Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
746 Posts
Can someone describe what changed on the 2020?
Basically they started installing it correctly. I went to the dealer and the body shop guy bent the hinge slightly and now it's perfectly flush.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Can someone describe what changed on the 2020?
Re-reading posts above we estimated that Insights built ~03/2019 and later seemed to have "resolved" this fuel door flushness issue. Hopefully and owner with production date of 03/2019 (still in 2019 model year) or someone with a 2020 model can share the pictures you requested for comparison.

Your ~#19500 production sequence number was produced before @evers (#24258) who reported seeing this fuel door gap plus self-opening issue, and took to Honda dealer to resolve. It seems likely that the assembly inconsistency was still going when your car was produced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can somebody confirm no design change? The only fix that makes sense is the fuel door itself having the flange at a different angle. And fixing it by bending the flange proves it's a design problem.

Update: now my fuel door doesn't latch at all. So off to Honda I go for the second time. This is not good and unexpected and disappointing for a Honda I have to say. The underbody panels don't align well either. Honda is slipping. Next car will not be a Honda.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,779 Posts
Update: now my fuel door doesn't latch at all.
Be thankful you don't live in New Jersey - the home of full-serve only gas. I can't tell you the number of times the attendants have pounded on my fuel filler door thinking it's a Civic! I now stop a little early and pop the door before I pull up to the pump.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,779 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious if anyone with a newer Insight still have this gap on the fuel door. I stopped nagging my dealership to fix it after mentioning it to them 2 times. Was only concerned about water getting in and freezing up the fuel door during the winter. That is no longer an issue for me because I found out the Insight has an emergency manual fuel door switch in the trunk.

@evers , if you don't get the issue resolve with Honda. You have the option to file for arbitration as instructed in the warranty booklet.

I just bought a new 2022 Honda Insight with 10 miles on it and last weekend my fuel door open light popped on. I looked in my side mirror and it looked closed so I stopped anyway and tried to open but is was locked so I just pushed it back in and got in car and the light went off but came back in a few minutes later. Same thing nothing was wrong with it. It went off for a few days but then came back in yesterday again. I’m taking it tomorrow for them to look at it. But as far as the gap I think it’s flush I’ll have to look tomorrow in daylight.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,245 Posts
I just bought a new 2022 Honda Insight with 10 miles on it and last weekend my fuel door open light popped on. I looked in my side mirror and it looked closed so I stopped anyway and tried to open but is was locked so I just pushed it back in and got in car and the light went off but came back in a few minutes later. Same thing nothing was wrong with it. It went off for a few days but then came back in yesterday again. I’m taking it tomorrow for them to look at it. But as far as the gap I think it’s flush I’ll have to look tomorrow in daylight.
^Metal tab indicated in the third pic of @Min Pin's post with the black arrow needs to be slightly bent to lock the gas door tighter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
^Metal tab indicated in the third pic of @Min Pin's post with the black arrow needs to be slightly bent to lock the gas door tighter.
Thanks I’ll try that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Gas lid alignment fix

Mine was the same way, it sticks out a little from the body line.
I bent inside tab and now it is flush with the body. Be carful because it is painted part and damage may cause future rust. See before and after photos.

Which direction did you bend the tab, toward the Fuel Door or toward the back of the Car?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,245 Posts
It's possible Honda thinks this is within a certain tolerance they're willing to accept. Considering they had 4 years to learn and improve on manufacturing the vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Insight was built in May/June 2022. The door reports open about every third day. It looks like the release cable assembly is too loose on the chassis, maybe missing a full washer? It is only attached on 3 sides. Will be showing the dealership sometime, phone conversation didn’t seem to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Insight was built in May/June 2022. The door reports open about every third day. It looks like the release cable assembly is too loose on the chassis, maybe missing a full washer? It is only attached on 3 sides. Will be showing the dealership sometime, phone conversation didn’t seem to work.
I'll have to check mine and see if it looks like what you described, mine now does it nearly every drive, even after opening and re closing

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,245 Posts
I'll have to check mine and see if it looks like what you described, mine now does it nearly every drive, even after opening and re closing
Have the dealership take a look at the metal tab. Most likely they'll have to bend the metal tab like the rest of us that has this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The door release post is too loose. It will lean out ( in the direction of the drawn arrow) and let the door move so it isn’t flush. It needs a support like a washer to keep the post in place.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Asphalt Automotive wheel system

81 - 99 of 99 Posts