Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2019 Insight EX. I must say that I love this car. I purchased my first Insight new in 2001 and in the nearly 20 years I've been driving it, have clocked 358,000 miles! It is still a great car, but alas it was time for a technology and comfort upgrade. I must say I am enjoying the ability go go full EV mode and Dynamic cruse control.
I was an avid follower over on Insight Central for the old car. I'm looking forward to following here and eventually providing advice to newbies here.

Thank you for letting me join!

Alan

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Super-impressive longevity on your Gen1 Honda. Hope it translates to the Gen3 Honda!

Did you end up selling your Gen1, or do you still own it? What are your impressions of the hybrid 'algorithms' for ICE/EV run time on the Gen3 versus the Gen1?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have it for now. Trying to get it cleaned up and ready for its next owner.

The gen 1 ICE and electric motor are directly connected to each other so there is no EV mode. I have MIMA on it so I can manually control motor assist/regen with a joystick as I drive, which adds some fun.

The gen 1 is much more fuel efficient overall, but is a lot more work to control. It's like a video game, fun for a while, but on any kind of trip it's exhausting. The ride is sporty (harsh), of course I ran 50 psi in the tires to maximize mileage so that didn't help.
I need to check the pressure in the new car and I know it is overly full on oil, so I need get get that sorted out.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this beautiful new design can do!

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
Hmm... how many miles were on the car when you purchased used?

Overly full on oil doesn't sound good. There was a brief thread on that topic, but that was based on thoughts from new/factory fill - gen3insight.com/threads/too-much-oil-from-factory-on-brand-new-2019-insight.3310/

Regarding tire pressures, the following thread includes discussion on experience/ranges. For the Michelin Energy Saver OEM tires on the LX/EX, Honda's recommendation is 35 front / 33 rear, and the LX/EX sidewall limit is 44 psi. @hasarad runs a little higher (40/40) and gets 60+ mpg lifetime average, beating the EPA rating for the car. - gen3insight.com/threads/optimal-tire-pressure.2342/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
22k miles. The old cars sidewall limit was 44 also. Some of the guys were running up to 80! Didn't see much increase in mileage above 50 though. I'll give 40 a try.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,300 Posts
I have run 40 since new (34K miles). No issues with abnormal treadwear, etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have run 40 since new (34K miles). No issues with abnormal treadwear, etc.
I know you're supposed to check your tires when cold, as they heat up while driving.
So if you are running 40 psi cold, they may be 44 psi after highway driving.
Just thought I'ld mention that is someone read and thought may as well fill to the max 44psi when cold.
One other thing is traction in winter. As you increase the pressure, you are decreasing the square inches of contact between the rubber and road. So may be safer if you don't have winter tires to drop a few psi in the winter months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know you're supposed to check your tires when cold, as they heat up while driving.
So if you are running 40 psi cold, they may be 44 psi after highway driving.
Just thought I'ld mention that is someone read and thought may as well fill to the max 44psi when cold.
One other thing is traction in winter. As you increase the pressure, you are decreasing the square inches of contact between the rubber and road. So may be safer if you don't have winter tires to drop a few psi in the winter months.
I've run anywhere from 35 to 50 year around on the Gen 1 without issues. It is worth noting that the Gen 1 is the worst car I've ever driven in snow or on gravel surfaces. The Gen 3 is going to be awesome with the stability control and "normal" tires. I can already tell an immense difference on the gravel roads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts