Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten this warning at all?

Background... Cold Canadian prairies and we're warming up with the spring melt. My last 6-7 tanks have all been significantly lower with cold temps.

I'm back to hypermiling and am currently 200kms over the range was at the last fill up.

I was as 68km of range when the warning popped up. The yellow gas pump indicator was also flashing. After a few min the warning kicked off. And the range went to 88. After a few more minutes it was back down to 50 and 1 bar. No low fuel warning yet.

Something to be concerned with or just busting the range algorithm?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The warning is already gone. No code.

The range is stuck at 50kms. Just grabbed my daughter from her dance class and drive 11kms and it didn't move

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
In the owner's manual it says to bring it to the dealership if the gas pump indicator blinks/flashes. Your fuel gauge level sensor for some reason got stuck. Tech would need to take the fuel pump out to reset it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gassed up just now. As you can see I've had a significant jump in MPGS compared to my last few (warmer temps, summer tires on, factory oil swapped for Kirkland and K&N air filter in may all be helping as well).

I'm guessing the algorithm is busted by the jump. I still had 7.5 liters of fuel remaining when I refueled.

I'll monitor the warning but it's very interesting.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I was as 68km of range when the warning popped up. The yellow gas pump indicator was also flashing. After a few min the warning kicked off. And the range went to 88. After a few more minutes it was back down to 50 and 1 bar. No low fuel warning yet.
My impression is that a few things happened at once that aren't individually problematic, but converged and were observed at low fuel level.

The "groundhog day"-like instance where range doesn't change during a drive can happen as fuel economy increases. Your steady increases in fuel economy seem like a reason that range may not change, especially after a short-ish (11 km) drive. I've only experienced this 'mid-tank' (versus near-empty) but the fuel gauge level/accuracy error message didn't appear at the time.

I also refuel at 2 bars to avoid issues/alerts so can't speak directly to it on the Insight, but on my older Hondas (including one I still own) the fuel gauge has more variability (on hills, under acceleration) at lower fuel level. Maybe this plus cold weather affected your fuel reading (?).

As andrew28 and WorldThatHeSees mentioned, the countermeasures for fuel gauge level/warning (OM19 pg 90) are to refuel (steady light) or have dealer check (blinking light). Were you impacted at all by the fuel pump recall and/or has your dealer worked on anything in the fuel area recently?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My impression is that a few things happened at once that aren't individually problematic, but converged and were observed at low fuel level.

The "groundhog day"-like instance where range doesn't change during a drive can happen as fuel economy increases. Your steady increases in fuel economy seem like a reason that range may not change, especially after a short-ish (11 km) drive. I've only experienced this 'mid-tank' (versus near-empty) but the fuel gauge level/accuracy error message didn't appear at the time.

I also refuel at 2 bars to avoid issues/alerts so can't speak directly to it on the Insight, but on my older Hondas (including one I still own) the fuel gauge has more variability (on hills, under acceleration) at lower fuel level. Maybe this plus cold weather affected your fuel reading (?).

As andrew28 and WorldThatHeSees mentioned, the countermeasures for fuel gauge level/warning (OM19 pg 90) are to refuel (steady light) or have dealer check (blinking light). Were you impacted at all by the fuel pump recall and/or has your dealer worked on anything in the fuel area recently?
View attachment 6559
My car wasn't affected by the fuel pump recall. Only work I've had some recently is the oil change (last Thursday, first one ever. Supplied Kirkland full synthetic oil with a bosch filter).

I was at 2 bars prior to the warning. After the warning kicked off I was at 1. But at no time did I get the actual low fuel warning.

After I fueled up my range adjusted to 593km

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,612 Posts
I would go with stuck fuel float. Def a dealer concern.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts