Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm officially an Insight owner! I live in the Canadian prairies so I'm curious to see how it performs in sub zero temps.

Picked up my 2020 Touring from the dealer yesterday. Modern Steel Metallic, added the spoiler and the trunk tray. Put on 50+ kms over the last 2 days and am loving the 4.4L/100km (53 mpg... Stupid metric system). I came from a 17 Ford Explorer... So the non moving gas gauge is a welcome sight.

I'm planning to swap the turn signals and plate lights to LED this week.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
I'm planning to swap the turn signals and plate lights to LED this week.
Congratulations on your new Insight!

The only non-LED lights, with the exception of the interior, are the rear turn signals and reverse lights. Turn signal bulbs will require a resistor. I've been running these Oxilam signal bulbs for over a year without issues:

Everything else is good-to-go!

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
I'm officially an Insight owner! I live in the Canadian prairies so I'm curious to see how it performs in sub zero temps.
It's sort of like a Civic mpg wise in the Winter. Enjoy the high mpgs during the Summer and Fall while it last. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
I live in the Canadian prairies so I'm curious to see how it performs in sub zero temps.
As a starting point, a AAA study showed fuel economy loss in 20F (-7C) temperatures as -40% in electric vehicles, -30% in hybrids, and -15% in conventional vehicles. The ideal operating range for HV batteries is 59 to 95F (15 to 35C), and temperatures above/below this impact EV/hybrid fuel economy.

In the US, we also get different gas formulations for summer and winter to help manage emissions. The winter blend formula, should only be a 2% difference to fuel economy, but nets at more because of the colder temps.

Some 'starter' links to sub-zero performance observations from other Insight owners:
Also, as a cold weather side tip, if the fuel door gets frozen shut, there is option to manually open it from inside the trunk - How to manually open Fuel Door

1 - 8 of 8 Posts