Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely need a better horn. The stock one is not sufficient for me. I want all the people looking at there phones while driving to actually hear the horn when I blow it at them for not paying attention to the light that just turned green. LOL.....

Has anyone done this yet on the Insight? I have put many horns on cars but this is my first Hybrid and first Honda. I usually make a wiring harness and tap right to the battery so the horns get full power. The problem with the Insight is the battery is in the passenger compartment. So it not too easy to get to the battery. Where can I grab power in the engine compartment?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

So far I love the car. Gas mileage isn't as good as I had hoped for but its cold in Pennsylvania so I am hoping warm weather will bring better MPG.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
I absolutely need a better horn. The stock one is not sufficient for me. I want all the people looking at there phones while driving to actually hear the horn when I blow it at them for not paying attention to the light that just turned green. LOL.....

Has anyone done this yet on the Insight? I have put many horns on cars but this is my first Hybrid and first Honda. I usually make a wiring harness and tap right to the battery so the horns get full power. The problem with the Insight is the battery is in the passenger compartment. So it not too easy to get to the battery. Where can I grab power in the engine compartment?

So far I love the car. Gas mileage isn't as good as I had hoped for but its cold in Pennsylvania so I am hoping warm weather will bring better MPG.
I have only used my horn once since I got my car late last month. From what I remember it sound kind of not that loud but I'm not sure if the decent sound proofing from the car had anything to do with it...

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I'll be interested to see what you find, as I haven't been thrilled about the Insight's meager "meep meep" horn. But I'm not seeing many options for pulling power in the engine compartment. I tried searching other cars but haven't found any with 12V battery inside the passenger cabin. The Clarity (EV) has a horn upgrade kit available; however the Clarity's 12V battery is under the hood.

While the 12V battery holds its own charge, it gets recharged/maintained by the high voltage battery and/or generator (DC-to-DC converter). "Reverse-engineering" one of the emergency shutdown methods for disconnecting power, there are 2 cables running power under the hood: 12V battery cable and DC-to-DC converter cable. These cables look pretty isolated/contained, so I'm not sure they can be tapped for power.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
You could tap into one of the fuse boxes in the engine compartment. There may be an open spot for a fuse tap or if there isn’t one open, use a piggy-back fuse tap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
there are terminals in the engine bay that are there incase you need to jump the vehicle, id imaged you could use these post to power the horn.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
there are terminals in the engine bay that are there in case you need to jump the vehicle, id imaged you could use these post to power the horn.
I'm not sure those terminals are set up for output. There are warnings that the terminals can be used to jump the Insight, but are not intended to jump another car. Though considerably less power would be needed for a horn. Anxiously awaiting additional detail and findings from @gerryzub.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Can you tender the 12v battery if the car will be parked for several weeks
You can, but you need to be more concerned about the high voltage battery. If it discharges too far you may end up having to have it towed to a dealer to get it going again.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
You can, but you need to be more concerned about the high voltage battery. If it discharges too far you may end up having to have it towed to a dealer to get it going again.
Totally agree with this point! The 'official' manual warning on the high voltage battery is highlighted in the attachment below.

The 12V battery doesn't start the engine in a hybrid; it manages electrical pre-checks before the high voltage battery is connected (along with powering auxiliary systems). The 12-volt battery doesn't power a conventional starter motor, so doesn't use the same level of energy. The 12V battery is also recharged by the high voltage battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here. The high voltage battery only charges the 12 volt battery when the car is turned on. The 12 volt battery still operates like a normal car battery, only smaller since it does not crank over the engine. It is only there for the computer systems.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too think the horn is crap. Here are some notes that I made while investigating replacement.

I bought a set of high / low horns from Amazon to put on ($16). I pulled the cover above the grill but I barely can see the horn from above...

The stock horn is next to the drivers side headlight. It can be seen much easier through the grille. I believe it could be easily unbolted via a socket with a long extension and a wobble joint, but the harness connection is obscured. The problem is, if the bolt securing it is removed it looks like it would be very hard to reattach without removing everything around it. Especially so since I cannot reach it to remove the power connection. Reassessment considered. I don't want to remove the bumper, all of the header trim, headlight and grille just to get to the **** thing.

I can reach the horn with my fingertips through the grille and noticed upon slight pulling - prodding that it feels like it weighs maybe a pound at most. OK. So maybe it can stay and either supplement the new horns or it can just hang there. I still will need access to the horns positive signal. The fact that its connection is hidden is troubling. The horn, grille, radiator support, bumper and headlight all connect in the that same location, and I haven't yet traced the source of horns power. It likely shares the same harness as the headlight, but that is obstructed as well.

It looks like a good mounting space for the new horns could be lower beneath the headlight behind the foglight area for easyaccessibility from below (at 1st glance anyways). There appears to be an oil cooler about 6-8 inches back from the foglight grille and I am considering a bracket for them down in front of that. Mounting the horns on the radiator support does not seem practical due to the inter-connectiveness of all of the front end parts. With the cover on top removed, it was clear that the whole front end is a honeycomb. With no access big enough for my hand with just cover removed.

I need a wire schematic to proceed or I need to remove the headlight to figure out whats going on there. Perhaps some guidance from anyone that has removed the bumper. Just pulling the bumper / grille might be easier, but installing the horns in front of radiator from above is not an option.

Wiring wise, I'll need:
a tap to the original horn feed wire (any ideas on color of that wire?),
a larger power wire to source for the feed to the 2 horn setup and also for some fog lights (maybe 2 separate wires, but seems unnecessary),
a pair of relays to run horns and fogs,

a negative wire for relays, horns and foglights (horns I bought don't use grounding through the bracket - good because that is often problematic)

trigger wire for the fogs
a good place to tap for power

I think I might use an old GM style high beam switch and mount on the floor to the left of the brake pedal to trigger the fogs. Easier than mucking under the dash and more easily maintained removed etc, and less of an impact on aesthetics. Also no need to source OEM switch and still looks stock versus some autozone switch etc.

Has anyone else mounted foglights themselves on these cars? Seems I remember reading someone paid the dealer to install OEM variety, but I am sure a cheaper solution exists and there really is no reason not to do this at the same time as the horns.

Further input from others requested.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I need a wire schematic to proceed or I need to remove the headlight to figure out whats going on there. Perhaps some guidance from anyone that has removed the bumper. Just pulling the bumper / grille might be easier, but installing the horns in front of radiator from above is not an option.
AMCooper63 is removed the bumper for his parking sensor install (while the rest of us had dealer install). The video in this thread goes by fast, but maybe you can see what you're looking for OR get firsthand info from AMCooper63's recollection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AMCooper63 is removed the bumper for his parking sensor install (while the rest of us had dealer install). The video in this thread goes by fast, but maybe you can see what you're looking for OR get firsthand info from AMCooper63's recollection.
ok.. more notes...
-looks pretty cool without the bumper on it. someone should do a body kit style revision...

-I was thinking that I would like to paint/ dip / or vinyl wrap the chrome on grille too. Anyone have details on the removal of that stuff? Likely easier to remove the center chrome piece with bumper off, looks simple. but removal of chome off of headlights not so much. I think I read that they snap on/off but I am chicken.

-but yeah, looks like horn is easy peazy w/o bumper. Too bad grille is so interconnected with bumper, might as well all be one piece.

Might get after this horn thing next weekend (or get windows tinted) no rush I guess.

Video is not informative on how to remove, suspect just snap clips all around, but seeing it off of car helped (thanks). ebay has a bunch of front end pieces for sale including foglights that show those connections but not sure on foglight mounting. Is the garnish different?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don’t know if it will work but maybe look into putting and accord horn on it. I had a 2011 fit and I hated my horn, I installed one from a 9th gen accord and it was plug and play.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
A better horn! This one sounds like a clown car. meep meep. :surprise:
I wonder if other Honda vehicles share the same horn. From what I have read, the Clarity has the same horn.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A better horn! This one sounds like a clown car. meep meep. :surprise:
Absolutely HATE the horn. Has no authority whatsoever and I’ve already had to use it a few times, with little effect. It’s so bad, I’ll probably replace it at some point, even if I have to remove the bumper.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts