Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took advantage of bloated used car values and parted with my gas guzzler for this 2022 EX. Normally never buy brand new cars but I do miss that new car smell! I had many Hondas before including a 2013 Insight and my current MDX. Going to ride out the next few years of economic uncertainty in this beaut!
-Nick
MI

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,622 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! The EX is a solid trim choice with better MPGs than the Touring to boot! If you want to geek out and start tracking your mileage, be sure to join Fuelly.com. Many from this forum post fill-ups to that site and use the summary banners in our signatures.

Here's to many trouble-free miles in your new Insight!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow.... C63 to Insight?! How is your experience compared to the C63?

Our Honda dealer sent us a really great offer for our Insight and I really wanted to unload it, then I realized they would probably only give me that if I bought another Honda at some inflated price.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow that's quite a change of speed. Surprised you didn't consider a Taycan or Tesla of some kind, just to not lose out on the speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow.... C63 to Insight?! How is your experience compared to the C63?

Our Honda dealer sent us a really great offer for our Insight and I really wanted to unload it, then I realized they would probably only give me that if I bought another Honda at some inflated price.
Had the C63 for 3 years, it was a fun car with no issues. Only drove it about 2500 miles a year since MI winters are pretty tough. Oil changes at the dealer were $320 and the nearest dealer was an hour away. The prices are so bloated on used cars right now so I made money on the car. Maybe get another one some day when everything comes back down to earth, but for now just going to ride out the next few years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow that's quite a change of speed. Surprised you didn't consider a Taycan or Tesla of some kind, just to not lose out on the speed.
Wanted something that would be reliable and trim expenses all around for the time being. I looked at Tesla’s but still not that interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what do you think of the car compared to what you've been driving?
They’re night and day different.

Insight is a nice car, good technology and value. It’s a nice upgrade from the 2013 Insight I had, which got about 45mpg avg. The Benz was just a beast, one of the last analog muscle cars. Best sounding stock engine ever made and turned a lot of heads.

The Insight driving experience is more about learning how to milk the MPG and making a game out of it. It’s a comfy commuter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wanted something that would be reliable and trim expenses all around for the time being. I looked at Tesla’s but still not that interested.
Having both an 2019 Insight EX and a 2019 Model 3 Long Range RWD in the garage, the Model 3 is cheaper. Fuel/energy and routine maintenance.

So the Insight gets around 50 mpg mixed driving so for 500 miles that's 10 gals, and I think gas is maybe $4.09 here.. let's just call it $4, that's $40 bucks.

The Model 3 gets .258 kWh/mi. For 500 miles that's 129 kWh consumed. At around $.25/kWh that's $32 for 500 miles.
Roughly 20% cheaper than an Insight. Against a 3 series, Accord or Camry, the savings are a landslide since those cars mpgs are only in the 30-40 mpg range.

Regular maintenance wise, it's a landslide. The only regular maintenance is cabin filter and washer fluid and wipers.

I can see how the C63 maintenance breaks the bank.. we had 3 C43 here at work, from car enthusiast and proper conservative high level finance ladiEs. I just never understood why those ladies would buy an AMG over a regular C300.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
25k new vs. not 25k new
Gas is <$3 a gallon right now here in MI.
I never got a quote on insurance for Tesla but the Insight is $400 less a year than C63, and likely less than Tesla too.
Maintenance may be cheaper for Tesla but you need to factor in total car cost of ownership starting from the purchase price.

Maybe one day full electric, but not yet.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
205 Posts
I never got a quote on insurance for Tesla but the Insight is $400 less a year than C63, and likely less than Tesla too.
Maintenance may be cheaper for Tesla but you need to factor in total car cost of ownership starting from the purchase price.
What I found for cost of ownership were these figures from CarEdge for both vehicles:

Lots of details on the breakdowns on each of those links for depreciation, insurance, maintenance/repairs, loan interest, and fuel costs.

Reactions: jensight

·
Registered
190 Posts
25k new vs. not 25k new
Gas is <$3 a gallon right now here in MI.

Maybe one day full electric, but not yet.
Insurance does cost more, no doubt about that, the comprehensive replacement cost is a lot higher. I tried to stick to just fueling/energy and regular maintenance costs in the previous post.

but Yes.. the Model 3 car does cost a lot more. The down payment I put on the Tesla was almost the outright purchase price of the Insight. The monthly payment on the Model 3 is $200 higher than the Insight, but that was by design. With my Accord, I was spending $200-240 a month on gas, but since I can get free charging in my area, I was able to offset that cost of gas. I rarely ever plug in my car at home. My cost of charging is nearly zero, except when I road trip, but I was able to offset that with approx 9000 miles of free away from home charging... to which I've spent over 15-17k miles road tripping so I do have to pay out of pocket, but it's a fraction of what I would have spent on gas. Accounting for gas savings up to the point of 5 year loan payoff, cost of the Model 3 is about $16 to 17k more than Insight, taking into tax and rebate incentives available then (most of that has now disappeared), to which I applied to the covering the down payment, the cost difference is narrowed to approx $10k.

Another factor is future cost of fueling / energy. I realize that people won't be giving out free electricity forever, and sooner or later, I will have to plug in at home. Given that, I've ordered a solar installation. I'm still 1-2 months away from installation, but after the initial 6 year return on investment period, the next 19-24 years of the 25-30 yr estimated life of the panel will be free electricity. I know this doesn't work in all climates, but it does in the southern sun belt. So future cars, from whomever I purchase from will essentially be free energy to drive around.

but anybody with a solar can utilize the same benefit.. especially if you have a solar that has already had its ROI fully achieved. One of my neighbors who has a solar install for a decade, just dumped his last ICE vehicle, an Accord EX for a second Tesla, which is another double the price up front vehicle.

When I look at the long game, I feel the Model 3 is definitely cost competitive despite the higher purchase price at least from the operational point of view.

I spent a lot of time running the numbers before I bought the car, and I was very hesitant, but after buying it, i realized there are also a lot of other soft benefits I get from the car that are not so easy to associate a cost with, so these days, we look at the Model 3 as a great purchase.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I wonder about the quality of build in the long run Honda Vs Tesla. I feel like the build quality is a little less on my Insight than it was on my 2008 Civic. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Insight - it just seemed like rattles were non existent on my older Civic than they are on my Insight - of course the Insight is a LOT quieter in the city than the Civic was so the extra noise could have covered up the rattles etc.. The windshield on my Civic was DEFINITALLY stronger, the Insights windshield seems "soft" comparatively speaking. As for the glass on the Tesla - I know that for the modern Hondas the calibration alone for windshield replacement is in the neighborhood of $300 + glass, I don't even want to know what the windshield would cost on a Tesla..

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
205 Posts
I feel like the build quality is a little less on my Insight than it was on my 2008 Civic. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Insight - it just seemed like rattles were non existent on my older Civic than they are on my Insight - of course the Insight is a LOT quieter in the city than the Civic was so the extra noise could have covered up the rattles etc.. The windshield on my Civic was DEFINITALLY stronger, the Insights windshield seems "soft" comparatively speaking.
I got my 2007 Civic EX when it was already 3 years old, and my 2019 Insight Touring when it was 3 months old. I did take some more time to silence rattles, but most of those appeared when it was cold. With my second winter in 2021, I've noticed them less and have forgiven others when the car just needs to warm up a bit.

I do agree that the windshield of my 2007 Civic took a lot of punishment and had no cracks for the dozen odd years with me. I think it was 2020 when I got a crack that started as 1 cm. that when it has been sitting in the summer sun has grown to 3 cm. Once it begins interfering with camera operation, I'll get it replaced (my glass coverage has a deductible) since there's no assurance that new glass won't get cracked right away.

I think when I first got the Insight I was driving 65 mph...and now, I'm down to 60 mph highway. Wondering if that'll reduce glass damage (I swear I wasn't ACC drafting that day, and at 60 mph it's getting harder to find trucks/RVs going that slow).

Reactions: Mobilcams

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
My Insight's windshield has been holding up fine(no cracks) but a couple of chips from flying rocks. No rattles either except during the Winter where the plastic dashboard would rattle as I hit bumps on the road until the cabin warms up enough.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wonder about the quality of build in the long run Honda Vs Tesla. I feel like the build quality is a little less on my Insight than it was on my 2008 Civic. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Insight - it just seemed like rattles were non existent on my older Civic than they are on my Insight - of course the Insight is a LOT quieter in the city than the Civic was so the extra noise could have covered up the rattles etc.. The windshield on my Civic was DEFINITALLY stronger, the Insights windshield seems "soft" comparatively speaking. As for the glass on the Tesla - I know that for the modern Hondas the calibration alone for windshield replacement is in the neighborhood of $300 + glass, I don't even want to know what the windshield would cost on a Tesla..

I had the Insight Windshield replaced with a FuYao for less than $400 if I recall. There's a thread somewhere about that. No calibration needed. Everything works fine.

Windshield replacement on a model 3 will run you $1100.

The build quality of the Tesla is pretty crappy. Well to contrast the Insight, the materials are pretty crappy in the Insight IMHO... Still below an accord certainly better than other cars in it's size class.
While the interior fit is good. The body panel fit is crap though. I've compared it to other civics and the civic panel fit is crap too. Honda used to master this but they've lost their way.

My insight has no rattles at all, and neither did any one of my previous 6 Hondas. Honda is a master at interior fit. The Model 3 interior is designed to be assembled completely by snapping together. I've actually stripped the entire interior from the trunk to the front seats. You not need a single screw driver, just some plastic pry tools. Elon's goal to reduce manufacturing costs as much possible. The materials are pretty good IMHO. Not as good as a 3 series, but the design of the seats is excellent as is the interior. Definitely better than a C class. The fit though sucks cause it's all snap together. You will hear random squeaks and other junks depending on the temp and road conditions. For instance when I turn on the AC you can hear the front gives a slight creaks as the thermal expansion contraction comes into play.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts