Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2019 April EX with 8000 miles. It's been emitting a fuel/exhaust smell for last few months. It's intermittent. tried to track it down and I think it's coming from the intake manifold. The car may be parked for hours but when you walk by you can smell it
Not excessive but noticable when it happens.

My first inclination was the PCV valve... Or some hose attached to it... But could not find anything obviously loose. No obvious spills or leaks I can find.

I opened up the airfilter to see if there is any obvious emanating smell from the intake ducting.

Wasn't obvious. The intake manifold is plastic in this car so I don't know if this is a trait of it. I can definitely smell it around the plastic intake manifold. I don't know what else.

It doesn't seem normal... My previous couple of Honda's don't do this. Other than that the car operates normally with mpg in the 50s.

It's not coming from other cars in my garage if anybody asks....

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
Do you detect the smell while in operation, and after parked for a while as mentioned above?

There was some discussion of possible "break in" engine smells in a prior thread - Engine exhaust smell coming in?

And this thread explored Evap System issues before eventual root cause solution was found. If you're smelling it after the car is off, maybe there's relation to the evaporation leakage check module that runs for 15 minutes, 5-10 hours after engine shutoff? - EVAP system misbehaving? Fumes in the cabin.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only when parked. It's not immediate either.

I recall the evap canister purge were in the rear quarter panels of most Honda but now you mention evap system it... It's possible it could be in the front for the Insight....

The car is due for an oil change so I can inquire when I bring it in, but I have a feeling I will just get a dance around without doing some troubleshooting myself.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I took the car in for oil change and tire rotation at 8800 miles the dealer which is a huge waste of time..... but... I inquired about the smell and they did an inspection and went to see if there were any error codes. Came up NIL with fault codes and nothing observed. Car still has smell... I'll take it to my Honda guy at next oil change for a look through. it doesn't really concern me but it's that, hey I bought a new car and it should not have a smell like that.

I've had previous Hondas... a 5th gen accord that had a chronic starting issue since it was purchased new which they could never resolve.... and a camera issue on a 9th gen Accord since new that could never be resolved under warranty so I just let it both of them go on for years until I got rid of those cars.

to be continued....

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
I don't smell any leaking gas on my Insight but mine is parked outside. Keep us updated. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
Car still has smell... I'll take it to my Honda guy at next oil change for a look through. it doesn't really concern me but it's that, hey I bought a new car and it should not have a smell like that.
In this thread where fuel/evap system was thought to be at fault, the cause turned out to be high-VOC windshield washer fluid. Gas and washer fluid definitely smell different... but are you a high user of washer fluid? And could there maybe be dried washer fluid hanging around the area?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In this thread where fuel/evap system was thought to be at fault, the cause turned out to be high-VOC windshield washer fluid. Gas and washer fluid definitely smell different... but are you a high user of washer fluid? And could there maybe be dried washer fluid hanging around the area?
hahah.. most definitely not. My other car and on my previous accord, I use windshield washer almost daily. lately I've been using green rain-x but my current jug is generic walmart green stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts