Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was looking through the head unit and seen an install app apk feature. Was wondering if anyone had any luck installing apps like Netflix and prime video.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
I would love for someone to write an app that will allow us to display all the Insight gauge goodies available via ODB like engine temps, rpm, etc. The data is in the care, it just needs to be brought out! I'd pay money for that app. Other APK stuff would be an issue if it required broadband. I'd think adding that functionality to CarPlay or AA would be the test realm.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I would love for someone to write an app that will allow us to display all the Insight gauge goodies available via ODB like engine temps, rpm, etc. The data is in the care, it just needs to be brought out! I'd pay money for that app. Other APK stuff would be an issue if it required broadband. I'd think adding that functionality to CarPlay or AA would be the test realm.
I came across this where someone did it on a Civic. https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/75so7z/got_realtime_odbii_displaying_in_my_cars/

·
Registered
49 Posts
recommended third-party apps for Infotainment system?

Hi everyone,

There's an app installer included in the Infotainment system that can install apps included on a USB key.

These would have to be Android apps, correct?

Are there any apps that you have found particularly useful?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I came across this where someone did it on a Civic. https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/75so7z/got_realtime_odbii_displaying_in_my_cars/
I'm pretty sure this is on the last system before the newer design that came out on the 2018 accord and 2019 insight. I haven't found any hacks that root this system yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I got carbridge to work in the Insight. I can pretty much use the infotainment screen like an iPad. :eek: Order food, pay for gas, stream video, browse the web, etc... Since I'm doing this with a 5s it's kind of glitchy but useable. Ideally I would use an iPhone with 2GB of ram like the 7 but my 7 is currently on iOS 13 which isn't compatible with carbridge yet(Dev is rebuilding carbridge from the ground up for iOS 13).

Here's me streaming youtube with one of @Verdier 's Insight videos and a digital speedometer app.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
I got carbridge to work in the Insight. I can pretty much use the infotainment screen like an iPad. :eek: Order food, pay for gas, stream video, browse the web, etc... Since I'm doing this with a 5s it's kind of glitchy but useable. Ideally I would use an iPhone with 2GB of ram like the 7 but my 7 is currently on iOS 13 which isn't compatible with carbridge yet(Dev is rebuilding carbridge from the ground up for iOS 13).
Very cool, thanks for sharing. With this, you can practically live in your car... order food, access the internet, log-in to forum... what more would anyone need? :)

Can you only use one iPhone at a time? Like if you wanted CarPlay navigation, you can you only use the 5S for that... or switch phones?

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Very cool, thanks for sharing. With this, you can practically live in your car... order food, access the internet, log-in to forum... what more would anyone need? :)

Can you only use one iPhone at a time? Like if you wanted CarPlay navigation, you can you only use the 5S for that... or switch phones?
I can use Carbridge for CarPlay navigation via Waze, Google Maps, including other map apps that don't support CarPlay like Here maps. Carbridge is CarPlay but with the app restrictions Apple put in place removed. Carbridge works in all jailbreak iPhones on iOS12 with iOS13 support currently in development.

The Insight will still accept other iPhones for CarPlay. No modifications are done to the car just the iPhone itself.

You can play any iOS game(mario kart, call of duty, fortnite, etc) with an Xbox/Playstation controller, too. I didn't test it due to the 5s not being powerful enough.
https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/e4f3dk/discussion_carbridge_ncontrol_quality_passenger/

The only limitation I've read are apps like Netflix which have DRM protection that prevents video from being shown in CarPlay.

OpenPilot + Carbridge could be a game changer for my Insight in the future. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
I can use Carbridge for CarPlay navigation via Waze, Google Maps, including other map apps that don't support CarPlay like Here maps. Carbridge is CarPlay but with the app restrictions Apple put in place removed. Carbridge works in all jailbreak iPhones on iOS12 with iOS13 support currently in development.
To clarify my question, do you only plan to use the jailbroken phone with Carbridge from here on out? If you plug both your jailbroken and 'normal' iPhone into the USB ports, can you toggle between the two or does the car recognize just one or the other?

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
To clarify my question, do you only plan to use the jailbroken phone with Carbridge from here on out? If you plug both your jailbroken and 'normal' iPhone into the USB ports, can you toggle between the two or does the car recognize just one or the other?
I'm not sure what would happen if I plugged in 2 iPhones at once. I would assume it will react similar to if you plug in 2 regular iPhones to the Insight. Where the last or first iPhone plugged in gets CarPlay access?

It's still an ancient iPhone 5s so kind of slow to make it my primary phone. I'm probably going to play around with it from time to time. Looking forward to Carbridge with iOS 13 support which I can use with a newer iPhone.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
The dev for Carbridge got the portal app(it mirrors your phone) working for CarPlay in iOS 13 while he continues work on full Carbridge support.

IMG_0521.jpg IMG_0523.png IMG_0529.png IMG_0535.png IMG_0537.png

Just a heads up: Don't jailbreak on your primary device. You might experience more random CarPlay disconnects and some apps will not work if your iPhone is jailbroken unless you find a tweak to hide the jailbreak.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts