Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Had to get my 6600 mile 2019 Insight EX towed this evening. :/

This morning when I cranked the car, I got a “tighten fuel cap” warning. I checked the fuel cap and all was tight, so I searched the web and realized that it appears to be a common issue. Retightened, and eventually it went away.

So on my way home, I had to stop for gas. I fueled to the first click and all of a sudden, gas came pouring out from under my car (not from the fuel filler)! I didn’t want to crank the car because of the fuel spilling everywhere (didn’t want a fireball).

Anyway, called roadside assistance - what a crappy experience. They told me 60 mins and the tow truck would text me when 15 mins away. 1.5 hours go by and still no tow truck (note, I’m blocking a pump at the gas station in fear of cranking my car). I finally called back and they said no one had been dispatched yet because they couldn’t find a flat bed. After 2 hours I called back and they said someone from the nearest AAA certified tow company was dispatched. I asked the name of the company and the could not tell me. 15 more minutes went by and ironically, a flat bed tow truck FROM THE ONLY AAA TOW SERVICE IN TOWN (small town) pulled into the station to get gas. I asked if he was here to get me and he said no and his company had not received a call from Honda. Eventually I ended up having him tow me to the nearest dealership (45 mins away) and cancelling my roadside assistance tow. I’m not sure who they had coming to get me, but it obviously wasn’t the closest AAA certified tow company.

So what’s the issue? Not sure yet. Thinking a loose filler pipe or vent or something on top of the tank. The dealership was closed by the time the car finally got there. I will find out tomorrow, and hopefully, Honda will reimburse me for the tow.

Having to have a 6600 mile car towed, not looking great Honda, but I understand it happens. Having a crappy experience when you DO have a breakdown? REALLY not looking good on Honda. My wife and I have had 13 Hondas between us and this was our first time with Roadside Assistance- not impressed.

:(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
:( Sorry to hear about your poor experience with Roadside Assistance. Interested in hearing what your dealer found with regard to the fuel spillage from underneath your car (e.g. internal valve or level malfunction? bad weld on tank?). Hoping this issue been permanently resolved for you.

(P.S. - Your post has been hung up since 9/5 for moderator approval (new thread by new user); I just found/released it today.)

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
I have (and will always have) AAA. I've never had an issue with response time. I find the cost worth it since (I have a "plus" membership) I can be towed up to 100 miles to anyplace I'd like. It's peace-of-mind for the long commute I have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts