Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got mine inspected and then fixed last week. 3 hour job to get it fixed, 1 hour to get into the car's fuel pump. The failure is due to a material used by the supplier, which can fail and absorb fuel, causing the fuel pump to fail. Not Honda's fault, supplier probably didnt correctly tread the mechanism.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Got mine inspected and then fixed last week. 3 hour job to get it fixed, 1 hour to get into the car's fuel pump. The failure is due to a material used by the supplier, which can fail and absorb fuel, causing the fuel pump to fail. Not Honda's fault, supplier probably didnt correctly tread the mechanism.
Thanks for the update - you're the first among us to complete.

1.4 million Hondas are affected globally across multiple models (and millions more cars by other manufacturers - Ford, Honda, Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, and Mitsubishi - using the same Denso fuel pump supplier), so I'm sure we'll start hearing more from those repairs. But I have many questions for you, to start... :)
  • Did Honda notify you already, or did your dealer proactively notify you of the recall?
  • Did you notice any engine (revving/stalling) or electrical issues before the recall repair?
  • Did fuel tank need to be run down or drained before bringing to dealer?
  • Do you notice any engine performance or mpg difference after the repair was made?
  • Were your infotainment and DII settings preserved, or did you need to reset and/or re-select?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the update - you're the first among us to complete.

1.4 million Hondas are affected globally across multiple models (and millions more cars by other manufacturers - Ford, Honda, Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, and Mitsubishi - using the same Denso fuel pump supplier), so I'm sure we'll start hearing more from those repairs. But I have many questions for you, to start... :)
Some Answers for you. Also, i scheduled my service. They said they had multiple people attempt to have it fixed without scheduling, but scheduling is key due to the parts (especially for the insight). But as i mention later, it is not a complex service to complete. The tech had no issue completing it/
  • Did Honda notify you already, or did your dealer proactively notify you of the recall?
    • I got an email as well as a hondalink notification about the recall.
  • Did you notice any engine (revving/stalling) or electrical issues before the recall repair?
    • No issues noticed, but as mentioned it was replaced so they must have noticed some swelling.
  • Did fuel tank need to be run down or drained before bringing to dealer?
    • Nope! I got it back with the same amount of gas in the tank. Car didn't even smell of fuel, as the repair took place underneath the rear seats.
  • Do you notice any engine performance or mpg difference after the repair was made?
    • Slightly higher MPG (1-2) but its only been a few days so i cant comment specifically.
  • Were your infotainment and DII settings preserved, or did you need to reset and/or re-select?
    • No info was changed. I believe it was just a parts swap. It takes time to get to the fuel pump, but after that they said it was a breeze

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did my Fuel Pump Recall on Friday, 06/19/2020. After driving for few miles, I noticed low acceleration. Soon the Engine Light Turned On.
The dealership which I towed my vehicle to said, “ the mechanic who did the recall service, didn’t do it properly; the new fuel pump on my vehicle is not pumping enough gas to engine”.

I did some research and found that low fuel pressure will make engine work harder as it is not receiving enough fuel. It means that engine was suffering for about 120 miles from low fuel pressure. This definitely damaged the engine.
I want your suggestions. Do you know a Honda Licensed Mechanic to give me his opinion?
I want to make sure if I need my engine replaced.

Thanks for your kind comments.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
It is doubtful any damage occurred. Honda will check everything out when the finally get around to doing the recall correctly. The ECU takes into account fuel delivery and would adjust accordingly. This is why power was reduced and you went into a pseudo "limp mode." Please keep us posted as to developments! I'm holding off on this recall until Honda gets a little more experience with it. I'm sorry you had to be a "guinea pig" for this one.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
I think its hard to tell what (if any) damage occurred, but you have at least noted this in your Honda service record and can refer to it if a potentially 'engine related' issue occurs in future. Be sure to keep copy and that dealer documents the reason(s) correctly.

If you learn of any "validation" steps that the dealer (or owners) should take to confirm that their fuel pump replacement goes well, please also let us know. I'd expect your service center will make extra steps or recommendations to ensure this second replacement goes right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I brought my 2019 insight (12800 miles) in for my second oil change to the dealer. Well without even telling me first they changed out the fuel pump due to a recall. When I got the car back the idle was rough and my mph went waaay down to the less than 20mpg range. Then the check engine light came on. I brought the car back to the dealer. They ran some tests and said it was fine now. They claimed maybe some air was in the fuel line and that it would clear up in a few engine cycles. Well the problems never went away and the next day the light came back on. Well its back at the dealership today getting checked out again.

So, has anyone else had any of these problems?

How should I move forward if they give me back a not working correctly car? I understand if they do this again I'm getting into lemon law territory. Has anyone ever been through a buyback situation?

This is my first new car and I'm super pissed that I'm dealing with this kind of thing. I am in NY during covid so haven't let off to the workers how pissed I am though because I know everything sucks now. I wouldn't have let them mess with the fuel pump if they had asked. Also this dealer doesn't have loaners so I'm screwed while its in the shop. I have the lifetime power train warranty so I could go to a different dealership if need be. I wanted to give them as many chances as I could to get it squared away though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im currently dealing with the same issues! Did they get it squared away?
I don't know what to do. It was also my first new vehicle. They didn't do their job as they should do; they didn't connect fuel injectors. I drove for about 80 miles with very low fuel pressure. The engine was working very hard to compensate this low pressure of fuel. It's obvious that the engine was damage, but I can't tell the extent.
The Service Manager apologized, and said that every thing is fine. If something happened to engine, it would have warranty. The issue is that the warranty is only for 60k miles. I definitely expect my Insight to run for me at least up to 200k.
Should we together contact www.automobile.honda.com? What's your suggestion?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just gotten back my insight and everything is running like it was before now. The cabin does smell like fuel though. They changed the O rings for the whole fuel pump assembly. My guess is they reinstalled it incorrectly and the pump was unable to maintain its seal. The fuel tank is pressurized on the insight so that would explain the fuel mix too lean warning.

I had already contacted honda this morning in regards to how I think they've rolled out this recall very poorly and I think you should absolutely do the same to start a paper trail now. If it turns out your engine is indeed damaged from this work then tracing it is important because you'll need to prove the issue started before your warranty runs out. I've got the lifetime power train warranty so luckily all of this stuff would be covered anyways.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
I hope dealers are sharing info among themselves and/or back to Honda on how to perform the repair. 1.4 million Hondas are affected worldwide ('only' 15k Insights) and they need to be getting this right the first time.

I read a recent article that mentioned the 'official' start date for fuel pump recall repairs is 7/22/20 - probably accounting for time Honda needs to notify owners. But also indirectly meaning that there's little experience among Honda Techs doing it before then.

Did the dealer document everything on the work order / invoice you received copy of?

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
@Pb42 and @Bezhan
1-888-234-2138 is the number for Honda recalls. After you go through all the prompts it will give you the option to dial 4 to reach a customer service agent responsible for recall campaigns.

1-888-327-4236 is the safety hotline for the NHTSA which is responsible for enforcement on recalls. They might want to hear from owners about recalls not being done properly.

The first wave of letters will be sent out on July 22 according to Honda.

I'm undecided on whether to do it early or later right now. If I see covid-19 spiking again in Massachusetts I will probably do it early to get it over with. If not I will wait until the Fall when I'm due for my next oil change.

