Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Insightfully
I was getting around 59 mpg prior to the fuel pump replaced. There was about 3/4 of a tank of gas when the repair was made. My current numbers, though very consistent, are 53 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
My Insight is going in for the recall on the 18th along with an oil change(20% oil life).

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
My Insight is going in for the recall on the 18th along with an oil change(20% oil life).
Dealer needed 2 weeks to order the impeller, so I haven't officially scheduled as of yet. I'm waiting on the part to arrive to schedule recall repair and B service concurrently.

I asked a few questions in advance:
  • Any prep needed on my part? --> don't refill gas if at half tank or below
  • How many of these have you done? --> this particular service advisor said ~20 so far mostly in 2014-2016 models (meaning from last fuel pump recall, not this one)
  • How long will the repair take? --> we'll schedule as whole-day service
  • What hygiene steps are taken during this 'covid' time? --> seat, controls, pedals, steering wheel wiped down with disinfecting wipe
Not feeling excited about being a relative guinea pig on this... Based on reviewing the repair instructions, I plan to do more prep than they suggested, including emptying my trunk, covering my seats and gear selector, and printing out the instructions for them (just in case). :) More questions I'll ask when scheduling:
  • With the battery disconnected, will 'OBD memory saver' be used to preseve my settings?
  • What checks/quality control will be done to ensure o-rings are properly seated to avoid "low power" issue?
  • What steps will be taken to prevent fuel residue/odor after repair?

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
I scheduled my appointment late August and 9/18 was the earliest available. Dropping it off 7 in the morning and letting them have the car for the whole day if needed so they don't rush.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,285 Posts
I scheduled my appointment late August and 9/18 was the earliest available. Dropping it off 7 in the morning and letting them have the car for the whole day if needed so they don't rush.
Are you sending it with a low fuel level? I'm curious to know if you're getting it back with the same fuel gauge level you dropped it off with. I'm holding back until my local dealer gets more experience.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Are you sending it with a low fuel level? I'm curious to know if you're getting it back with the same fuel gauge level you dropped it off with. I'm holding back until my local dealer gets more experience.
Yeah, I'm currently half way to empty. I will take a picture of the fuel level at drop off to compare when I pick it up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Happy to report good experience with the recall. I originally scheduled for early July, decided to wait for dealer to get more experience, did it in mid August. Took about 1 hour. Went in with about 1 gallon of gas. No gas smell after, no impact of gas mileage, good experience overall.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Today was suppose to be the day for my recall to be done. Found out they didn't pre-order the fuel pump part and the tech that does the recall is out today. :( Part is suppose to come in tomorrow and my new appointment is Monday.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
My Insight went in for the "surgery" and came out with no problems so far... No gas smell and it drove fine during the 5 minute trip from the dealership back home. Planning on doing a longer drive later to check for fuel economy and get gas.
  • Dropped off the car at 10:30am with 3 bars on the fuel gauge.
  • [Dashcam] The tech started working on it around 11:55am.
  • [Dashcam] Tech started pulling the car out of the work bay to the car wash bay at 12:33am.
  • I went and picked the car up around 3pm. Same 3 bars of fuel left on the fuel gauge.
The tech working on my Insight must've been very familiar with the repair process. He got it done within 30 minutes according to my dashcam footage. 😁

One other thing that I'm trying to figure out is this additional plastic piece they added(I don't think it was there before...) near the 12v battery exterior cover.

Update: Did a 11 mile drive on the highway and got 52mpg(cruising at 70mph with brief moments up to 85mph to test out the new fuel pump motor). The fuel pump motor replacement doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on my mpg but I'll continue to monitor it. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Andrew28
I want to know if your mpg's go down after the fuel pump replacement. Mine have dropped from about 60 down to 53-54. . . .

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Andrew28
I want to know if your mpg's go down after the fuel pump replacement. Mine have dropped from about 60 down to 53-54. . . .
I will report back here once I have more trips done.

Can someone check their Insight to see if they have that plastic piece under the glovebox area? I don't want to make a fool of myself by asking the dealership if that piece was originally there all along. :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,285 Posts
@andrew28 - I have the plastic piece in mine. I have not had the recall done yet. You're good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I called a local dealership and they said I have to leave my (only) car there two days minimum. That seems... excessive. I'm willing to wait however long it takes to get an appointment that will only take a couple of hours like expected. Am I being unreasonable?

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
I called a local dealership and they said I have to leave my (only) car there two days minimum. That seems... excessive. I'm willing to wait however long it takes to get an appointment that will only take a couple of hours like expected. Am I being unreasonable?
Don't think you're being unreasonable; the total job should be ~3 hours (including buffer / cushio). I'd guess the dealer isn't being fully transparent either about parts or about staffing.

Re: PARTS - they may not have the part on site and need to order it. As a recall part, they can only order the part for an associated VIN. I'd challenge the dealer to order the part and ensure it's on site before you schedule your appointment. My dealer ordered the part, but to be doubly sure, I'm calling them at least 2 days before appointment to re-confirm its on site... because I won't be returning a second time.

Re: STAFFING - maybe they're short on people and not sure when they can fit you in. Once the part arrives, see if they can schedule a more narrow appointment window. My dealer happens to be really slow right now, so I've been able to schedule/reschedule pretty easily. Even so, they've told me to expect a 6-8 hour wait (for a 3 hour recall repair plus B service)... but they usually over-estimate and I'm out sooner than they say.

The latest version of the recall repair instructions are posted HERE. The dealer only gets 1.1 hours of payment/time, which indicates that's how long Honda thinks the repair should take.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Sounds excessive when my dealership did it in 2 hours from drop off. Most of that time was waiting for the tech to start working on it. The repair took only 30 minutes according to my dashcam.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Andrew. . . my bad. . . I've been driving in sport mode for a while as it seems to keep the battery charged better. I turned on econ today and woop! up to 63 mpg again.
And my battery kept the charge pretty well. It's hilly in Co so I've got to watch that battery like a hawk!

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Andrew. . . my bad. . . I've been driving in sport mode for a while as it seems to keep the battery charged better. I turned on econ today and woop! up to 63 mpg again.
And my battery kept the charge pretty well. It's hilly in Co so I've got to watch that battery like a hawk!
53-54mpg with sport mode is pretty nice though. ;) My mpg has been the same as before the recall so far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I have a 2019 Honda Hybrid Insight and recently had my car service. The service advisor told me there were no recalls on my car. I also did recall lookup through MotorSafety.org using my vin and the record also indicated No Recalls on vehicle

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Well, I have a 2019 Honda Hybrid Insight and recently had my car service. The service advisor told me there were no recalls on my car. I also did recall lookup through MotorSafety.org using my vin and the record also indicated No Recalls on vehicle
The statistics are (a little bit) like gambling odds, in that 'only' 56-63% of 2019-2020 Insights were affected by the recall. But in reality, most of the the affected 2019 cars were built between 5/23/18 and 3/8/19, so only cars produced in this time frame were affected.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Had fuel pump recall completed today, along with B1 service. When booking the appointment, I was told to expect a 6-8 hour wait, and upon arrival the Service Advisor said rental car was available due to the recall, but I opted to wait. In the end, my total wait time was 3.5 hours.

Ahead of the appointment, I was told to ensure the gas tank was at/below half. But I definitely over-prepared for this recall - including running down tank to "low 4" (high 3) bars of fuel level, calling 2 days ahead to confirm the recall part and specialized 'fuel sender wrench' were on-site, quoting to the Service Advisor the highlighted "new update" sections of the repair instructions, wrapping in plastic all surfaces within driver reach, emptying all contents from the trunk, folding down the rear seats and semi-unwrapping part of the rear seat covers for bolt access, and cleaning surfaces both before and after service.

I was actually an hour late to my appointment because this overkill pre-prep took longer than I expected (oops). Note: 1030a on a Saturday seems to be the time to avoid at dealer service; apparently everyone runs late on Saturdays including yours truly, and the check-in line was 20 people deep with waiting cars overflowing into street traffic. Fortunately I was toward the first 5 of the 20 in line...

Regarding hygiene precautions, the service porter dealer wrapped the steering wheel in plastic, used a plastic seat cover that hung from the driver's headrest, used a standard paper floor cover, and wiped down the exterior door handle with Lysol wipe. I was told their protocol was to also wipe down the gear selector before returning the car to owner.

My 'favorite' Honda Master Tech (Brian) who has worked on my other Hondas completed the recall repair on my Insight today. Based on mileage, the car was test driven ~3 miles after service was completed. There was only very minor (fume) gasoline smell afterward, and it dissipated very quickly. There's a little schmutz on the rear seat covers (since all the cushions needed to be removed), but nothing major. Fuel economy seems unchanged, though I've only driven <10 miles home from dealer so far. Overall, not a horrible experience...

61 - 80 of 92 Posts