Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Had my first false positive crash mitigation incident

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Moviemike 
#1 ·
Was going about 40-45ish mph on a back road when all of a sudden the brake warning light began flashing, and I had a fraction of a second before the car slammed on the brakes. The wife and 1yr old in the back seat were both fairly pissed. Thank god no one was behind me, because we absolutely would've been rear-ended. My guess is it saw a shadow of a nearby tree combined with a dip in the ground and decided to throw everyone through the windshield.

I can't stand these automated systems.

#2 ·
I can't stand these automated systems.
Until it actually saves your life.

I work in the machine learning vision industry and I'd be the first to tell you that the technology isn't perfect, and while false positives suck (and thankfully nobody was behind you and it turned out to be just an inconvenience), I'd still prefer having a CMBS than none at all.

This is purely anecdotal, but a few years ago I was driving for Lyft in my previous vehicle (which didn't have a CMBS) and had just dropped off a long haul up in San Francisco. I was coming back down the peninsula on the freeway doing about 60mph and I looked away just for a moment and suddenly noticed the traffic in front of me had stopped and there was no way I could have stopped fast enough, so instinctively I swerved into the lane to the left of me and thankfully there was nobody there. A CMBS would have definitely caught the traffic before I did. This is also a good reason why you should NEVER look at your phone while driving. I never have since then. That put the fear of the Lord in me lol.

#4 ·
That won't work if it thinks there's an immanent collision.. We just need to get used to the few false collision detections it has.. I have driven over 70,000 miles and while they do piss me off when they happen - there have been three times where it saved my butt.. We have a lot of deer in our neighborhood and it saved me, today a dog I didn't see ran across the road while I was going 35 and I didn't have time to react and it saved him - that happened today.. Another time, I was doing 65 and someone pulled in front of me in the passing lane when I looked away for one second because my daughter was freaking out over a tiny jumping spider in the backseat. I will take the few false positives over the actual result that would have happened if I didn't have it at all. I am a great driver, but having the car watch out - I don't mind.. If someone hits me from behind because of it - then they were too close.. Get a dash cam with sound.. CYA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.