Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm a police officer and have been looking for a safe storage solution for my daily carry firearm as well as my duty weapon. Currently, I keep the daily carry in the center console (fits nicely) and my duty rig in the truck. I park in a secure space during the day and bring them in at night (even though I park in a secure building at night).

I'd love to find a solution to keep them both locked up securely in the car when out shopping or overnight somewhere that isn't "secure".

Yes, I know the inherent risk of keeping a firearm in a vehicle.
That's why I'm wanting to see if others have any solutions?

Ideally, I'd have a locking truck cabinet that could even hold a patrol rifle and shotgun, but I'm thinking something smaller is in order.

I was thinking something like this mounted in the truck somewhere.

Does anyone use anything or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
I'd love to find a solution to keep them both locked up securely in the car when out shopping or overnight somewhere that isn't "secure".
Couldn't you store them in the trunk? Just make sure you wrap your key fob in aluminum foil and it should be secured.
Holly Hubert, a retired FBI agent who now heads the cybersecurity firm GlobalSecurityIQ, has a tip for car owners – wrap those key fobs in aluminum foil when the car isn't in use. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/wrap-your-key-fob-in-aluminum-to-prevent-hacking-070918.html

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello all!

I'm a police officer and have been looking for a safe storage solution for my daily carry firearm as well as my duty weapon. Currently, I keep the daily carry in the center console (fits nicely) and my duty rig in the truck. I park in a secure space during the day and bring them in at night (even though I park in a secure building at night).

Yes, I know the inherent risk of keeping a firearm in a vehicle.
That's why I'm wanting to see if others have any solutions?

Ideally, I'd have a locking truck cabinet that could even hold a patrol rifle and shotgun, but I'm thinking something smaller is in order.

I was thinking something like this mounted in the truck somewhere.

Does anyone use anything or have any suggestions?

Thanks!
I use the GunVault - no need to fumble for a key. It’ll quickly open by your own programmed finger(s) press combination. For security you will need to mount it so it can’t be removed.

GunVault Minivault Standard Digital Pistol Safe GV1000C-STD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C601KA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SaJVCb7ZNH5NY

If you want a smaller box you can check out the GVB500

https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-MV500-Microvault-Pistol-Safe/dp/B000TG9RCC/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_2?keywords=gunvault+mvb5000&qid=1555969610&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr0

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
My idea is entirely outlandish/unrealistic... but when I thought about storage areas large enough for a rifle/shotgun in the Insight, the space under the rear seats (where the high voltage battery is located) came to mind. You'd have to undo everything 'hybrid' about the Insight and remove the battery to make this work (thus - outlandish). But in the Civic, this space is taken up by extra gas tank capacity rather than offering storage.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Come on man he's a cop not a smuggler, haha.

Although the general idea makes sense, as you could ask a custom stereo installer to build some kind of secure storage area for the long guns, using the area where the spare tire would normally sit. Could also add some carpeting to hide a pistol safe a bit better. I've been pondering a similar situation too, since the Insights and Civics don't have a locking glove box (which isn't really secure anyways).

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would buy a nylon bag holder for the firearm and use velcro strips to secure it to the ceiling of the cabin above the rear seats. As most criminals look for items on the seats, trunk or glove box to smash-and-grab, the ceiling may be the least conspicuous place in the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would not presume to tell a LEO the inherit dangers that might occur by leaving a firearm unintended in a vehicle. He has stated his awareness of this matter.

My experience is not first-hand but by hearing of what happened to two friends who are experts at weapon handling.

One friend, a LEO, had a semi-automatic stolen from his Chevy SUV that was parked at a Walmart between 11 AM and 11:30AM on a Saturday. The gun had been in a locked glove compartment.

Another friend, my gunsmith's Ram truck was broken into while parked in front of a Denny's restaurant at 6:30 PM on a Monday. His Remington shotgun was taken from his seat locker.

These events occurred in what we think of as a "safe" neighborhood. Until then, I had kept a loaded pistol in the center storage compartment of my cars. Not now. My pistol is always on me when I am away from the car.

I sincerely hope that you find a safe way to keep you weapon secure from theft while in a vehicle. I am most interested in learning if such a place exists.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
thanks for the information, but I really want an install type of safe or custom safe to be built in style

1 - 11 of 11 Posts