Reactions: Bezhan

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Sitting in the Honda dealership going on 3 hours for the recall repair.
~3 hours wait is what most people have reported, but the actual warranty document only lists 1.1 hours of billable work. - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V314-7514.pdf

If it actually takes twice as long to do as Honda estimated, dealers might start deprioritizing scheduling of these jobs... OR (hopefully) get better and more efficient at learning as they go, to keep it a short job.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My service dealership called me today and said he's ordered the part. I have to call him back to see when it will be in and I can get it installed. . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had this repair completed today. It took about five hour Between dropping the car off and the repair being completed, although I’m not sure how much actual time was spent working on my car. There was definitely a fuel smell in the vehicle afterwards, and the fuel level is run down a bit. I’m hoping that’s just because They need to remove some fuel or something. Looking at the repair instructions that were posted earlier, there’s a warning to be very careful with the fuel level meter arm. So I’m just concerned maybe that was damaged and actually the reading on my dash is not accurate. I guess we’ll find out when I fill it up.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
There was definitely a fuel smell in the vehicle afterwards, and the fuel level is run down a bit. I’m hoping that’s just because They need to remove some fuel or something. Looking at the repair instructions that were posted earlier, there’s a warning to be very careful with the fuel level meter arm. So I’m just concerned maybe that was damaged and actually the reading on my dash is not accurate. I guess we’ll find out when I fill it up.
Welcome to the forum... and sorry your first post isn't under better circumstances.

What level was your gas tank before and after drop off? Each bar is ~1 gallon so hopefully you were on the low-end of prior bar, rather than a full gallon being drained (?).

Any small amount of gas that got on upholstery will linger for a long time... as we've all experienced if even trace amounts get on clothes or skin while refueling. Do you smell it in both the cabin and the trunk, or moreso in the trunk? The fuel tank access point is behind the seats, so something else happened during the repair if you're smelling it in cabin with the seats back in place. If the smell is strong, pinpointing this may help if you choose to reloop with dealer to request specific location(s) for upholstery detailing.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Since the repair is done from INSIDE the car, the smell is not unexpected. One drop of fuel from the old pump falling anywhere in the car will wreak for a few days.

I'm not about to undertake the recall anytime soon, but when I do, will give the dealer a heads' up when dropping the car off, of hearing of complaints of the fuel smell. I will also will ensure this is noted on the work order.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I originally try to schedule my fuel pump replacement earlier this week (local dealer was scheduling appointments online two weeks out and had originally wanted it done before July 4th road trip). Got to the dealership and they first asked if I had a full tank of gas. (After a road trip, did refuel after empty and didn't connect one to the other).

The service advisor explained full tank requires about 2 hours to hand pump the gas out and pump it back in. I rescheduled for month down the line and will reschedule if I run out my tank sooner. Doing this repair while I wait rather than getting shuttled home with COVID risk to driver or myself, so keep the repair to minimum 2 hours with empty tank is best. Hoping the lounge is sparsely occupied...live close enough to the dealer that shuttling within 2 hours is waste of time, but too far to walk.

Both service advisors at the desk at the time were a little astonished (could be they were just affirming my car choice) about the range when we discussed how long it'd take for me to run out a tank when I started guessing 4-5 weeks to knock out 400 miles (typical with highway) to 500 miles (local city).

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
The service advisor explained full tank requires about 2 hours to hand pump the gas out and pump it back in. I rescheduled for month down the line and will reschedule if I run out my tank sooner. Doing this repair while I wait rather than getting shuttled home with COVID risk to driver or myself, so keep the repair to minimum 2 hours with empty tank is best. Hoping the lounge is sparsely occupied...live close enough to the dealer that shuttling within 2 hours is waste of time, but too far to walk.
So... this kind of speaks to the inconsistency and inexperience of Honda service with this recall repair... and why I won't be getting mine done until dealers have more experience with at least the Civic Hatchback and HR-V.

Prior posters in this thread mentioned that gas level was unchanged and did not need to be bled down for the recall repair. Honda's instructions for the recall repair make no mention of removing gas or a target gas level, and you can bet they would've communicated it to dealers it if it was a safety or required action!

Overall, it makes sense to keep fuel level low to facilitate the repair, but from the otherwise successfull examples in this forum, it seems like an extra/unnecessary step requested by your dealer. The overall job should only take 1.1 hours per Honda, so the extra time spent by dealers to pump out fuel is wasted time on their part.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts