Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get into idle mode? When I push start its always in EV Mode. Even if I then put it in Drive and Sport Mode its still not starting the Gas Engine. If I use the Remote Start Phone App then the Gas Engine Starts up.

·
Super Moderator
1,238 Posts
How do you get into idle mode? When I push start its always in EV Mode. Even if I then put it in Drive and Sport Mode its still not starting the Gas Engine. If I use the Remote Start Phone App then the Gas Engine Starts up.
Kicking on the cabin heat to "Hi" will invoke the engine as it's required in order to actively run the heat. Remote start does this automatically since it will kick on both defrosters in cool/cold weather.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Sounds like you're car had 3+ bars of HV battery and the ambient temperatures are warm enough for the car to start in EV mode. The climate control is linked to the gas engine, so cranking it up will trigger the gas engine, as hasarad mentioned.

Sport mode should also trigger the gas engine, as well as just leaving the car on long enough where HV battery falls to 3 bars or less.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kicking on the cabin heat to "Hi" will invoke the engine as it's required in order to actively run the heat. Remote start does this automatically since it will kick on both defrosters in cool/cold weather.

This works, thank you. I had already tried the Sport Mode. Its not our daily driver yet, so just wanting to keep it started up every couple of days in-between any drives. I also have a Battery Tender if and when needed.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
This works, thank you. I had already tried the Sport Mode. Its not our daily driver yet, so just wanting to keep it started up every couple of days in-between any drives. I also have a Battery Tender if and when needed.
You should be fine for up to 3 months. Honda advises that the Insight be turned on at least 30 minutes once every 3 months to keep the HV battery charged.

Keeping the HV battery charged is main concern, and the gas engine less so. The longest I've gone without driving the Insight is ~3 weeks but I experienced no issues.

There are some forum members who 'lay up' the Insight off season, and also seem to be okay... but good to have a battery tender on hand regardless. Just be sure it's AGM-compatible - How to trickle charge 12v when laying up Insight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts