Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching, but interested in the latest thoughts on aftermarket seat covers which won't interfere with airbags....

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I've been eyeing Cover King seat covers which are specifically designed for the Insight with side airbags. Just need to come up with a spare few hundred to make it happen!

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Keep in mind there's always risk that airbags won't deploy properly thru aftermarket seat cover seams, even if intended/designed to accommodate. I accept this risk in that I chose to install front seat covers. But I think this liability is why Honda only offers rear seat covers and not the front ones.

You should be able to find several options for LX/EX Insight front seat covers by researching Civic options. The seat measurements I took between floor models was nearly identical for front and rear seats. For the Touring Insight, @Verdier cautioned that the Cover King / Neosupreme product doesn't take into account the power controls (yet).

@Min Pin bought Rixxu Classic Series Seat Covers (pictured in post #15 to #17 of this other thread) which look really fitted, polished and OEM-like.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the reminder, will probably pass on the seat covers for that reason

Keep in mind there's always risk that airbags won't deploy properly thru aftermarket seat cover seams, even if intended/designed to accommodate. I accept this risk in that I chose to install front seat covers. But I think this liability is why Honda only offers rear seat covers and not the front ones.

You should be able to find several options for LX/EX Insight front seat covers by researching Civic options. The seat measurements I took between floor models was nearly identical for front and rear seats. For the Touring Insight, @Verdier cautioned that the Cover King / Neosupreme product doesn't take into account the power controls (yet).

@Min Pin bought Rixxu Classic Series Seat Covers (pictured in post #14 to #16 of this other thread) which look really fitted, polished and OEM-like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got the Rixxu Classic seat covers that another member has. They look really nice. Not a perfect fit, but definitely look good. They don't even have sides, so no airbag deployment issues hopefully.

I got the matching back bench cover as well, but there are issues with that. It's too wide and not adjustable. The seat bottom looks weird because of the design where it covers a gap with a wide patch that ends up covering the actual seat area as well. Plus, our rear headrests do not adjust making the headrest covers not really work at all.

The fronts are awesome, but I'm trying to figure out how to make the back look nice so I have matching seats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Front and rear seat covers, can’t find any!

I’m an Uber driver and I really feel like the seat fabric isn’t the best quality, there are no oem covers, has anyone found aftermarket ones?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I’m an Uber driver and I really feel like the seat fabric isn’t the best quality, there are no oem covers, has anyone found aftermarket ones?
See posts above for discussion on front seat covers. For rear seat covers, the Civic OEM version fits well and is durable material, if you don't mind the tone-on-tone Civic logo. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/321-interior/114-rear-seat-covers.html

Overall, the Insight and Civic have the same seat measurements/contours. There are way more GenX Civics sold and on the road, so there should be plenty of options to choose from. If you find something that fits the GenX Civic seats, it will fit the Insight.

·
Registered
4 Posts

@Min Pin bought Rixxu Classic Series Seat Covers (pictured in post #14 to #16 of this other thread) which look really fitted, polished and OEM-like.
I'm coming late to this thread; I hope people are still following it and offering advice.
I'm thinking of getting front seat covers (the Cover Kings look good). I don't understand the concern about seat covers interfering with the airbags, which are in the car's frame, not the seats. The Cover King covers fit pretty tightly on the seats, so I don't see the potential for interference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using saddleman saddle blanket seat covers for a while now, i did not expect the quality this good. The comfort, fabric quality is nice and in budget too. So overall it was a great deal for me, here's the link reference: Saddle Blanket Seat Covers

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I'm coming late to this thread; I hope people are still following it and offering advice.
I'm thinking of getting front seat covers (the Cover Kings look good). I don't understand the concern about seat covers interfering with the airbags, which are in the car's frame, not the seats. The Cover King covers fit pretty tightly on the seats, so I don't see the potential for interference.
Replying to a thread bumps it to the top of the 'New Posts' kind of reactivating it. :)

You're correct that most of the airbags are in the car's frame, but side airbags are specifically built into the driver's left side and front passenger right side seatbacks which creates the concern. Front seat covers should have sides open, or have special 'laser cut' seams to allow for tearaway in case of side airbag activation.

There's a tag on each of these locations in the seatback to indicate the side airbag position. Pictures from Owners Manual (OM19 pp 7, 51) are below, with the side airbag locations highlighted red.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I have been using saddleman saddle blanket seat covers for a while now, i did not expect the quality this good. The comfort, fabric quality is nice and in budget too. So overall it was a great deal for me, here's the link reference: Saddle Blanket Seat Covers
The Insight isn't listed as Honda model option on the site. What led you to find/order this as a seat cover option? Does the material have any stretch/give or is it non-stretchable? If non-stretchable, it seems like fit might be a concern (?).

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I am close to ordering Cover King covers for my Insight. I've been lurking on their site for over a year now. They sent me free samples a while back. I suppose I should finally order them. I'm going to order the fronts to start and see how they fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Replying to a thread bumps it to the top of the 'New Posts' kind of reactivating it. :)

You're correct that most of the airbags are in the car's frame, but side airbags are specifically built into the driver's left side and front passenger right side seatbacks which creates the concern. Front seat covers should have sides open, or have special 'laser cut' seams to allow for tearaway in case of side airbag activation.

There's a tag on each of these locations in the seatback to indicate the side airbag position. Pictures from Owners Manual (OM19 pp 7, 51) are below, with the side airbag locations highlighted red.
View attachment 5758
View attachment 5759
Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't tell from the diagram I have that the side airbags are actually IN the seat! :oops: (I wouldn't even be considering seat covers if Honda hadn't made the seats with off white/gray cloth.)

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't tell from the diagram I have that the side airbags are actually IN the seat! :oops: (I wouldn't even be considering seat covers if Honda hadn't made the seats with off white/gray cloth.)
Gotcha. So you must own the Cosmic Blue, Crimson Pearl or Platinum/Orchid White exterior. Those are the models with LX/EX cloth seat option in ivory. Hopefully some of the leads above are helpful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts