Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly does the Fuel Efficiency Backlight setting do? I try turning it on and off and don't notice anything change.

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
The Fuel Efficiency Backlight controls whether you see colors in the "top corners" (called the Ambient Meter) that are marked in the image below (OM pg 16). Turning the backlight setting off keeps these corners colored white. You'll need to drive between turning it on/off to see the difference. But I believe Sport mode colors these 'corners' red, regardless of backlight setting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, thank you. I wasn't driving between turning it on and off. That's why I didn't notice a difference.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
After the first press of Econ button, you're in Normal mode and the corners should be white. There is no leaf over the gear symbol, yet your corners are still lit green...
Honda calls the white, and green lights as Fuel Efficiency Backlight. Green means you're driving the car fuel efficiently instead of being an ECON mode indicator. The only way to tell you're in ECON mode is the green leaf in the middle of the instrument cluster.

The ECO Drive Display also use colors to show if you're accelerating efficiently.

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Honda calls the white, and green lights as Fuel Efficiency Backlight. Green means you're driving the car fuel efficiently instead of being an ECON mode indicator. The only way to tell you're in ECON mode is the green leaf in the middle of the instrument cluster.
Technically, the corner feature that changes colors is called the Ambient Meter. The Fuel Efficiency Backlight is the overall system name and setting for whether the corners are colored or monochromatic. :)

The ECO Drive Display also use colors to show if you're accelerating efficiently.
It's been a while since I've used it, but I don't recall there being color indication on the Eco Drive Display. I recall just the car 'position' as the main indicator of efficient operation (?).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
It's been a while since I've used it, but I don't recall there being color indication on the Eco Drive Display. I recall just the car 'position' as the main indicator of efficient operation (?).
I haven’t used it in awhile either but I remember underneath the car the ground goes red if you accelerate/decelerate too hard vs staying green if you don’t. :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
I tried the eco drive display again today and the ground glows blue not red when accelerating aggressively. The eco drive display can glow blue even when not moving if idling too long like I did while running the AC.

Also my Insight does the same as @7duster3 where the ambient light goes white even in ECO mode when not driving efficiently.

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Also my Insight does the same as @7duster3 where the ambient light goes white even in ECO mode when not driving efficiently.
Sometimes the simplest answer is the best answer... my takeaways from this:
  • The only actual indicator for "mode" is the symbol above the gear position indicator in the DII (leaf = Econ, sport = Sport).
  • The corner lights (ambient meter) aren't a signal of whether Econ mode is on or working.
  • The green corner lights can turn white even in Econ mode when the car isn't being driven efficiently.
That it turns white makes me think of Normal mode, and perhaps a "suggestion" that Econ mode should be turned off and Normal mode used instead.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
That it turns white makes me think of Normal mode, and perhaps a "suggestion" that Econ mode should be turned off and Normal mode used instead.
Sounds reasonable. Honda sure likes to leave a lot of things for us to discover ourselves. 😅

1 - 9 of 9 Posts