Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the info. I would like to ask you to answer a few questions and apologize for my curiosity. ))).

1. What gas stations (brand) did you usually refuel and what type of fuel?
2. Have you filled up to a full tank? Refilled when the column stopped?
3. Did you drive with an almost empty tank? (how many divisions of fuel were on the scale when you usually stopped in for refueling?).

I ask to understand how the gasoline or the level of the tank affects the occurrence of situations with the pump.
THANKS!
99% of the time Costco, If I can't make it to a costco then honestly I'd go to any gas station near by but it's probably mostly 76 outside of Costco
I always fill up the car, I just let the pump click off I never pull the pump to keep pumping or to "top it off" its always full bars after a fill
and No,the car was 3/4 of the way full still when this happened, I usually refill when im at ~2 or 3 bars left

·
Registered
15 Posts
Honda said my fuel pump would be in today however I received no updates, i called them and they said its being worked on still, hopefully it will be done by tomorrow or at least friday and i will keep you guys updated, and @insightfully I have not had a chance to visit the dealer or get the mm/yy from them but will update you with it when I get the vehicle back

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got some bad news from Honda, The service manager called me and said while they ordered the fuel pump the other day it came back as Backordered, apparently the fuel pump and its parts are on a nationwide back order and they have 4 cars including mine that need it and the other dealership down the road also has another 6 car that needs it, they have no timeline on when the part will be available which is a bit ridiculous. So what should have been only a 3 day stay at the dealership will now be whoknows how long.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
I just got some bad news from Honda, The service manager called me and said while they ordered the fuel pump the other day it came back as Backordered, apparently the fuel pump and its parts are on a nationwide back order and they have 4 cars including mine that need it and the other dealership down the road also has another 6 car that needs it, they have no timeline on when the part will be available which is a bit ridiculous. So what should have been only a 3 day stay at the dealership will now be whoknows how long.
Do they at least provide a rental for you during the recall repair period?

It still all sounds too 'coincidental' that so many cars in your area need fuel pumps at once. It seems like they'd be failures (like yours) rather than proactive fuel pump replacement, which would have the part ordered to deliver by/before scheduled appointment date. Still raises my eyebrow on potential temperature connection...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
1-888-327-4236
I would give the NHTSA hotline a call if you have the time to report your experience considering your car wasn't even part of the recall. They're responsible for vehicle safety and enforcement of recalls.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sad and unfortunate situation! From my years of experience in the repair industry, a national or nationwide back order means no fuel pumps to be found in any Honda warehouse or dealer and the actual manufacturer of the pump needs to get on the ball and make more.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Sad and unfortunate situation! From my years of experience in the repair industry, a national or nationwide back order means no fuel pumps to be found in any Honda warehouse or dealer and the actual manufacturer of the pump needs to get on the ball and make more.
Denso is 2 for 2 on Insight recalls. The first one was the SRS and now the fuel pump. I hope Honda reconsiders them in the future as a supplier. Fun Fact: Denso is owned by Toyota.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had my fuel pump replaced on 7/14/20 (And it was after I dropped it off that I was told that I shouldn't have dropped it off with a full tank). Two days later I received a dashboard indication telling me to go back to the dealer. (Photo attached). The car has been there since the 17th of July (over three weeks now) as I'm told they are waiting for a part. The dealer did provide me with a loaner car (A Civic Sport) that I have enjoyed driving. (I'm noticing that I drive quite a bit faster with the Civic... because I can!). I'll follow up when I learn more.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Had my fuel pump replaced on 7/14/20 (And it was after I dropped it off that I was told that I shouldn't have dropped it off with a full tank). Two days later I received a dashboard indication telling me to go back to the dealer. (Photo attached). The car has been there since the 17th of July (over three weeks now) as I'm told they are waiting for a part. The dealer did provide me with a loaner car (A Civic Sport) that I have enjoyed driving. (I'm noticing that I drive quite a bit faster with the Civic... because I can!). I'll follow up when I learn more.
Ha, I drive the same with rentals in general... it's fun to drive wide open without considering MPG or longevity/reliability. But leaving your car at dealer for almost a month seems very long. I haven't scheduled the recall yet, but generally my dealer won't allow me to drop off my car unless part is on hand or <24 hours away.

Also checked and there's not much info in the Owners Manual on the DII alert you saw; I guess it's supposed to be self explanatory re: level indicator (?). There's a "fuel sensor software" NHTSA recall on 2019 Civics; it's different PCM software from the Insight, but wonder if it's similar/related to your Insight situation (versus part-related). In a Civic forum, there's mention that the error message appears on certain 2019 Civics when gas level falls below a certain level.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Had my fuel pump replaced on 7/14/20 (And it was after I dropped it off that I was told that I shouldn't have dropped it off with a full tank). Two days later I received a dashboard indication telling me to go back to the dealer.
When installing the fuel level sensor, make sure the connection is secure and the connector is firmly locked into place. Be careful not to bend or twist it excessively.
Seems like they screwed up when removing the fuel level sensor or when reinstalling it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got it back same day, so far so good. Nothing has fallen off and the car hasn't sputtered and died... yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I picked up my Insight from the dealer yesterday (about a month in the shop) and was told that it turned out to be just a software update that was needed to fix the fuel gauge issue. No part replacement after all. Just drove it for a couple of hours - problem free and I'm back to obeying the speed limit! :)

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
I picked up my Insight from the dealer yesterday (about a month in the shop) and was told that it turned out to be just a software update that was needed to fix the fuel gauge issue. No part replacement after all. Just drove it for a couple of hours - problem free and I'm back to obeying the speed limit! :)
Interesting... maybe related to Civic issue mentioned above. But seems odd that it took dealer so long to figure out part wasn't needed. Did they offer any explanation?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife brought the Insight for the fuel pump recall and all went smoothly. She ran tank down to under a gallon and the service guy said they really appreciated that. She said it smelled very faintly of gas when she picked it up, but by the time she drove home it didn’t smell at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting... maybe related to Civic issue mentioned above. But seems odd that it took dealer so long to figure out part wasn't needed. Did they offer any explanation?
No explanation was offered. To be honest, I didn't push for any explanation as I was just happy to get my car back. BTW, After driving the Civic Sport for a month... I prefer the Insight. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
My wife brought the Insight for the fuel pump recall and all went smoothly. She ran tank down to under a gallon and the service guy said they really appreciated that. She said it smelled very faintly of gas when she picked it up, but by the time she drove home it didn’t smell at all.
The other automakers doing the same fuel pump recall are recommending it's best when a customer brings in the vehicle with less than half a tank of gas. Saves them time from having to drain out some of the fuel and risk of spilling. I'm slowly using up my gas and plan on getting the recall done in September.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Took my Insight in for the fuel pump recall yesterday. Had called to make the appointment on Monday. They said they'd have to order the part first. They called on Wednesday to say the part had arrived and made the appointment for Thursday morning. I combined this service with a B1 (oil change and rotate) and a state inspection. Dropped the car at 9:30, it was finished and ready at noon. Left the car with less than 50 miles range so there was not much gas in tank. When returned there was no gas smell at all. Total cost to me for the three things, $38.21 (we have lifetime free oil changes at this dealer). Easy-Peasy and no hassle at all. But then this is an excellent dealer we have.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Has anybody had the experience of lower MPG after the fuel pump replacement? Mine is now in the low 50's. . .

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Has anybody had the experience of lower MPG after the fuel pump replacement? Mine is now in the low 50's. . .
What mpg were you averaging before the replacement and/or what was the fuel economy difference before/after? How full was the tank when the fuel pump impeller was replaced? I'm planning to combine dealer oil change with impeller replacement, so will be hard to decouple effect of one from the other.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts