Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't mention it, and because of your post, I checked my EX, and the fuel door is flush front and rear. I probably would have never even thought to look until this thread.
It's one of those situations where its a bit annoying that you can see it, but even worse when people come up to you being a good Samaritan and pointing out that your gas door is open. :plain:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just purchased my EX two months ago but my fuel door is flush with the quarter panel and has a nice even gap all the way around. As was mentioned in an earlier post, it seems as though Honda made corrections to the misaligned fuel door midway through the production year.
Seems to be the case. Guess the dealer I went to only had old stock if they said all of theirs had the same issue.. except the showroom model, of course lol

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Seems to be the case. Guess the dealer I went to only had old stock if they said all of theirs had the same issue.. except the showroom model, of course lol
Curious on your comment of dealer having 'old stock.' What's the manufacture date on your car? You can find it as a "MM/YYYY" date on the sticker in the bottom inner frame of the driver's side door...

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,779 Posts
Curious on your comment of dealer having 'old stock.' What's the manufacture date on your car? You can find it as a "MM/YYYY" date on the sticker in the bottom inner frame of the driver's side door...
Better yet - what are the last six digits of your VIN#?

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
@insightfully - That's a good question. I'll have to check when I go out to the car.

@hasarad - 024258
Interesting... yours is the highest number reported so far, and the last 6 digits represent the "plant sequential vehicle number" or production order of the car. I'm guessing that your production date will be Feb 2019 or later... which is surprising, since other recent purchasers say they no longer have the gap.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,245 Posts
We probably will get a good idea of when they fixed it if others that don't have the gap can report the manufacture date of their Insight.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,245 Posts
Mine is 025974, build date is 01/19. I'll have to check my car for the gap. I've seen the pics in this thread and some of them the gap is huge!!
Honda just released their 2019 digital factbook which shows the number of Insights they made (23,727) in 2018. We had been pretty sure that the last 6 digits of the VIN indicates what numbered Insight we got but just not 100% sure. Your VIN and build date info pretty much matches up with where Honda would had been manufacturing during January 2019. So now we know what the last 6 digits of the VIN means with 100% certainty. Congrats on owning Insight #25,974! :wink:

Honda is producing almost 2x the amount of Insights for each one sold (12,510 sold by 12/18 & 23,727 made by 12/18). They must be close to making 50,000 Insights by now since they sold 25,058 Insights as of June 2019. :surprise:

Just purchased my EX two months ago but my fuel door is flush with the quarter panel and has a nice even gap all the way around. As was mentioned in an earlier post, it seems as though Honda made corrections to the misaligned fuel door midway through the production year.
My build date is 03/19 and last 6 of VIN are 032734. Purchased mine middle of May
Unless someone reports a flush fuel door manufactured before March 2019. It seems like March is when Honda fixed it. :smile:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Honda just released their 2019 digital factbook which shows the number of Insights they made (23,727) in 2018. We had been pretty sure that the last 6 digits of the VIN indicates what numbered Insight we got but just not 100% sure. Your VIN and build date info pretty much matches up with where Honda would had been manufacturing during January 2019. So now we know what the last 6 digits of the VIN means with 100% certainty. Congrats on owning Insight #25,974! :wink:

Honda is producing almost 2x the amount of Insights for each one sold (12,510 sold by 12/18 & 23,727 made by 12/18). They must be close to making 50,000 Insights by now since they sold 25,058 Insights as of June 2019. :surprise:

Unless someone reports a flush fuel door manufactured before March 2019. It seems like March is when Honda fixed it. :smile:
Ours is 22055 and flush fuel door.

·
Registered
367 Posts
03/19 here and also flush door. I always thought it odd that I could push in the back part of the door a bit, as if it has more give then normal but it fits flush so I’m happy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thought I'd add a quick update:

I got referred to the body shop from the dealer and did the initial estimate. I reconfirmed with corporate on the phone that this was sanctioned and it would be covered. At this point, the body shop (also owned by the same corporation as the dealer) is waiting for authorization to begin the bodywork under warranty.

In the meanwhile, I sent my certified letter and relevant work orders from the dealer visits to Honda corporate as an official complaint of my problem. I also sent a copy of all that to my state's AG office for consumer protection. I heard back from the state and they will also be sending a written complaint to the manufacturer. I mainly did this as an assurance that this will get fixed and not swept under the rug under the guise that it's normal since other Insights had it (as I heard from the dealer that sold me the car).

Now to the waiting game.. I'll keep you all updated :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought my 2019 Honda Insight 2 weeks ago with 52 miles on it. I travel a bunch and from day one the fuel lid has popped open if I go over a bump, shut the trunk or the back door! I was finally home this week, with 1442 miles now on the car, and took it in yesterday to the Flow Honda dealership where I bought it. They said they hadn’t heard of this happening. I shut the back door and it popped open. The tech said, ‘yea that shouldn’t happen.’ He then said it will be 2 hours for them to take it back and look at it. What?! So I sat in the waiting room for an hour then they told me it is the actuator and they had to order a part. I have to go back in today for another appointment for them to tear it all down and replace the entire mechanism. I’m thankful they’re fixing it but not happy about Honda not fixing this before they sold it because clearly this is a reported issue. Spending 2 days at the dealership and driving an hour to get there is not how I wanted to spend my ‘home’ time! ��

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI, I reported this issue to Honda corporate so they would have another voicing a concern.

Dear Luann Prater,

Thank you for contacting American Honda Motor Co., Inc. We have received your email and will respond within three business days.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,245 Posts
Bought my 2019 Honda Insight 2 weeks ago with 52 miles on it. I travel a bunch and from day one the fuel lid has popped open if I go over a bump, shut the trunk or the back door! I was finally home this week, with 1442 miles now on the car, and took it in yesterday to the Flow Honda dealership where I bought it. They said they hadn’t heard of this happening. I shut the back door and it popped open. The tech said, ‘yea that shouldn’t happen.’ He then said it will be 2 hours for them to take it back and look at it. What?! So I sat in the waiting room for an hour then they told me it is the actuator and they had to order a part. I have to go back in today for another appointment for them to tear it all down and replace the entire mechanism. I’m thankful they’re fixing it but not happy about Honda not fixing this before they sold it because clearly this is a reported issue. Spending 2 days at the dealership and driving an hour to get there is not how I wanted to spend my ‘home’ time! ��
Seems like you have an Insight anxious for more gas. :smile_big: Hope the fuel door is fix for you on the first repair by the dealership.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Evers
What are you doing to get your fuel door fixed? I'm assuming it sticks out a bit, as does mine. Interested in finding out what you're doing to alleviate that.
Thanks!

41 - 60 of 99 Posts