at high speeds as the Lexus, it definitely is a very fine and well equipped car in its own right.

Picture is of my other half with our salesman the (late) night we finally wrapped everything up and brought it home.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,470 Posts
Congratulations! I see you purchased the best color too!

I was amazed myself when I realized I more than doubled my MPG when I switched to the Insight. Many happy miles!

Reactions: ecamden79

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow! I’m also in the Atlanta area and am also a recent Insight owner. I was definitely thinking about that leftover 2020 model at that dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congratulations on the new Insight! I wish they did multi-coat paint on these car because the two tone look on the bumpers look terrible to me on anything but black, really messes with my OCD. I just dropped mine of to be lowered. I’ll post some pictures after I get a wash and tire dressing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello fellow Atlanta peeps. I'm up in Cumming. We bought our 2020 EX Platinum White from Honda Mall of Georgia. I still haven't seen another Insight in the wild. My buddy has a Clarity which is even rarer. I've only seen 2 of those in 2+ years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello fellow Atlanta peeps. I'm up in Cumming. We bought our 2020 EX Platinum White from Honda Mall of Georgia. I still haven't seen another Insight in the wild. My buddy has a Clarity which is even rarer. I've only seen 2 of those in 2+ years.
I'm located in the midtown area. Picked up my 2021 Touring in Cosmic Blue Metallic from Ed Voyles very recently.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love the results of the drop! I highly recommend D2 Springs if you are looking to make the Insight less monster truck looking.

Drop me a message if you want more angles of the fender or clearance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats! I also have a 2020 Plat. White EX and I love it - I ALSO love Lexus vehicles but it makes sense for your situation to get an Insight. Especially with the premium fuel only issue - that tips the scale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everyone! So far so good with the Insight. I'll have to do the first fuel up tomorrow and it seems, according to the monitor, I've been getting 45-47 mpg on the freeway with cruise control set on the speed limit - 70mph - and mid 50s on average at slower two lane highway speeds and around the city streets. I did manage 72mpg avg on a 6 mile stretch driving home from the barber shop last weekend as the speed limit on the back way home was 30-35 and I really focused on coasting and just enough throttle to maintain a steady 30-35mph.

I did miss the power (and sound) of the Lexus a couple of times as I had to pass a slow poke on the freeway; I understand this, of course, is a trade off for superlative fuel economy. It's a good trade off for my intended use for the car currently.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Next time you need power to pass a vehicle, switch it into SPORT mode and hit the accelerator. I believe you will be surprised!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next time you need power to pass a vehicle, switch it into SPORT mode and hit the accelerator. I believe you will be surprised!!
I did as an experiment and it definitely felt a bit better. I'm just lamenting a bit of going from 300+hp to half that on the highway, haha.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I did as an experiment and it definitely felt a bit better. I'm just lamenting a bit of going from 300+hp to half that on the highway, haha.
To paraphrase a quote from the distant past. "If ya can afford to drive a Lexus you don't need to worry about the price of gas."

On the other hand, there is no free lunch in our economic world. Its just that, the push to the back of the seat acceleration costs more than many think.

Yet it looks like your Insight is being driven in conditions that give great mpg. That 72 mpg is fantastic, and low 50's tankful after tankful can add up over time. Perhaps enough to help meet the monthly payment?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,470 Posts
To paraphrase a quote from the distant past. "If ya can afford to drive a Lexus you don't need to worry about the price of gas."
I remember my dad saying that to a neighbor who bought a Cadillac back in the late 70s. The guy had complained he only got 12mpg.

I got 59.7mpg on a highway drive earlier today and was totally devastated.

Reactions: Moviemike

·
Registered
331 Posts
Devastated ? Not bad actually, considering winter cold and highway speeds.
My last highway trip was pre-covid. I think I got in low to mid 50's mpg for the round trip and was very pleased to get it. That number included some high 60's mpg at low speed through small towns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, everyone! So far so good with the Insight. I'll have to do the first fuel up tomorrow and it seems, according to the monitor, I've been getting 45-47 mpg on the freeway with cruise control set on the speed limit - 70mph - and mid 50s on average at slower two lane highway speeds and around the city streets. I did manage 72mpg avg on a 6 mile stretch driving home from the barber shop last weekend as the speed limit on the back way home was 30-35 and I really focused on coasting and just enough throttle to maintain a steady 30-35mph.

I did miss the power (and sound) of the Lexus a couple of times as I had to pass a slow poke on the freeway; I understand this, of course, is a trade off for superlative fuel economy. It's a good trade off for my intended use for the car currently.
I remember my dad saying that to a neighbor who bought a Cadillac back in the late 70s. The guy had complained he only got 12mpg.

Y’all are doing great!!! I have a 2020 touring insight and I’m getting like 35-37 on the freeway... Assuming it’s all about speed. I usually drive around 80-85.

·
Administrator
4,709 Posts
Y’all are doing great!!! I have a 2020 touring insight and I’m getting like 35-37 on the freeway... Assuming it’s all about speed. I usually drive around 80-85.
Yes, speeds over ~65 mph directly reduce fuel economy, since the gas engine works more constantly to direct-drive the wheels at the higher speed.

Here are a couple threads that may be of interest, related to highway speeds and fuel economy:
- 41mpg at 75mph cruise control
- Highway Driving

·
Registered
271 Posts
I still love my 2019! I've been averaging over 54 mpg during the winter out here in western Colorado. And it's been colder here than back in Denver, where I used to drive. . .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts