Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Goodbye - Trading in 2019 Honda Insight Touring

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  andrew28 
#1 ·
It's a happy sad feeling. Today I made the decision to trade in my 2019 Honda Insight Hybrid Touring with just under 26,000 miles. I needed a car with more cargo space and a roomier backseat. I decided to go with, drumroll please........ A 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Touring! The CR-V is not in yet, no dealers in Oklahoma have any yet, so I am still in my Insight. It was quite a process even trying to allocate a vehicle that doesn't exist yet or even find a dealer that would place an order, or a dealer who wouldn't charge a "market price adjustment". First dealer we went to was only willing to charge MSRP plus $5,000 dollars as we would be the only ones in the Southern Region of American Honda to have a CR-V Hybrid and that it was a "privilege" for us to even be getting this car. Needlessly to say, we left that dealership and will likely never go back.

I'm sad to be trading off my Insight, it's been a great car and has been everything I expected it to be. More room is needed but I'm happy to be staying in the Honda brand and the fact that the car is still a hybrid.

I appreciate all contributors to this site and am grateful for all of the shared knowledge.... Thank you to you all! I wish you the best and will be lurking from the sidelines. :)

#2 ·
Two years of ownership seems kinda short... but that's probably because I think of keeping mine for 20+, LOL.

Thanks for your contributions to the forum, especially as one of the first posters on the topics of Dash Cams and LED Light installs. Hope you enjoy the CR-V Hybrid, and would like to hear your initial impressions of the CR-V Hybrid compared to the Insight.

#3 ·
Curious how much you will get. I’m thinking of taking the plunge as well. From an EX to an EX though. KBB shows trade in for very good condition as high of almost 18k. The dealer I spoke to said it would probably closer to 16 (for the EX...). Private party sale a high of 21k. I bought it 1.5 years ago for 24k.

#4 ·
I appreciate all contributors to this site and am grateful for all of the shared knowledge.... Thank you to you all! I wish you the best and will be lurking from the sidelines.
Count me in as another person wanting to read about your experience with the CRV Hybrid. The powertrain is similar to the Insight so feel free to still post around the forum. :)

@J0j0yum You can also try carmax for a quote.

#5 ·
I will be sure to share my thoughts on the CR-V Hybrid when I get it, hopefully before the end of March. It was a chore to find a dealer who was getting any of them in Touring trim (or any at all) and wouldn't charge above sticker. It's not like this is a limited edition trim level or exotic vehicle.... A little frustrating to me but I guess it's the business.

It took some work to get them to give me what I felt I deserved on my trade. I am just shy of 26,000 miles and have no cosmetic or mechanical issues. No dings, dents, scrapes, or scratches, and interior is spotless. I felt it was in like new condition and I wanted the trade in price to reflect that. It took several hours and lots of discussion but I finally got to where I wanted to be and almost broke even on the car.... lost less than a $1,000 vs what I owed on it and I can live with that. I hate buying cars, I don't like all the games and all the run around... It's a hassle. I'm just relieved that it's over with and that it worked out in my favor.

It was a really hard decision as I was and still am REALLY happy with my Insight! It's one of the nicest cars I've ever had and it has done everything I asked it to do and expected out of it, sad to see it go!

If you know anyone looking for a spare tire and jack kit for the insight, or a civic for that matter, let me know! ;)
Might keep the Honda OEM all weather mats out of it too if someone is interested in those.

#6 ·
#10 ·
Eh... Not quite $10,000. About $4,000 in depreciation from purchase price to trade-in. Trade-in value VS what I owe left me with less than $1,000 in negative equity. I was real nervous trading in a car this early in the game.... Last car I owned, I came out far ahead as I didn't owe much on it at all but worked to get a fair trade value.

#13 ·
Good news! I took delivery of my 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Touring yesterday evening! Knew someone who works at another Honda dealer in the Oklahoma City Metro who said they were getting the exact same CR-V I was waiting on and would do whatever it took to "win my business" (typical car salesperson lingo.... insert eye roll here). So I thought to myself, I have a little time, I'll see if I could work something out with them. Ended up getting about 1,500 more for my trade, still paid MSRP on the new car (same as the last dealer), but their "protection package" with floor mats, window tint, etc. had the same items in it but was $300 bucks less. So it really was a good deal, far better than I was getting previously.

After driving it home last night, to work today, and also a few errands.... I really do enjoy it. The ride is so nice and smooth and the powertrain is SO quiet. So, so quiet. I have about 130 miles on the ODO and the computer is stating 40.1 MPG. We'll see fi that's accurate after I do the math to get the real number... I'll keep you posted! I love having all the room the CR-V has to offer. So far I'm really impressed!

#14 ·

^Here's the break in instructions in case you haven't got the chance to read the owner's manual yet.

^I also learned something new about the EPS which should apply to the Insight, too. Honda added some interesting explanations and precautions in the CRV Hybrid owner's manual which I think might be worth a read for me. :unsure::)

Looking forward to reading your review @Johudso7!

#15 ·
The power steering one is an odd one to me! I've never heard of that and certainly don't remember reading that on my 2019 Insight manual. Making sure they are covering EVERYTHING I assume. Interesting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.