Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m starting to think we’re going to be owners of a rare car soon. I don’t understand why though. Oh well. Hopefully when they age it won’t be hard to get parts for.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Still haven't seen a single other one on the road though, kinda weird after driving a cavalier and an outback which were always everywhere. Hope it won't be problem finding mechanics and parts.
I have same long-term concern on accessibility to parts and maintenance options. I'm in this for the long haul, so I hope Honda has a long term growth strategy for the Insight along with us. :plain:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
I have same long-term concern on accessibility to parts and maintenance options. I'm in this for the long haul, so I hope Honda has a long term growth strategy for the Insight along with us. :plain:
I remember reading somewhere that in the US any vehicle sold must have guaranteed parts for 10 years. Honda specifically I think is 15 years or right before they cease making parts they make a big batch of them.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that in the US any vehicle sold must have guaranteed parts for 10 years. Honda specifically I think is 15 years or right before they cease making parts they make a big batch of them.
Yes, you mentioned it here :) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/18872-post4.html

I'd guess that only a certain % of parts are made relative to the total number of cars sold for the model. And even if available, there's no guarantee of 'affordability'/cost. The long-term cost of hybrid repairs/maintenance are one deterrent quoted by 'online mechanics.' :(

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
Yes, you mentioned it here :) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/18872-post4.html

I'd guess that only a certain % of parts are made relative to the total number of cars sold for the model. And even if available, there's no guarantee of 'affordability'/cost. The long-term cost of hybrid repairs/maintenance are one deterrent quoted by 'online mechanics.' :(
They sort of have to keep making parts for 15 years until the last 3rd gen Insight is sold due to the California emissions warranty some of us get. I plan to go full EV within 10 years so I won't be driving my Insight until it falls apart.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
They sort of have to keep making parts for 15 years until the last 3rd gen Insight is sold due to the California emissions warranty some of us get. I plan to go full EV within 10 years so I won't be driving my Insight until it falls apart.
Yeah, that's the difference in lack of concern, I think. I've driven my Hondas for 20+ years each until irreparable failure or damage, and my plan is to do so with the Insight. Parts for Accords and Civics of the past aren't an issue because so many of them are still on the road. If my Gen3 Insight is the only one left on the road 20+ years from now, I expect part availability and cost to be ridiculous. It's that factor that may lead me to drop the Insight sooner than later, if I see this play out.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,532 Posts
I feel bad for the Gen 1 owners who have turned to cannibalism to keep their Insights on the road. Every wrecked Gen 1 has a swarm of bottom-feeders waiting to scavenge parts!

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I feel bad for the Gen 1 owners who have turned to cannibalism to keep their Insights on the road. Every wrecked Gen 1 has a swarm of bottom-feeders waiting to scavenge parts!
OMG, exactly what I want to avoid! The good news (?) is that the Gen3 has sold more units to-date than the Gen1 did (13889 in US / 17020 globally).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts

This is what happens when a gen 1 Insight can't find a replacement rear bumper.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree our gen3 insight is rare. I am slightly concerned that Honda will discontinue it soon. I’m curious about how the rareness and limited production of our insights will affect the future resale value? I’m not too concerned since we typically keep our cars a long time; but i did think about that when we were shopping the insight compared to a new Prius.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I agree our gen3 insight is rare. I am slightly concerned that Honda will discontinue it soon. I’m curious about how the rareness and limited production of our insights will affect the future resale value? I’m not too concerned since we typically keep our cars a long time; but i did think about that when we were shopping the insight compared to a new Prius.
I tend to buy/hold my cars as well, so I'm less concerned about resale (since it only matters if/when I sell) but more concerned about long-term parts/service.

There were far fewer of the Gen1 Insight sold than Gen3 Insight sales to-date, yet Gen1 Insight forums still have diehard fans and DIY mechanics. Original MSRP for the Gen1 in 2000 was $18.8-20.1k, which is equivalent to $28.4-30.3k in today's dollars (with inflation). From a resale value standpoint, a quick national search on CarGurus suggests that the Gen 1 Insight (2000-2004) with 100-150k miles resells today for $3-5k (10-15% value after 20 years).

Shorter term for the Gen3 Insight, KBB estimates 53.7% value after 3 years, and 37.7% after 5 years, and the Gen3 Insight was named the 'best' value resale by KBB, Consumer Guide, and Edmunds.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My wife had a '06 gen 1. Sold it years ago at 120k miles and 54.5 mpg overall. The HV battery was getting tired and would soon need a replacement. The new owner got a new battery and loved it!
If I had one, i"d get new tires, wax to a brilliant shine, put it top operating condition, then park it a garage till 2035. That's the year you won't be able to buy a car with an ICE, in California.Then I'd put it up for sale, as the classic car that started the electric car revolution!! ....and be asking for top, inflation adjusted, dollar of course. :)

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
My wife had a '06 gen 1. Sold it years ago at 120k miles and 54.5 mpg overall. The HV battery was getting tired and would soon need a replacement. The new owner got a new battery and loved it!
If I had one, i"d get new tires, wax to a brilliant shine, put it top operating condition, then park it a garage till 2035. That's the year you won't be able to buy a car with an ICE, in California.Then I'd put it up for sale, as the classic car that started the electric car revolution!! ....and be asking for top, inflation adjusted, dollar of course. :)
Do you recall what % resale value you got after X years of ownership, relative to original purchase price? Did you have any issues with service or parts on the Gen1 given the relatively short model cycle, and timing gap to when the Gen2 came out?

Gen1 Insight = 1999 - 2006 model years
Gen2 Insight = 2009 - 2014 model years
Gen3 Insight = 2019+ model years

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thank you for interesting questions. I checked and it turns out my wife kept some interesting records.
The car was bought new from local Honda dealer May 2006 for $22,248. Sold Aug 2015 for $3200.at 100,800 total miles.

Following are the repairs needed outside the normal maintenance schedule done at the dealer with no wait for parts.. Brakes ($314.65), (small 12 volt) Battery ($159.17), Fix leaky door $327), Head light bulb ($21.04), Engine warning light issue ($42.00).

Two sets of tires. Each set $622. (Special ordered from Bridgestone by local tire store. 3-7 day wait)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts