Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got glasscoat as a free add-on with the extended warranty. I decided to do a waterless wash yesterday and I found that some dirt in front of the car is UNDER the coat. Has anyone else had this done? I'm wondering how common this is. I had other issues with this car but I feel like I'm a nuisance to this dealership where my dad works. Does anyone know how easy it is to fix dirt under the glasscoat?

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
I wasn't familiar with glass coating, but found a forum article and a detailing discussion, which provided these descriptions:
https://www.mycarforum.com/forums/topic/2710018-ceramic-or-glass-coat/
https://autodetailingpro.ca/glass-coating-vs-ceramic-coating/

CERAMIC COATING - resin that bonds to factory clearcoat to form a hard, chemical-resistant finish. A heating/curing process completes the bonding. Protects from environmental conditions ordinary wax cannot. Has 4-6 month durability.

GLASS COATING - nano-particles in a carrier solvent which form a film as the solvent dries. As the solvent evaporates, voids can be left between the nano particles. Durable, easy to apply, costs more, and more time to apply.

Both require prep to remove contaminants before application, since the final finish lasts a long while (months) and the starting quality of the surface determines the coating's bond quality to the paint surface.

Given these coating features, I'm not sure there's an 'easy' way to remove dirt from under the coating. A sanding/polishing (or the right solvent?) would be needed to remove the coating, then the area cleaned, and then the coating re-applied -?

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
So I got glasscoat as a free add-on with the extended warranty. I decided to do a waterless wash yesterday and I found that some dirt in front of the car is UNDER the coat. Has anyone else had this done? I'm wondering how common this is. I had other issues with this car but I feel like I'm a nuisance to this dealership where my dad works. Does anyone know how easy it is to fix dirt under the glasscoat?
Sounds like they didn't clean the car thoroughly before applying the glass coat. I would ask them to fix it whether they think I'm a nuisance or not. The worst they can do is tell you no and consider not to do business with them in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts