Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I go to fill up my Insight, maybe 50 miles of range left, and gas clicks off after about 8 gallons. Then ....... gas starts bubbling up the filler neck. It doesn’t come up and out but you can see it in the filler neck. This bubbling goes on for at least 30 seconds or more. The ambient temperature is 82 degrees. This has happened on 2 occasions. I took it to Honda and they said it’s normal as long as it doesn’t get so severe that it comes and drain down the fender. I think it’s a problem with a check valve in the gas tank vent??? Any insight, no pun intended, that you can provide is appreciated. Also the car has a slight vibration in the drive line when sitting still and the engine is charging the traction battery. The traction battery will only have two bars so the charging system might be under heavy load. Once again Honda says normal but I am asking for opinions. The photo is a screen shot from a video so I apologize but it’s much worse on video.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
The bubbling issue does not sound right/normal. I'm a little concerned that you may have similar issue brewing as @Richard_RSP described here; haven't heard yet what final finding or resolution was - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/3290-fuel-leak-roadside-assistance-experience.html

The vibration issue that you mentioned has been described by some as an 'engine misfire' and mostly seems to happen in colder ambient temps and/or while cabin heat is running. Are the descriptions in the following thread similar to what you've experienced - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/153-2019-powertrain-technical-discussion/2332-engine-misfire.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank god the gas issue wasn’t like what happened to the other guy. The drive line vibration on mine on,y occurs when the traction battery is low state of charge. Maybe 2 bars and charging aggressively, more load, I think, than when the battery has a higher charge displayed. As far as the gas bubbling up, it’s weird and goes on for like 30 seconds after the gas pump clicks off. I assume it’s a defective check valve on the vent system. Just disappointed that the dealership says it’s normal when it’s not. I really think they can’t explain the issue and if they can’t explain the issue they can’t charge Honda for a repair to the car. All 3 things I brought the car in for were considered “normal”. They were (1) bubbling gas issue (2) fluttering hood at high speeds, which I think is probably not a big deal (3) driveline vibration, may be normal but who knows. They service guy says as long as Honda knows about it, they will fix it. Yeah right! They will tell me to pound sand if I’m out of warranty. Question is, I wonder if this has someth8ng to do with emission control on the vehicle and if the feds would force Honda to do something. Really don’t want to go to that crazy on it but, I just want it fixed.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
All 3 things I brought the car in for were considered “normal”. They were (1) bubbling gas issue (2) fluttering hood at high speeds, which I think is probably not a big deal (3) driveline vibration, may be normal but who knows. They service guy says as long as Honda knows about it, they will fix it. Yeah right! They will tell me to pound sand if I’m out of warranty. Question is, I wonder if this has someth8ng to do with emission control on the vehicle and if the feds would force Honda to do something. Really don’t want to go to that crazy on it but, I just want it fixed.
So the drive line vibration happens at any exterior temperature (warm/cool) and engine condition (not just cold start) when the HV battery charge is low?

Might not be a bad ideal to pull the 'federal emissions' card. I think you could make an argument for it falling under the "Evaporative and Refueling Emissions Control Systems." You can see the covered parts on this emissions warranty parts list. Standard coverage is 3 yrs / 36k miles, but you get extended coverage thru 15 yrs / 150k miles if you're in a "B" state (see top of page in link).

Are there any other nearby Honda dealers you can visit to see if they'll handle your issues any differently?

There are some tips in the following thread for hood flutter, including DIY stopper adjustments which might reduce the movement for you - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/313-exterior/1932-loose-trunk-hood-door-gaps-might-fix-your-problem.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I live in a A state so I only get the 3/36 warranty which makes me anxious that something will screw up on me out of warranty. I fully expect Honda to tell me to get bent if it does. The drive line vibration occurs at various states of engine temperature and ambient temp is warm, hot for most as I live in the south at the beach. Temps typically over 70. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
You have the following options if you feel your primary dealership is brushing you off.

• Get a second opinion at another Honda dealership.
  • Notify Honda corporate. https://crrs.secure.force.com/service/hondaw2c
  • If you disagree with the decision reached by the staff of Honda Automobile Customer Service, you may request to have your case reviewed in an independent forum run by the National Center for Dispute Settlement (NCDS).You may file a claim at any time by calling NCDS toll-free at 877-545-0055, ext. 120.
    You may also write to: National Center for Dispute Settlement
    P.O. Box 1108
    Mt. Clemens, MI 48046
  • An owner may obtain further information concerning emission warranties or report violations of the terms of the emission warranties by contacting:
    Email: [email protected]
  • https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ File a complaint with NHTSA

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Was wondering - does anyone know definitively if dealerships share information by VIN? - i.e. would another dealer know if an issue was reported and dismissed at a prior dealer?

My experience in different states suggests they're not connected (i.e. service history didn't transfer). But times and computer systems are a-changing, so not sure as of now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think that they share info from other dealerships. I know with my 2003 BMW they could see all the work ever done to the car. Hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I would almost guarantee that they do share information. Anyone else out there ever experienced this or am I the only lucky guy to have this happen to them. Unfortunately no other local dealers, would have to drive about 1.5 hours to nearest dealership. Just for kicks, I submitted an online request thru the customer service on Honda’s corporate web site. Hope it won’t fall on deaf ears.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Was wondering - does anyone know definitively if dealerships share information by VIN? - i.e. would another dealer know if an issue was reported and dismissed at a prior dealer?

My experience in different states suggests they're not connected (i.e. service history didn't transfer). But times and computer systems are a-changing, so not sure as of now.
To answer your first question: Maybe, if the first dealership actually filed the service request with corresponding notes, and if the second dealership was inclined to check. If you are worried about this, you can always be upfront with the second dealer.

To answer your second question:

I believe it depends on manufacturer. Think of it like going to an ER. Your medical records exist out there somewhere, and if you go to another hospital in the same network, they can often access your medical records almost immediately.

Some Manufacturers offer real time access to service records, while others store the records at a central location and the dealership can request access to them. It really depends if a dealership bothers to check the service records. This of course can be a blessing and a curse. I would never deliberately lie to a dealership, because if they catch you in the lie, chances are they will cease to be helpful.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Could also be a defective charcoal canister, if the charcoal is clogging the vent, it'll cause all kinds of gas filling issues.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts

Didn't a forum member here said they tried to get an issue solve at another dealership but was asked by the 2nd dealership to go back to the first dealership because Honda wouldn't approve a 2nd warranty claim for the same issue at a different dealership?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to keep you guys informed, I spoke with the service writer at the dealership and requested that she provide me with written documentation from Honda stating that this is normal. She claims she will provide to me tomorrow. I would love to upload the video I took but the forum doesn’t allow videos. Also no word from Honda yet. Once I have some info I will post. Thanks for everyone’s help and suggestions regarding the refueling issue I am having.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just to keep you guys informed, I spoke with the service writer at the dealership and requested that she provide me with written documentation from Honda stating that this is normal. She claims she will provide to me tomorrow. I would love to upload the video I took but the forum doesn’t allow videos. Also no word from Honda yet. Once I have some info I will post. Thanks for everyone’s help and suggestions regarding the refueling issue I am having.
If you wish I'd be more than happy to host your video on my YouTube channel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for offering and I would be glad to share the video with you. Just tell me how to do so. Today I went back to the dealership to see if I could get a copy of the Honda document that says what I am experiencing is normal. Come to find out the document is just a screen shot of a forum hosted by Honda for their mechanics to bounce ideas off of. Someone on the forum says that if the gas doesn’t bubble over the “bezel” and on to the fender, it is considered normal. Also said if you immediately remove gas nozzle you can see this happen. I really don’t think so. I have never seen this on any car I’ve owned. On a positive note, the service manager seems sincere and acts like he wants to figure out what’s going on but, I’m the one who will be stuck with the repair bill if they don’t fix it. Also Honda customer service sent me an email. I’ll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for offering and I would be glad to share the video with you. Just tell me how to do so. Today I went back to the dealership to see if I could get a copy of the Honda document that says what I am experiencing is normal. Come to find out the document is just a screen shot of a forum hosted by Honda for their mechanics to bounce ideas off of. Someone on the forum says that if the gas doesn’t bubble over the “bezel” and on to the fender, it is considered normal. Also said if you immediately remove gas nozzle you can see this happen. I really don’t think so. I have never seen this on any car I’ve owned. On a positive note, the service manager seems sincere and acts like he wants to figure out what’s going on but, I’m the one who will be stuck with the repair bill if they don’t fix it. Also Honda customer service sent me an email. I’ll keep you guys posted.
If there is anyone who's good at knowing where he can put his video so I can download it please let us know and I'll put it on the channel so others can learn about this problem. If you want feel free to talk on the video about what's going on etc. How big is the video?

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Today I went back to the dealership to see if I could get a copy of the Honda document that says what I am experiencing is normal. Come to find out the document is just a screen shot of a forum hosted by Honda for their mechanics to bounce ideas off of. Someone on the forum says that if the gas doesn’t bubble over the “bezel” and on to the fender, it is considered normal. Also said if you immediately remove gas nozzle you can see this happen. I really don’t think so. I have never seen this on any car I’ve owned.
Interesting... would love to get Honda techs on this site too and/or be able to see some of those discussions! Was a website address shared?

Also wondering if there was a specific model/year that the forum discussion mentioned. I could 'almost' picture an older car doing what was described, but with emissions standards and systems for modern cars, it sounds very improbable as something normal.

Does the issue continue to happen for you, every time you fill up?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
If there is anyone who's good at knowing where he can put his video so I can download it please let us know and I'll put it on the channel so others can learn about this problem. If you want feel free to talk on the video about what's going on etc. How big is the video?
He could upload it to google drive and make a shareable link.
https://www.google.com/drive/

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The video is about 30 or 35;seconds long. I’m not talking during the filming. It just shows the gas nozzle clicking off, me removing the gas nozzle and gas bubbling/percolating up the filler neck. I took the video on my iPhone. Car was low on gas, about 25-50 miles range and ambient temp was 82.

Another poster asked about how often, only one other time. They also wanted to know about website address. The service writer made is sound like it was a website that Honda mechanics go to and ask questions to other mechanics about their issues. Don’t know if there was confusion about wether or not they were discussing a gen 3 Insight or not.

I’m just afraid that I’ll be stuck with this issue after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Follow. This link to YouTube. Just posted it. Please watch and comment. Please keep in mind pump cuts off when tank is about 3/4 or 7/8 full.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts