Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I PM'ed Andrew, but if anyone else knows how to track down the part number for the Japanese (all chrome) grille, kindly let me know!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
I PM'ed Andrew, but if anyone else knows how to track down the part number for the Japanese (all chrome) grille, kindly let me know!
You would probably need to understand Japanese to find the part number and have the ability to import the part from Japan. The all chrome grille is exclusive to the Japanese Insight. You could also wait and see what the 2020 model year Insight will be like here in the US. If they bring the Japanese Insight design here, the part should be available for ordering, at your local Honda dealership.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would probably need to understand Japanese to find the part number and have the ability to import the part from Japan. The all chrome grille is exclusive to the Japanese Insight. You could also wait and see what the 2020 model year Insight will be like here in the US. If they bring the Japanese Insight design here, the part should be available for ordering, at your local Honda dealership.
Thanks Andrew. I think it's just a matter of finding the right Japanese parts dealer where language is not such a barrier, and deciding whether it's worth the premium to import the grille. I don't hold out much hope of the Japanese accoutrements being made available in the US, as these style decisions are pretty much baked in by the time a new generation is launched. Honda puts a lot of effort into market analysis and crunching the numbers carefully to make each of the decisions about parts and trim.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Thanks Andrew. I think it's just a matter of finding the right Japanese parts dealer where language is not such a barrier, and deciding whether it's worth the premium to import the grille. I don't hold out much hope of the Japanese accoutrements being made available in the US, as these style decisions are pretty much baked in by the time a new generation is launched. Honda puts a lot of effort into market analysis and crunching the numbers carefully to make each of the decisions about parts and trim.
...or there's the option of online communication + Google Translate!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...or there's the option of online communication + Google Translate!
I feel comfortable doing that in some languages like Italian or German, but not Asian languages. If an parts dealer is advertising to a US audience, they should be able to help in English. Anyway, I may have reached one importer who can help me. The others are trying to sell me the entire car, haha.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
I was browsing eBay and noticed this seller from Japan selling genuine 2019 Japanese Honda Insight parts. Maybe try reaching out to him and see if he can locate the all chrome front bumper. https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=zeroism702&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=honda+insight+2019&_sop=1

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
At those prices that Japanese seller might just be disassembling his one Insight and selling it one part at a time!
I would had wanted the following...

• front bumper lip spoiler
  • rear bumper skirt spoiler
  • front & rear black chrome emblem
but yeah too rich for me. :sad:

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I feel comfortable doing that in some languages like Italian or German, but not Asian languages. If an parts dealer is advertising to a US audience, they should be able to help in English. Anyway, I may have reached one importer who can help me. The others are trying to sell me the entire car, haha.
In case you haven't already come across this, I noticed that Japanese Insight models are identified by letter/number abbreviation, rather than by model year. These codes are indicated in the car's VIN, and the current Gen3 Insight is "ZE4." It might help in your communications with Japanese importers to use their own model terms.

Gen 1 = 1999 - 2006 = ZE1
Gen 2a = 2009 - 2011 = ZE2
Gen 2b = 2011 - 2014 = ZE3
Gen 3 = 2019 - TBA = ZE4

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
In case you haven't already come across this, I noticed that Japanese Insight models are identified by letter/number abbreviation, rather than by model year. These codes are indicated in the car's VIN, and the current Gen3 Insight is "ZE4." It might help in your communications with Japanese importers to use their own model terms.

Gen 3 = 2019 - TBA = ZE4
This actually helped me find another Japanese eBay seller that seems to be more reasonable(still expensive) with pricing. https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?epid=18028365900&_ssn=jdm_enjoy_shoppin&hash=item3b28feab23%3Ag%3AxeQAAOSwlkpcSDhm&item=254090849059&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ze4+insight&_sop=15

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Glad it helped. I noticed the alternate ebay seller you found refers to their parts as both JDM (Japanese domestic market) and OEM (original equipment manufacturer). JDM usually refers to parts for the Japanese version of a vehicle, so using this acronym may also help @gremal find the Japanese-specific chrome grille.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was browsing eBay and noticed this seller from Japan selling genuine 2019 Japanese Honda Insight parts. Maybe try reaching out to him and see if he can locate the all chrome front bumper. https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=zeroism702&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=honda+insight+2019&_sop=1
Thanks @andrew28 -- I think I've found a parts importer named Shin who may be able to help me. He's working to get me a quote. Fingers crossed it's affordable for the grille.

At those prices that Japanese seller might just be disassembling his one Insight and selling it one part at a time!
I think that's just the list price cost of the part, maybe with some added cost for whatever the seller has to deal with to get it in stock and for handling? The US doesn't make it easy or cheap to send things from other countries.

I would had wanted the following...

• front bumper lip spoiler
  • rear bumper skirt spoiler
  • front & rear black chrome emblem
but yeah too rich for me. :sad:
Yes I really like the black chrome emblem but, as pointed out earlier, it doesn't match the bright chrome around the windows. The skirt upgrades are very cool but impractical for me because I was already scraping on my own driveway and elsewhere. I had to spend a couple hundred bucks on a curb bridge, as my street doesn't have normal curbs but rounded curbs instead. Some of my neighbors have that "bridjit" heavy duty rubber you may have seen.

Gen 3 = 2019 - TBA = ZE4
Thanks @insightfully. If Shin can't help me I'll look into this further.

I'd prefer to black out the chrome on my Insight. Especially around the windows. I have a white EX, so it likely makes more sense with that color. I'm just too cheap!
I'm sure the black chrome reads well with the white Insight but not so sure it's better looking than the bright chrome to my taste. The black reads more "tech" to me, and the bright chrome reads more like a throwback to classier, old-school sedans. The Insight really straddles that line between the latest innovations and an old-school ride. That's one reason I'm so interested in getting the all-chrome grille, if it seems reasonably priced. It just suits the car better IMO. But if anyone likes the black chrome better and decks out their white car with it I'd love to see that!

The wheels are another matter--I'd rather go a bit darker. I really like the Mugen 18" wheels for the Japanese Insight but they're pricey and they may add some weight relative to my 16" alloys (although the Mugens are supposedly lighter than the 17" alloys--I just can't find the weight spec of the Mugens anywhere).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, of course it's not one part -- that would be too easy -- but at least 10 parts, as shown in the diagram.

My question is whether those 10 pieces can be installed on the US grille or whether additional parts are needed from Japan. Do you think I can order just the 10 pieces?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I've identified the 12 parts needed for the chrome grille and had them priced by my contact in Japan for a grand total of USD 568.36. Not sure how much it will add for S&H.

Reactions: JdmZE4

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anyone purchased the front grill Honda Insight accessory/upgrade? Do you have a before and after photo?

I took off the front license plate bracket and it left holes. This would be an easy solution to fix the unsightly screw holes.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
Has anyone purchased the front grill Honda Insight accessory/upgrade? Do you have a before and after photo?

I took off the front license plate bracket and it left holes. This would be an easy solution to fix the unsightly screw holes.
What front grille accessory?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts