Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m starting to think we’re going to be owners of a rare car soon. I don’t understand why though. Oh well. Hopefully when they age it won’t be hard to get parts for.

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
Still haven't seen a single other one on the road though, kinda weird after driving a cavalier and an outback which were always everywhere. Hope it won't be problem finding mechanics and parts.
I have same long-term concern on accessibility to parts and maintenance options. I'm in this for the long haul, so I hope Honda has a long term growth strategy for the Insight along with us. :plain:

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I have same long-term concern on accessibility to parts and maintenance options. I'm in this for the long haul, so I hope Honda has a long term growth strategy for the Insight along with us. :plain:
I remember reading somewhere that in the US any vehicle sold must have guaranteed parts for 10 years. Honda specifically I think is 15 years or right before they cease making parts they make a big batch of them.

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that in the US any vehicle sold must have guaranteed parts for 10 years. Honda specifically I think is 15 years or right before they cease making parts they make a big batch of them.
Yes, you mentioned it here :) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/18872-post4.html

I'd guess that only a certain % of parts are made relative to the total number of cars sold for the model. And even if available, there's no guarantee of 'affordability'/cost. The long-term cost of hybrid repairs/maintenance are one deterrent quoted by 'online mechanics.' :(

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Yes, you mentioned it here :) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/18872-post4.html

I'd guess that only a certain % of parts are made relative to the total number of cars sold for the model. And even if available, there's no guarantee of 'affordability'/cost. The long-term cost of hybrid repairs/maintenance are one deterrent quoted by 'online mechanics.' :(
They sort of have to keep making parts for 15 years until the last 3rd gen Insight is sold due to the California emissions warranty some of us get. I plan to go full EV within 10 years so I won't be driving my Insight until it falls apart.

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
They sort of have to keep making parts for 15 years until the last 3rd gen Insight is sold due to the California emissions warranty some of us get. I plan to go full EV within 10 years so I won't be driving my Insight until it falls apart.
Yeah, that's the difference in lack of concern, I think. I've driven my Hondas for 20+ years each until irreparable failure or damage, and my plan is to do so with the Insight. Parts for Accords and Civics of the past aren't an issue because so many of them are still on the road. If my Gen3 Insight is the only one left on the road 20+ years from now, I expect part availability and cost to be ridiculous. It's that factor that may lead me to drop the Insight sooner than later, if I see this play out.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
I feel bad for the Gen 1 owners who have turned to cannibalism to keep their Insights on the road. Every wrecked Gen 1 has a swarm of bottom-feeders waiting to scavenge parts!

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
I feel bad for the Gen 1 owners who have turned to cannibalism to keep their Insights on the road. Every wrecked Gen 1 has a swarm of bottom-feeders waiting to scavenge parts!
OMG, exactly what I want to avoid! The good news (?) is that the Gen3 has sold more units to-date than the Gen1 did (13889 in US / 17020 globally).

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts

This is what happens when a gen 1 Insight can't find a replacement rear bumper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts