Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My safety alerts warnings on the dashboard suddenly went amber indicating that everything associated with the front end radar and/or camera needed to be looked at by my dealer. This was with a clean bumper and radar cover area and a clean windshield.

The final upshot is that the dealer service people found that there were three missing locking clips that hold the radar assemble onto a bracket behind the front bumper. I have no idea how these would suddenly go missing but replacement of the three clips and re-aiming of the radar resolved the problem under warranty. I am guessing that the original clips might have gradually worked their way off the radar assembly but things still worked until the last clip let go and the radar assembly shifted out of position.

This might be a good bit of information for anyone who experiences the same problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Glad you were able to resolve the issue quickly. Being in Canada, have you had much snow/ice buildup on past drives that you've had to physically clear away in the past, which might have loosened the mounting clips?

There's a Service Bulletin for millimeter wave radar alignment that includes the 2017-18 CRV, 2018 Accord, 2018 Accord Hybrid, 2017-18 Civic, and 2019 Insight. Removing and replacing mounting clips with damaged or missing tabs is the primary recommendation. And replacement of the radar only if it still doesn't work after that. Based on this, it sounds like Honda is acknowledging that the clips can get damaged and/or go missing (?). The Insight is the last/latest affected model year vehicle on the list.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10144375-9999.pdf

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had to clean off the bumper only once so far this year after our first snow fall. The last snow fall did not affect me because I stayed home and avoided all of the fun. Since the mounting bracket that holds the radar assembly is immediately behind the panel on the front bumper I thought that a "gentle" contact with a parking lot concrete divider might have flexed things a bit and loosened the clips. However, in looking at a diagram at one of the Honda resale web sites, I don't see that happening.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Since the mounting bracket that holds the radar assembly is immediately behind the panel on the front bumper I thought that a "gentle" contact with a parking lot concrete divider might have flexed things a bit and loosened the clips. However, in looking at a diagram at one of the Honda resale web sites, I don't see that happening.
What do you think of the 'good clip' and 'bad clip' pictures in the Service Bulletin? Did they resemble what occurred for you, or could they have fallen out the backside, if the tabs went missing from impact?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not see the before and after clips as my wife took the car in and waited until it was ready. All I saw was the invoice with the three clips added as new items since the originals were missing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts