Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm not yet an Insight owner, but hoping to change that. Been reading some threads on the forum to get an idea of any issues and how others like their cars. People seem to be generally favorable of them, and from the few test drives I've taken now I'm excited to get one.

Have a few questions, need to find the appropriate thread to ask in, or search and confirm they're not already answered.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hey mdsix. Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure one of the SuperMods will get in touch with you and help you out. We have a nice crowd here and we love to help newbies. If you wish I have made an entire YouTube channel with information and videos about the Insight. If you can't find something in here then feel free to check out the channel for more info. The channel is Verdier400.

I'm always willing to answer any questions you have from any of my videos, and the guys here will be sure to correct any mistakes I make when I tell you stuff. ;)

Take care.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Hello all, I'm not yet an Insight owner, but hoping to change that. Been reading some threads on the forum to get an idea of any issues and how others like their cars. People seem to be generally favorable of them, and from the few test drives I've taken now I'm excited to get one.

Have a few questions, need to find the appropriate thread to ask in, or search and confirm they're not already answered.
Welcome to the forum! Will the Insight be your first hybrid? It's a great time to be looking at the Insight, as Honda is currently offering its first incentives on the Insight since the Gen3 debuted in 2018. Honda offering 0.9% APR for up to 60 months 2020 Honda...

Give the search field a try for topics of interest, and feel free to post your initial questions here as well. Our forum members can help you find the information you're looking for... or maybe it just hasn't been asked before.

The "NEW" icon in the top right corner is the best way to see what's been posted lately, and the "bullet list" icon to its right takes you to the overall forum structure, where topics are grouped by themes (e.g. pricing, mpg, battery).

To create a new thread in one of the forums, click on the "Start Discussion" blue button in the upper right corner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes this would be my first hybrid, though not my first Honda.

That's actually one thing I was wondering, as the 2021s are coming out and deals are being offered on older models, is there any risk to buying a 2020 or even a 2019 that's been sitting on a lot for some time? I thought I had seen a couple threads, where other owners experienced some issues that were attributed to sitting for a while (battery discharge?). One dealer quoted $21,100 for a 2020 EX which seems to be an excellent deal, and there are even some new 2019s in stock around me.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts

That's actually one thing I was wondering, as the 2021s are coming out and deals are being offered on older models, is there any risk to buying a 2020 or even a 2019 that's been sitting on a lot for some time? I thought I had seen a couple threads, where other owners experienced some issues that were attributed to sitting for a while (battery discharge?). One dealer quoted $21,100 for a 2020 EX which seems to be an excellent deal, and there are even some new 2019s in stock around me.
Several of us here are in the longstanding Honda / first hybrid group, so you're in good company. :)

Personally, I'd be wary of buying a new 2019 model at this point... or at a minimum, would want to ensure that a fresh 12V AGM battery gets installed, and oil/brake fluids get replaced (not just topped off).

You can find the manufacture date (MM/YY) for the car in the upper right corner of a sticker on the driver's side door jamb. To estimate the amount of time the car has been on lot, take the difference between 'today' and that date.
  • 2019 launch date = 6/30/18 --> worst case on lot for 728+ days
  • 2020 launch date = 7/16/19 --> worst case on lot for 347+ days
  • 2021 launch date = 3/24/20 --> worst case on lot for 95+ days
For battery health, Honda recommends the Insight be run for 30 minutes at least every 3 months, and it's doubtful that dealers are tracking/doing this since it's not required for the majority of their car inventory with conventional engines. The HV battery life is also temperature-sensitive, so there's some risk of long-term issues especially if your dealer is in a warm/hot climate (e.g. earlier replacement, less fuel economy).

The 2019 model is also likely to have the fuel pump recall issue (14949 of 23686 / 63% of 2019 model year affected), though the dealer should see/handle this before delivery. Only 10 Insights in the 2020 model year are affected by the fuel pump recall, and the 2021 Insights shouldn't have this problem at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
I honestly wouldn't be too concerned about the battery once I knew the potential issue. The warranty starts on the date of sale, and many of the components have a warranty that far exceed the bumper-to-bumper warranty. For the right price, I'd jump on a leftover model. The blind spot monitoring upgrade wouldn't be enough to make me switch. Then again, most of my driving is on single-lane roads.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts

It really depends on the price because ideally you want a car with a lithium ion battery that hasn't been fully discharged sitting on the dealership lot for a long time. I would honestly take a pre-owned 2019 Insight that has been driven once a week vs a new one sitting on the dealership lot for more than a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts