Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the driveway: 2 week old 2020 Platinum White Pearl Base Model for Canada (seems somewhat equivalent to the US EX model).

So far all good. First 3 tanks averaging 5.2l/100km (ie 45 mpg US)

Thanks for the great resource here for learning about the car!

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
In the driveway: 2 week old 2020 Platinum White Pearl Base Model for Canada (seems somewhat equivalent to the US EX model).

So far all good. First 3 tanks averaging 5.2l/100km (ie 45 mpg US)

Thanks for the great resource here for learning about the car!
  • Windshield washer fluid sensor
  • Bigger windshield washer fluid tank
  • Rear heated seats (Touring trim)
  • Mudflaps for the front wheels
  • The ability to shut off the pedestrian warning sound
  • 17" alloy wheel standard
^You guys get some extra stuff that we don't get here in the US. ;) Congrats on your new Insight and welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What car(s) did you previously drive? Is this your first hybrid? What are your impressions of the Insight in Canadian climate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  • Windshield washer fluid sensor
  • Bigger windshield washer fluid tank
  • Rear heated seats (Touring trim)
  • Mudflaps for the front wheels
  • The ability to shut off the pedestrian warning sound
  • 17" alloy wheel standard
^You guys get some extra stuff that we don't get here in the US. ;) Congrats on your new Insight and welcome to the forum!
https://www.honda.ca/Content/honda.ca/07fe3ee8-fb04-4ea0-bbe0-84174bbd8605/ModelPage_Downloads/20MY_SPECS-INSIGHT.pdf

Thanks for that detail.
This is the option list of the two models we can get here in Canada. The base model is white or steel gray. White cost $300 CAD extra!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice to see another Canadian Insight owner. I am 11 months in to my Touring and still haven't seen another one on the road. Everything costs extra in Canada which you already know I'm sure. Case in point--we get the front mud flaps as standard but if you want the back ones it is an extra $136.60 plus tax for a total of $154.35. Buy a set (all 4 ) in the US and it will set you back $75.60 US.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum! What car(s) did you previously drive? Is this your first hybrid? What are your impressions of the Insight in Canadian climate?
My previous was a 1995 Toyota Previa. But we lived in Asia 1997-2020 and haven’t owned a vehicle until now.

Yes first hybrid.
Impressions, so far: better than expected.
When researching I found some reviewers use hyperbole like “spelunking” to get into the driver’s seat, engine screaming like a “banshee”, needing chiropractic treatment due to lack of lumbar adjustment etc. Such hyperbole doesn’t help to get a realistic picture of the car’s pro’s and con’s.
Also complaints about the button shifter, not made to go up hills et al did not inspire confidence.
In the end I found owner’s reviews to be the most helpful, just need to filter the “proud poppa” sentiment.

Low front seat: Not that bad. Not sure what this is about. It is height adjustable. I’m 6’1” and perfectly comfortable. Wife is 5’2” and appreciates the front of the cushion can be adjusted up/down.
Lumbar support: not adjustable but it is there. Far better lumbar and comfort level than an 11 hr flight on Cathay in economy.
Button shifter: easy to use and find the right button. R is indented, P is at the top, D is the big flat one. Easy to learn.
Noisy engine on hills: we have big hills here. Have yet to drive the Coquihalla but this seems to be exaggerated for the driving I do. Engine revs like I would expect. No passengers have commented on anything unusual about engine noise when going up steep hills. No lack of power.

The only nit I would pick in these early days is that the HondaLink app is a little flaky. Doesn’t always reflect accurately the odometer and fuel level readings. Also gave me 2 false brake system alerts, until I restarted the app. Still trying to figure out how to use the parking reminder and parking meter timer function.

It’s a little frosty in the mornings but my wife feels the cold is totally mitigated by the (almost) instant-on heated seats.
Very happy with the fuel economy so far.

Very happy overall. Future impressions are another thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice to see another Canadian Insight owner. I am 11 months in to my Touring and still haven't seen another one on the road. Everything costs extra in Canada which you already know I'm sure. Case in point--we get the front mud flaps as standard but if you want the back ones it is an extra $136.60 plus tax for a total of $154.35. Buy a set (all 4 ) in the US and it will set you back $75.60 US.
Just returned to Canada after 20+ years away; nothings changed in that regard.
You’ve made me aware that I haven’t (yet) seen any other Insights on the road. Strange that when I bought it I was told that if I didn’t buy this one I’d need to wait another 2 months for another.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
You’ve made me aware that I haven’t (yet) seen any other Insights on the road. Strange that when I bought it I was told that if I didn’t buy this one I’d need to wait another 2 months for another.
Honda doesn't send a lot of Insights to Canada. I estimate less than 1,000 a year because they sold around 227 of them during the first 6 months of the 3rd gen Insight launch. I assume it has to do with batteries not working as efficiently in the frigid cold so hybrids don't sell as well in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
True from an inventory standpoint. Global Insight production occurs at a single US plant (Greensburg, IN) in various formats, then exports to Mexico, Japan, Canada.

Only 980 total Insights have sold in Canada between June 2018 and Dec 2019, comprising ~1.7% of the global market. More Insights sell in Mexico (2.3%), Japan (17%), and the US (79%) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/21424-post5.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts