Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to purchase a 2020 Insight Touring. The only feature I'm going to miss from my current vehicle is the heated steering wheel. Has anyone tried swapping the heated steering wheel that is available as an option for the Accord? I searched the forum and found a couple mentions of it, but not where anyone has actually done the swap.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
You're right - it's just been mentioned/suggested in a few places, but haven't seen anyone report on completion.
There's brief mention in the following reddit thread that someone made the swap. And a Honda parts/service manager commented that everything (wiring, relay, switch) should be included in the heated steering wheel kit.
The part number from the 2018-2020 Accord is # 08U97-TVA-110A and runs ~$300 with tax.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You're right - it's just been mentioned/suggested in a few places, but haven't seen anyone report on completion.
There's brief mention in the following reddit thread that someone made the swap. And a Honda parts/service manager commented that everything (wiring, relay, switch) should be included in the heated steering wheel kit.
The part number from the 2018-2020 Accord is # 08U97-TVA-110A and runs ~$300 with tax.
Be very careful about this. I looked into it for my touring, and while all the parts fit, Adam looked at the final hookup and said it might not work properly since there are several data line hookups. The concern he has is the fact the insight bcm may not have heated steering programming in it and the wheel may not switch heat on and off appropriately without causing the possibility of an overheat. The fact that the insight doesn't even offer heated steering as an option leads to this concern. Another problem is the cost of the parts isn't worth the chance it won't work since once you open them Honda won't take them back. If anyone here does try it and it works please let me know since I would do this upgrade for my cold diabetic hands. The wheel and the parts are just too expensive of a gamble considering the diagram shows it may not work properly without coding in the BCM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those links. Those are the ones I had found while searching, including the reddit link. I may have to give it a try when I get my Insight. I'll report back if I do.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks for those links. Those are the ones I had found while searching, including the reddit link. I may have to give it a try when I get my Insight. I'll report back if I do.
I will be interested to see if the BCM works with the heated steering wheel. Please report back. I'm assuming the parts you guys are referring to are the Honda Accord heated steering wheel with necessary parts. It's identical to the insight's except for the heat obviously.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a Facebook posting where someone did the installation and it worked just fine. I've ordered the wheel so I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Did they remove the HUD button? I thought the Accord one had one of those.
I haven't received my wheel yet. But from reading the instructions on the College Hills Honda website, it seems that the wheel won't come with controls and that you transfer them from your existing wheel.

Here are the installation instructions.

My wheel is scheduled to arrive on Friday. I'll upload a picture after it arrives.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Did they remove the HUD button? I thought the Accord one had one of those.
Only the Accord Touring trim has the head up display, so only that steering wheel part gets the extra HUD display control buttons. All other Accord trims have the 'standard' controls, which resemble those on the Insight.

Accord Touring right side buttons (w/ HUD control) = part # 36770-TVA-A21
Accord (all other) right side buttons (w/ standard controls) = part # 36770-TVA-A11

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The steering wheel arrived today. It does not have any of the controls or the paddles. They all need to be transferred from your existing wheel. The only control it comes with is the button to turn on the heated wheel. That button will reside at the bottom of the wheel between the two spokes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just picked my car up. The heated wheel works great. It doesn't get quite as warm as the one in my Jeep Grand Cherokee did but it still feels nice. It is about 50 degrees here right now so it might feel even warmer when the weather is colder.

I drove for about 30 minutes after getting the car and the heat stayed on the entire time. I'm not sure if it turns off eventually like the heated seats do. It does turn off when you turn off the ignition and does not come on automatically. It also does not come on with the remote start. I would estimate it takes about 30 seconds to start feeling the heat when you do turn it on. As you can see by the picture, there is an indicator light that shows when the heat is on.

Overall I am extremely happy. I ended up paying $288 for the wheel and $199 for the install. I would absolutely do it again and would recommend it to anyone. I wonder why Honda doesn't offer it as an official accessory. From reading the instructions, it seems to be pretty plug and play. The dealership did not have any issues with the installation.

Good luck if you go forward with this. I think you will all be very happy with this one.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Overall I am extremely happy. I ended up paying $288 for the wheel and $199 for the install. I would absolutely do it again and would recommend it to anyone. I wonder why Honda doesn't offer it as an official accessory. From reading the instructions, it seems to be pretty plug and play. The dealership did not have any issues with the installation.
Was the part ordered thru the dealership? If not, a bit surprising, as dealers usually won't install parts that they haven't sourced. How long did it take for the dealer to install? Seems like maybe just over 1 hour, based on the install pricing.

Could you also share the specific part number that you ordered and had success with, per Verdier's previous suggestion?

From comments in the Accord forum, it sounds like the on/off control is by driver (not automatic off) and having the steering wheel heat during remote start is possible - Accord forum - heated steering wheel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was the part ordered thru the dealership? If not, a bit surprising, as dealers usually won't install parts that they haven't sourced. How long did it take for the dealer to install? Seems like maybe just over 1 hour, based on the install pricing.

Could you also share the specific part number that you ordered and had success with, per Verdier's previous suggestion?

From comments in the Accord forum, it sounds like the on/off control is by driver (not automatic off) and having the steering wheel heat during remote start is possible - Accord forum - heated steering wheel
This was the part number I ordered. No other parts were required. Make sure the part number has the "A" at the end. That indicates that it has paddles. The wheel without the "A" is for wheels without paddles.

08U97-TVA-110A

I ordered the wheel from College Hills Honda. It did save me about $100. But it might be best to check with your dealership before ordering the wheel in case they have an issue with installing it. They said they could not warranty the wheel itself since they did not provide it. That is understandable. It is under warranty from College Hills Honda.

It might be best to check with your dealership first anyway just incase they have an issue with doing the install at all. The wheel is technically for an Accord so they may not want to do it, even though it is all plug and play.

The install seems very straightforward if people want to attempt it on their own. I did not because there are some things that need to be done with the electronics after the battery is reconnected. I am not familiar with those procedures so that's why I had my dealership install it. You can read the installation instructions here. It is the same for the Insight as the Accord.

·
Registered
558 Posts

After talking to Wandatin, and making him the Guinea instead of me, I've ordered this steering wheel as well. Looking forward to getting it installed. Wandatin, they most assuredly can warranty the part since it's a genuine Honda part and as long as you have the receipt for it it should have a 12 month guarantee against any defects. Now, they might be asses and choose not to help you, but then you have the option to complain to Honda and never give them business again. You bought this from a Honda dealership not Joe's Emporium of Cheap Honda Stuff and the dealer that installed it will get full credit from Honda as long as you have a receipt for it. It constantly blows my mind what wankers some of these dealers can be to consumers. I had the problem with my spoiler and it was covered under Honda warranty and my local dealer replaced it once I showed proof of purchase. I'm so happy that I'm lucky enough to have good dealers near me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts