Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been using Google Maps through Android Auto every day on my commute to/from work mainly just to see traffic info along my route. But, I've noticed that every single day a message pops up on the screen on the instrument cluster saying: "Guidance Unavailable. Map data update in process."

After a few days, I realized this was happening at the exact same point in my commute every single day which was right as I was getting on or off the thruway. Seems very odd to me and I don't know what could be causing it to happen everyday and at the exact same time.

Has anyone had this same error message before? I find it unlikely that it's the built-in navigation (I have a touring model) as I am using Google Maps, but I read on the forums about how to update the Garmin navigation. So I am going to give that a go and see it it fixes this error, but seems unrelated.

Any thoughts or advice?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
So I have been using Google Maps through Android Auto every day on my commute to/from work mainly just to see traffic info along my route. But, I've noticed that every single day a message pops up on the screen on the instrument cluster saying: "Guidance Unavailable. Map data update in process."

After a few days, I realized this was happening at the exact same point in my commute every single day which was right as I was getting on or off the thruway. Seems very odd to me and I don't know what could be causing it to happen everyday and at the exact same time.

Has anyone had this same error message before? I find it unlikely that it's the built-in navigation (I have a touring model) as I am using Google Maps, but I read on the forums about how to update the Garmin navigation. So I am going to give that a go and see it it fixes this error, but seems unrelated.

Any thoughts or advice?
Android Auto runs off your phone instead of the car. Maybe it's a data coverage issue at that location where your phone can't access the internet to retrieve map data? Have you try downloading google offline maps for that area to see if you still get the error?

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
I just switched from Android Auto to Apple CArPlay. I used to have the guidance unavailable error with my Galaxy 7. The iPhone 7 has been flawless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should already have the maps downloaded for offline use, but I will check again. And @Hasard, did you have the guidance unavailable error in the same location every time?

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
I should already have the maps downloaded for offline use, but I will check again. And @Hasard, did you have the guidance unavailable error in the same location every time?
Yes. Same location - coming across the Rt 22 bridge from PA to NJ in Phillipsburg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mhmm, weird. I updated my offline Google maps and I updated the Garmin navigation maps. Still getting the error :/ Not quite sure what could be causing it, I find it hard to believe I don't have a GPS or cell signal in that one spot.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Mhmm, weird. I updated my offline Google maps and I updated the Garmin navigation maps. Still getting the error :/ Not quite sure what could be causing it, I find it hard to believe I don't have a GPS or cell signal in that one spot.
Have you try another navigation app like Waze with Android Auto? If Waze works then it might be a google maps bug.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yes. Same location - coming across the Rt 22 bridge from PA to NJ in Phillipsburg.
Probably specific to Hasarad, but could have been a combination of changing states and wonky reception issues. I've noticed that before. Maps apps, generally "refresh data" when crossing a state line or regional barrier, and with less than ideal reception I've seen the app hang for ~30 seconds. I have yet to have the issue specifically with the insight, but I've noticed it when traveling and using phone based gps in the past.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I'll try a different maps app and report back. And yea, mine is just getting on/off the highway...continues to happen every time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This happens to me all the time. But to be clear, the guidance unavailable thing only happen in the middle of the power meter on the dashboard. The maps in AA is still working just fine on the console. It is only where it is giving you the "next turn" info that goes to guidance unavailable.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
This happens to me all the time. But to be clear, the guidance unavailable thing only happen in the middle of the power meter on the dashboard. The maps in AA is still working just fine on the console. It is only where it is giving you the "next turn" info that goes to guidance unavailable.
This happened to me for the first time today while I was testing out the vehicle GPS with Google Maps. The error message shows up in the DII where the turn by turn arrows appear but Google Maps remains normal on the display audio screen. It happened when I was exiting off the highway and when I was re-entering on the other side. Since it's happening in the DII, I wonder if it has to do with a particular turn by turn arrow image(not sure if the arrows are provided by google maps or preloaded by Honda) not being available, that looks similar to the road we're approaching. I had on rare occasions where I seen turn by turn arrows(on the DII) that don't match anything like the road I'm on or as indicated on Google Maps via the display audio screen.

I just switched from Android Auto to Apple CArPlay. I used to have the guidance unavailable error with my Galaxy 7. The iPhone 7 has been flawless.
I don't think we will have this issue with CarPlay because CarPlay can't make use of the turn by turn arrow feature in the DII.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I had this happen to me a few more times at different places but it always occur around entering/exiting on a highway. Seems to be an issue with Google Maps via Android Auto because it doesn't happen in these locations with Waze via Android Auto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have confirmed that this happens to me on ANY highway on or off ramp with Google Maps. I tried using Waze today via Android Auto and it did not give this error as reported by others. I much much prefer Google Maps over Waze and will continue to use it, but it is definitely quite annoying to see that pop up every day. Any suggestions on how we could get this fixed? Maybe contact Google or Honda? It's a stretch, but may be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I have confirmed that this happens to me on ANY highway on or off ramp with Google Maps. I tried using Waze today via Android Auto and it did not give this error as reported by others. I much much prefer Google Maps over Waze and will continue to use it, but it is definitely quite annoying to see that pop up every day. Any suggestions on how we could get this fixed? Maybe contact Google or Honda? It's a stretch, but may be worth it.
You can report Google Maps (Android Auto) issues to the Official Android Auto support forum using the below template.

Issues with Google Maps navigation:

• Error message: if available
  • Are you using Android Auto on your phone screen or car’s display?
  • Does the issue occur outside of Android Auto app?
  • Car / head unit make & model: if you use Android Auto on your car display
  • Phone make & model:
  • Android OS version:
  • Android Auto app version:
  • Google Play services version: (Settings > Apps (or Apps & notifications > App info) > Google Play services)
  • Google Maps version:

https://support.google.com/androidauto/community?hl=en

I'm assuming it's a Google Maps issue instead of a Honda issue since Waze works fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts