Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in the world is going on with the metal supports here? I am almost at 70,000 miles and at one point I thought that maybe they were just dirty (before I was even out of warranty I should clarify).. I tried to clean it but now I have noticed it is actually rust. My car is garaged etc.. I do live in Florida, but the humidity inside the car stays around 40-60 percent (I have a meter in my car).. Does anyone have any suggestions - similar
issues?? It's happening on all four posts. I know you can see fingerprints in this one but seriously?? I have never had a car do this before.. Even my old Civic didn't have this issue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looks like some surface pitting to me. The only harm being done is aesthetic. About all you can do is have it cleaned up and chromed. Paint would just wear off if you are moving the headrest. If it is going to stay at the same height, paint away or maybe throw some heat shrink over it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,470 Posts
I saw a similar post on Facebook relating to the same issue. I just ran out to the garage to check mine. Only the driver's side is raised enough that the posts show. They are clear of rust but look like they could use a good buffing. I raised the passenger side to check, and it is nice and shiny. My Insight was built in 7/18 and is garage kept in NJ.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Where in Florida are you located? I ask because I used to work for a company headquartered in Plantation that used to send out their electronic cabinetry to a pace in Northern Florida because they could never get a good metal finish in the local area. I wonder if it might have to do with ocean salt dissolved in that warm humid air that condenses in your cool garage overnight. Perhaps some car wax on those posts might slow down the corrosion.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where in Florida are you located? I ask because I used to work for a company headquartered in Plantation that used to send out their electronic cabinetry to a pace in Northern Florida because they could never get a good metal finish in the local area. I wonder if it might have to do with ocean salt dissolved in that warm humid air that condenses in your cool garage overnight. Perhaps some car wax on those posts might slow down the corrosion.
I live in Bradenton about 10 miles from the ocean. BUT I do work about a mile away from the ocean. Still - all my co-workers cars look fine.. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts