Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Had to get my 6600 mile 2019 Insight EX towed this evening. :/

This morning when I cranked the car, I got a “tighten fuel cap” warning. I checked the fuel cap and all was tight, so I searched the web and realized that it appears to be a common issue. Retightened, and eventually it went away.

So on my way home, I had to stop for gas. I fueled to the first click and all of a sudden, gas came pouring out from under my car (not from the fuel filler)! I didn’t want to crank the car because of the fuel spilling everywhere (didn’t want a fireball).

Anyway, called roadside assistance - what a crappy experience. They told me 60 mins and the tow truck would text me when 15 mins away. 1.5 hours go by and still no tow truck (note, I’m blocking a pump at the gas station in fear of cranking my car). I finally called back and they said no one had been dispatched yet because they couldn’t find a flat bed. After 2 hours I called back and they said someone from the nearest AAA certified tow company was dispatched. I asked the name of the company and the could not tell me. 15 more minutes went by and ironically, a flat bed tow truck FROM THE ONLY AAA TOW SERVICE IN TOWN (small town) pulled into the station to get gas. I asked if he was here to get me and he said no and his company had not received a call from Honda. Eventually I ended up having him tow me to the nearest dealership (45 mins away) and cancelling my roadside assistance tow. I’m not sure who they had coming to get me, but it obviously wasn’t the closest AAA certified tow company.

So what’s the issue? Not sure yet. Thinking a loose filler pipe or vent or something on top of the tank. The dealership was closed by the time the car finally got there. I will find out tomorrow, and hopefully, Honda will reimburse me for the tow.

Having to have a 6600 mile car towed, not looking great Honda, but I understand it happens. Having a crappy experience when you DO have a breakdown? REALLY not looking good on Honda. My wife and I have had 13 Hondas between us and this was our first time with Roadside Assistance- not impressed.

:(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
:( Sorry to hear about your poor experience with Roadside Assistance. Interested in hearing what your dealer found with regard to the fuel spillage from underneath your car (e.g. internal valve or level malfunction? bad weld on tank?). Hoping this issue been permanently resolved for you.

(P.S. - Your post has been hung up since 9/5 for moderator approval (new thread by new user); I just found/released it today.)

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,835 Posts
I have (and will always have) AAA. I've never had an issue with response time. I find the cost worth it since (I have a "plus" membership) I can be towed up to 100 miles to anyplace I'd like. It's peace-of-mind for the long commute I have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all,

Had to get my 6600 mile 2019 Insight EX towed this evening. :/

This morning when I cranked the car, I got a “tighten fuel cap” warning. I checked the fuel cap and all was tight, so I searched the web and realized that it appears to be a common issue. Retightened, and eventually it went away.

So on my way home, I had to stop for gas. I fueled to the first click and all of a sudden, gas came pouring out from under my car (not from the fuel filler)! I didn’t want to crank the car because of the fuel spilling everywhere (didn’t want a fireball).

Anyway, called roadside assistance - what a crappy experience. They told me 60 mins and the tow truck would text me when 15 mins away. 1.5 hours go by and still no tow truck (note, I’m blocking a pump at the gas station in fear of cranking my car). I finally called back and they said no one had been dispatched yet because they couldn’t find a flat bed. After 2 hours I called back and they said someone from the nearest AAA certified tow company was dispatched. I asked the name of the company and the could not tell me. 15 more minutes went by and ironically, a flat bed tow truck FROM THE ONLY AAA TOW SERVICE IN TOWN (small town) pulled into the station to get gas. I asked if he was here to get me and he said no and his company had not received a call from Honda. Eventually I ended up having him tow me to the nearest dealership (45 mins away) and cancelling my roadside assistance tow. I’m not sure who they had coming to get me, but it obviously wasn’t the closest AAA certified tow company.

So what’s the issue? Not sure yet. Thinking a loose filler pipe or vent or something on top of the tank. The dealership was closed by the time the car finally got there. I will find out tomorrow, and hopefully, Honda will reimburse me for the tow.

Having to have a 6600 mile car towed, not looking great Honda, but I understand it happens. Having a crappy experience when you DO have a breakdown? REALLY not looking good on Honda. My wife and I have had 13 Hondas between us and this was our first time with Roadside Assistance- not impressed.

:(
I’m having this exact issue with the fuel cap warning and fuel overflow/leak. Literally sitting at the gas station waiting for the tow truck now (2019 Insight, 14K miles). What did the issue end up being?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m having this exact issue with the fuel cap warning and fuel overflow/leak. Literally sitting at the gas station waiting for the tow truck now (2019 Insight, 14K miles). What did the issue end up being?
Both of these incidents sound related to a problem I recently had after the fuel pump recall repair.They failed to get the lock ring properly seated and fuel would leak out the top of the unit. After the recall repair and filling the tank I had a very strong gas odor in my garage.When returned to the dealer they admitted that the lock ring was not seated on two of the tangs. It appears to be fixed now, but I'll wait until a couple more fuel ups before passing final judgement.
I wonder if they damaged your gas tank when doing the recall as this pic from the service bulletin states is possible.

Font Circle Cameras & optics Rectangle Camera accessory

·
Registered
7 Posts
Both of these incidents sound related to a problem I recently had after the fuel pump recall repair.They failed to get the lock ring properly seated and fuel would leak out the top of the unit. After the recall repair and filling the tank I had a very strong gas odor in my garage.When returned to the dealer they admitted that the lock ring was not seated on two of the tangs. It appears to be fixed now, but I'll wait until a couple more fuel ups before passing final judgement.
I wonder if they damaged your gas tank when doing the recall as this pic from the service bulletin states is possible.

View attachment 7129
Yes my first thought was that maybe it’s somehow related to the fuel pump recall, but I had the fuel pump recall done over a year ago, so it seems unlikely to me that the issue would only show up now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes my first thought was that maybe it’s somehow related to the fuel pump recall, but I had the fuel pump recall done over a year ago, so it seems unlikely to me that the issue would only show up now.
You are probably right. There is a chance that they stress fatigued the metal and it eventually failed. Hard to say though. I'll be interested to hear what the dealer says happened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got back from the dealer. They said there was a pinched o-ring on the fuel pump which cause the leak and said it could be a result of the fuel pump recall repair. I'm not quite buying that since the repair was done around 18 months ago, but I guess it's possible. I stopped for gas immediately after leaving the dealer to top off the tank and everything seemed to go ok. Yesterday when I had the overflow, the gas pump never stopped. I wasn't paying attention and pumped 13 gallons, more than the total tank capacity. The excess just flowed out from the bottom of the car. When I topped off today, the pump turned off as expected and I didn't seen any leakage under the car.

The one thing I can't explain is there seems to be an issue with either the fuel gauge or range calculation. Yesterday when I went to fill up (before the overflow incident), my fuel gauge was at zero and Range remaining was at 0, but my trip odometer (which I reset at my last refill) showed only 320 miles when it should have been more like 420-450 miles (I was getting 45 mpg average on that tank). Yesterday, I chalked it up to fuel spilling from tank as I was driving, but now I'm thinking it's maybe not measuring the fuel level correctly.. But since picking up my car from the dealer, the numbers still aren't adding up. I filled up right after picking up the car and reset the trip odometer and have driven 22 miles since, getting 65 mpg average. The range remaining is showing 390 miles (implying ~410 miles for the full tank), but it should be higher than that, especially given the 65 mpg I'm getting. Also, when I refilled today, the fuel gauge didn't show full until after I'd been driving for a few miles...I've never had that happen before. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on things and see how it goes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just got back from the dealer. They said there was a pinched o-ring on the fuel pump which cause the leak and said it could be a result of the fuel pump recall repair. I'm not quite buying that since the repair was done around 18 months ago, but I guess it's possible. I stopped for gas immediately after leaving the dealer to top off the tank and everything seemed to go ok. Yesterday when I had the overflow, the gas pump never stopped. I wasn't paying attention and pumped 13 gallons, more than the total tank capacity. The excess just flowed out from the bottom of the car. When I topped off today, the pump turned off as expected and I didn't seen any leakage under the car.

The one thing I can't explain is there seems to be an issue with either the fuel gauge or range calculation. Yesterday when I went to fill up (before the overflow incident), my fuel gauge was at zero and Range remaining was at 0, but my trip odometer (which I reset at my last refill) showed only 320 miles when it should have been more like 420-450 miles (I was getting 45 mpg average on that tank). Yesterday, I chalked it up to fuel spilling from tank as I was driving, but now I'm thinking it's maybe not measuring the fuel level correctly.. But since picking up my car from the dealer, the numbers still aren't adding up. I filled up right after picking up the car and reset the trip odometer and have driven 22 miles since, getting 65 mpg average. The range remaining is showing 390 miles (implying ~410 miles for the full tank), but it should be higher than that, especially given the 65 mpg I'm getting. Also, when I refilled today, the fuel gauge didn't show full until after I'd been driving for a few miles...I've never had that happen before. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on things and see how it goes.
While you still could have something going on, I’ve found that the range remaining is initially based off the last tank’s average mileage, not your current tank, and than adjusts itself as it sees your fuel usage. The number will either stay there longer or drop faster if your mileage varies from that last tank. For instance, I recently filled up after getting 60mpg and it gave me a starting range of 565 miles. I’m currently only getting 55, so the range is dropping faster than normal. When I fill up this time, I expect it will only give me a starting range of 503 miles or so based on past 55mpg average tanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.