Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to take my EX in today as the fuel door randomly opens. This has happened since the day I picked it up 3 weeks ago. They bent the hinge slightly to get it to latch properly. FYI in case someone else has the issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for sharing this! I have the fuel lid that doesn't line up very well with the rest of the body of the car, I mean it feels like it doesn't close properly when it's in the closed position. I got the car last week, so only drove it a few miles now, but not sure if this is something they can fix or it is already how it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing this! I have the fuel lid that doesn't line up very well with the rest of the body of the car, I mean it feels like it doesn't close properly when it's in the closed position. I got the car last week, so only drove it a few miles now, but not sure if this is something they can fix or it is already how it's supposed to be.
mine looked a little off too. It should be flush.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gas lid alignment fix

mine looked a little off too. It should be flush.
Mine was the same way, it sticks out a little from the body line.
I bent inside tab and now it is flush with the body. Be carful because it is painted part and damage may cause future rust. See before and after photos.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Mine was difficult to keep closed at the time of delivery. The deal was able to adjust it to stay closed. The probpem now is that I live in NJ - the lannd of no self-service gas. I can't tell you how many attendants just assume it's a Civic and start pressing on the filler door to open it when I pull up to the pump. I need a solution for that!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used a needle nose plyer with card board sandwitched inside. Try small bend first untill you get just the right depth.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I just bought my 2019 Insight EX and the fuel door was also not flush. Was told all of the Insight models are like this(I checked the other Insight in the showroom and it was the same). Dealer think it might be intentional, if not Honda will do a recall maybe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought my 2019 Insight EX and the fuel door was also not flush. Was told all of the Insight models are like this(I checked the other Insight in the showroom and it was the same). Dealer think it might be intentional, if not Honda will do a recall maybe.
I don't think it's normal, did you go back again to have them fix it?

·
Registered
558 Posts
You know I have checked 4 insights now and all "seem" to be misaligned when it comes to the gas covers. I put seems in quotes because I think it might actually be intentional. They look flush and I believe they are perfectly flush at the front but seem to taper just slightly outward toward the back rather than being 100% flush. I found it hard to completely verify since the gaps around the gas door are a bit wide to begin with and running your hand across the door and body can give off a sensation of misalignment due to these large gaps. However I'm in a dealership now and the ex in the showroom seems to have the back part of the door slightly outward of the rear body panel. I believe the same is happening on my car. Whether this is a factory misalignment or a design choice for some reason I have no idea. Well that's my 40 minutes worth of long winded opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I don't think it's normal, did you go back again to have them fix it?
They pretty much told me to go check the other Insights in the showroom. I did and they all had the same issue. They don't have a solution for it from Honda at this time. I have had soap from car wash and rain water get inside(Fuel door even froze once due to this). Luckily the car has a gas cap and that stuff just goes into the drain hole below the cap. I have reached out to Honda corporate and they just told me no reports of this issue. Due to no reports from other owners, they don't have an official solution for a fix, and it is up to the dealership to provide a resolution. They logged my report and closed out the case... Essentially I'm getting bounced back and forth. I haven't try my local Honda dealership(Bought my Insight at a different dealership) but will mention it when I'm due for regular service.

It hasn't really bother me much except that one time where the fuel door iced up and froze shut. The solution seems to be bending that tab as mention by @Min Pin .

They look flush and I believe they are perfectly flush at the front but seem to taper just slightly outward toward the back rather than being 100% flush.
This pretty much describes my Insight's fuel door. Flush in the front but just slightly outward in the back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just went in garage and looked at my fuel door. The front is flush and you can't push it in. The rear is out a little and you are able to push it in slightly. I guess if it is adjusted properly you will not be able to push the front edge or rear or rear edge in. Please confirm if you have bent the latch? to fix as mentioned before.. Thanks, Bogey

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I just went in garage and looked at my fuel door. The front is flush and you can't push it in. The rear is out a little and you are able to push it in slightly. I guess if it is adjusted properly you will not be able to push the front edge or rear or rear edge in. Please confirm if you have bent the latch? to fix as mentioned before.. Thanks, Bogey
In case you haven't seen it yet, there are some pictures and tips from @Min Pin on the adjustment, earlier in this thread:
- Post #5: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/3940-post5.html
- Post #8: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/3994-post8.html

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Jersey Insight Owners - who else hates it when the gas station attendant starts banging on the fuel door thinking it's a Civic? I've learned to open the fuel door BEFORE I pull up to the pump to discourage this behavior.

I would kill for self serve gas in NJ.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Jersey Insight Owners - who else hates it when the gas station attendant starts banging on the fuel door thinking it's a Civic? I've learned to open the fuel door BEFORE I pull up to the pump to discourage this behavior.

I would kill for self serve gas in NJ.
I had to google what the penalty was for self serve gas in NJ. It's $50 - $250 fine for the first offense, and not to exceed $500 for each subsequent offense thereafter.... :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is going to be a **** of a first post!

I'm actually talking to corporate about this issue, it started off where I had the gas door not flushed with the rest of the body and causing a gas door open warning on the dash while driving. I brought it the next day back to the dealership for a fix, they said they fixed the warning on the dash regarding the gas door, but physically looked like it still poked out towards the rear (I could put the tip of fingers between the gap of the body and the door), mentioned it to the SA and was told that was the best they could do.
I contacted corporate through live chat and was told to have a second opinion from another dealership. I did go just yesterday and was told that they did the best even though it still looked maybe just a hair better. They also mentioned to take it to a body shop to fix (no word about saying their dime or what, but was not given any referrals regarding a body shop). To add to it all, this morning during my commute, I took a sharper turn and had my gas door open warning on the dash pop up again.

Back to square one lol.

Went to schedule another appointment to fix the warning dash (3 dealer visits in a span of 2 weeks!) and also now in contact with a case manager looking into this. Wish me luck guys!

PS. I saw the quick fix suggestion by Min Pin with adjusting the tab, but it's now the principal of the whole thing! Maybe I'll attempt that after they fix the warning on my dash regarding the door being open.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Went to schedule another appointment to fix the warning dash (3 dealer visits in a span of 2 weeks!) and also now in contact with a case manager looking into this. Wish me luck guys!
To confirm, are you getting the "Fuel Lid Open" alert message each time, or does the message change?

The first (overhead) picture is severe a gap than I've seen so far... but hard to tell from picture if it's a shadow effect or truly wider than others. If the fuel door is opening at hard cornering, it sounds like the latching is very slight/poor. The second (side view) picture looks a little wider than average, but in the range of 'normal' for what I've seen on other Insights.

Would it fit within principle to mention to the dealer that you've heard/read that latch adjustment can address the issue? And if so, maybe the dealer (or you?) can mark the latch to see how much of the latch is actually catching, and try to improve that by re-marking and checking after adjustments?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts