Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going into my second month of ownership (about 3k miles) everything worked perfect on my insight but now my infotainment screen pretty much always freezes up when I start my car. It usually unfreezes itself after about 10 min of driving... Once the reverse camera was not coming up too. I tried the Power - Neutral - reverse trick to reset the andriod system and was successful because the uptime went from a large amount of time down to zero however that did not help my freezing issue. It does not matter if I have a phone plugged in or not, it freezes in both scenarios however if I do have my phone plugged in it will recognize it and play audio through apple play. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I work a LOT and really don't want to have to take PTO to bring my brand new car to the dealership.

below are 2 videos showing the problem- as you can see the hard physical buttons do not work either.

PS: the only thing I haven't tried yet is resetting all factory setting on the display when its not frozen because most people say that does not help and I don't want to lose all my settings.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,285 Posts
Unfortunately, if you've reset it to no avail, your only option is the dealer. I have a friend who took his Accord hybrid in for the same issue. They wound up replacing the unit.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Agree with hasarad that a trip to dealer is in order. Especially with your mention of back-up camera going blank, I'm wondering if you're missing the firmware update from this back-up camera recall -? The dealer is supposed to check for and load updates before delivery but perhaps this was missed. Or maybe your car was built before Sep 2018 (check production date on tag inside driver's side door jamb), even though purchased in Mar 2019 -?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
American Honda will voluntarily recall approximately 232,000 model year 2018 Honda Accord vehicles and model year 2019 Honda Insight vehicles in the United States to update the software that controls the rear camera display, free of charge. Due to incorrect software programming, the center screen that normally displays the rearview image may not provide the image during backing events following certain usage scenarios, even after the vehicle is restarted. A failure to display the rearview image does not comply with federal requirements (FMVSS 111, Rear visibility) and could increase the risk of a crash. Honda has received no reports of crashes or injuries related to this issue.
Seems like the dealership forgot to do the recall before delivering the vehicle to you. Even if they did do the recall, that head unit would need to be repair/replace to comply with federal law, due to the backup cam function not working.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Seems like the dealership forgot to do the recall before delivering the vehicle to you. Even if they did do the recall, that head unit would need to be repair/replace to comply with federal law, due to the backup cam function not working.
Could you provide further info on the conditions that trigger head unit replacement under federal regulation? I thought that the software update was all that was done as part of Honda's back-up camera recalls... did they have an exception of some sort?

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Could you provide further info on the conditions that trigger head unit replacement under federal regulation? I thought that the software update was all that was done as part of Honda's back-up camera recalls... did they have an exception of some sort?
Federal law requires the back-up camera to function for vehicles manufactured after 5/2018(FMVSS 111). Honda's solution to fix it was a software update. If that solution doesn't fix @Matt Dornblaser's issue with the back-up camera. Honda would be responsible to find a solution that will and that would most likely be repairing/replacing the hardware (head unit, back-up camera, etc..).

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Federal law requires the back-up camera to function for vehicles manufactured after 5/2018(FMVSS 111). Honda's solution to fix it was a software update. If that solution doesn't fix @Matt Dornblaser's issue with the back-up camera. Honda would be responsible to find a solution that will and that would most likely be repairing/replacing the hardware (head unit, back-up camera, etc..).
Ah, thanks. I had read it as 'any' issue with back-up camera requires replacement under law (rather than if issue continues).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick follow up- I took my car to Honda and they could not replicate the problem, gave me the car back and the very next morning the screen was frozen again. At this point I am VERY frustrated and e-mailed the Honda service manager a link to my youtube channel showing the frozen screen. I do not have time to keep going back to honda to get this fixes so I hope they can come up with a plan other then bring it in and hope it does not work by the time get they to it.....

These videos show whats going on

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVj_CF2LGCnz_1QVfs2T-ow?view_as=subscriber

At one point someone from service kind of insinuated i was doing something weird to cause it so there is a video of me walking up to the car, hit the brake, hit power button and its frozen... this is VERY frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Quick follow up- I took my car to Honda and they could not replicate the problem, gave me the car back and the very next morning the screen was frozen again. At this point I am VERY frustrated and e-mailed the Honda service manager a link to my youtube channel showing the frozen screen. I do not have time to keep going back to honda to get this fixes so I hope they can come up with a plan other then bring it in and hope it does not work by the time get they to it.....

These videos show whats going on

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVj_CF2LGCnz_1QVfs2T-ow?view_as=subscriber

At one point someone from service kind of insinuated i was doing something weird to cause it so there is a video of me walking up to the car, hit the brake, hit power button and its frozen... this is VERY frustrating.
If you have another Honda dealership nearby, maybe try bringing it to them? If not I would contact Honda corporate via phone or live chat. https://owners.honda.com/help/customer-relations

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Did the dealer do anything while they had your car? Even if they can't replicate the problem, having them reset the infotainment system or at least ensure it's up-to-date sounds like the least they could do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They said that they did a factory reset with the computer. It did nothing to fix the problem. I have done a " restore to factory settings" and also the Power- reverse- neutral and it does reset but does not fix the problem. Ive got another service visit scheduled for Monday.. fingers crossed

Today I experienced a fun nee feature, the screen just went black for 7 min.

I want to love this car so much but this is SO frustrating.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Out of curiosity - when was your car built? (See driver door jamb sticker for MM/YYYY production info.) Wondering if is an Insight that was sitting on the dealer lot for a while, and maybe missed software updates?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,285 Posts
Out of curiosity - when was your car built? (See driver door jamb sticker for MM/YYYY production info.) Wondering if is an Insight that was sitting on the dealer lot for a while, and maybe missed software updates?
Connecting to your home's wifi should result in an update if one is available (with the exception of firmware updates like the rear-view camera one). I have a friend with an Accord hybrid that has had screen reboots unexpectedly. He was told Honda knows about it and will be releasing an update in the next month. Here's to hoping it applies to the Insight as well. Mine rebooted twice so far. One of the times was where I was using AA to navigate, and I had to pull over to wait for it to come back up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
manufacture date is 10/2018

since I got my car back the screen has been freeing 100% of the time I get in so Honda should be able to replicate it Monday. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Connecting to your home's wifi should result in an update if one is available (with the exception of firmware updates like the rear-view camera one). I have a friend with an Accord hybrid that has had screen reboots unexpectedly. He was told Honda knows about it and will be releasing an update in the next month. Here's to hoping it applies to the Insight as well. Mine rebooted twice so far. One of the times was where I was using AA to navigate, and I had to pull over to wait for it to come back up.
I have connected it to my home WIFI - it is up to date. I had it reset once before all this started which I could easily live with. Having the screen freeze on start up is unacceptable. Especially because for work I am going to hospitals Ive never been before and rely on GPS to get me home and when I get in and it frozen I have to prop my tiny phone up in that holder and it will only show my direction in list form because it thinks apple car play is running so I am squinting down to read turn by turn directions on an I phone in a brand new car. Its pathetic.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
manufacture date is 10/2018

since I got my car back the screen has been freeing 100% of the time I get in so Honda should be able to replicate it Monday. Fingers crossed.
Wow, incredibly frustrating that the issue is now 100% of the time. I was guessing that yours was manufactured early in the production runs, but we actually have similar production dates and I haven't experienced any screen reboots or recalls to date (knock on wood).

Several people have commented on screen reboots throughout the forum but sadly, your situation sounds the most extreme of any reported here. I'm guessing that the dealer will replace your head unit since it's now totally unresponsive; hopefully that fixes everything.

Thanks for keeping us updated... hoping for the best on your next dealer visit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick update:

Took my car back to Honda on Monday. Service tech thought it was the non apple USB wire I was using for apple play. We disconnected the wire and it worked so I left. Stopped on the way home and when I came back the screen was frozen. Brought it back to Honda and the tech agreed that there was a problem. Today they called and said they replaced the screen and that the tech would test it today and tomorrow to make sure its fixed. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Final (hopefully) update

Hopefully this is the final update. The dealership determined that my LCD display was the cause of the problems and replaced it. They set me up in a nice 19 accord which was nice but it felt sooo good to get back in my insight today and so far the screen is fixed!

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Hopefully this is the final update. The dealership determined that my LCD display was the cause of the problems and replaced it. They set me up in a nice 19 accord which was nice but it felt sooo good to get back in my insight today and so far the screen is fixed!
Great to hear your screen is finally fixed. Thanks for keeping us updated!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts