Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know our cars aren't the fastest cars (But they are one of the quicker hybrids) or even built for that, but has anyone had the joy of showing someone up in their Insight?? I am reverting to my teenage/twenty something mentality for this question, just curious.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've noticed stares from pedestrians and drivers in slow traffic with their windows open.. possibly at the high-tech pedestrian alert noise.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
I know our cars aren't the fastest cars (But they are one of the quicker hybrids) or even built for that, but has anyone had the joy of showing someone up in their Insight?? I am reverting to my teenage/twenty something mentality for this question, just curious.
Yep, especially from 0-30mph due to the 197 lb-ft of torque once the traffic light turns green.

Reactions: Mobilcams

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Yep, especially from 0-30mph due to the 197 lb-ft of torque once the traffic light turns green.
Same! The low end electric torque is surprising. Beat a 6-cylinder SUV from a full stop ater red light and just before the lanes merged 1/2 mile ahead. I expected the revving SUV to pull ahead, and was shocked to check my mirrors and see how far ahead I was, with the SUV racing to keep up...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Same! The low end electric torque is surprising. Beat a 6-cylinder SUV from a full stop ater red light and just before the lanes merged 1/2 mile ahead. I expected the revving SUV to pull ahead, and was shocked to check my mirrors and see how far ahead I was, with the SUV racing to keep up...
Oh boy...this is where I get into trouble. First off, I go out of my way to blow away every Prius I see ahead of me :D just to rub it in. I blew away many others that didn't expect to see this "hybrid" get off the line that fast. And in the occasional "race", I usually win, but then again I have the best radar detectors and laser jammers in my cars, so I don't worry about getting caught. I had a Corvette chicken out after 100 MPH. I'm sure he would have easily had me if he wanted it. But two things are in my favor...instant torque and great handling when weaving through traffic. Add many, many years of road experience at ~45K a year, and you know how to read the road and calculate a path to "victory". :D

But seriously, not may people read the small hybrid badges. I don't even think the Prius owners can read the small Insight badge. I'm convinced no one really knows what this car is. But I do love it when the Audi's, Jags and Benzes try and get ahead of me. Access DENIED! Get back in line behind me, chumps! :D

Phil

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
Oh boy...this is where I get into trouble. First off, I go out of my way to blow away every Prius I see ahead of me :D just to rub it in. I blew away many others that didn't expect to see this "hybrid" get off the line that fast. And in the occasional "race", I usually win, but then again I have the best radar detectors and laser jammers in my cars, so I don't worry about getting caught. I had a Corvette chicken out after 100 MPH. I'm sure he would have easily had me if he wanted it. But two things are in my favor...instant torque and great handling when weaving through traffic. Add many, many years of road experience at ~45K a year, and you know how to read the road and calculate a path to "victory". :D

But seriously, not may people read the small hybrid badges. I don't even think the Prius owners can read the small Insight badge. I'm convinced no one really knows what this car is. But I do love it when the Audi's, Jags and Benzes try and get ahead of me. Access DENIED! Get back in line behind me, chumps! :D

Phil
I agree with you that many people probably think you're driving just a regular Honda instead of a fuel efficient hybrid.

P.S. I had a Lambo last Saturday follow me a few times as it was trying to weave around to the faster lane.

Attachments

Reactions: PHILBERT

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with you that many people probably think you're driving just a regular Honda instead of a fuel efficient hybrid.

P.S. I had a Lambo last Saturday follow me a few times as it was trying to weave around to the faster lane.
Yeah, it's not just another modern looking car, which I'm definitely seeing that trend with Malibu's, Altama's, Optima's and other sporty looking gas guzzlers. No one knows our high MPG secret. But I do my part at gas stations to surprise others with the lack of engine noise.

Lambo, huh? I'm seeing a big increase of Tesla's on the road. Most are Model 3's, and that car just looks so weird to me. I'm not attracted to that model at all, but it has become a bragging right in NNJ and Westchester. They seem to be oblivious to any other car on the road. Snooty..."Look, I have a Tesla". Sorry, but I think your Tesla is ugly! :D Not that all of them are ugly. I like the Model S. But the trend to quiet electric cars is making the loud gas guzzlers look "outdated". I just laugh at those loud Mustangs that make so much noise and hardly move ahead at all. I just "sail" by those. :D

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts