Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings hybrid enthusiasts!

I have a White Pearl Orchid on Ivory 2019 Honda Insight Touring. I also have a 2007 Camry Hybrid at around $115k miles and is still driving well. (But it is showing its age)

We (My girlfriend and I) were debating between this and a Lexus UX Hybrid. The Lexus UX Hybrid ($38k MSRP) had a bigger engine and works rather conventionally as opposed to the Insight's dual-motor technology. We made the decision on the Honda Insight because the Lexus's $10k premium does not justify its benefits.
The Lexus has AWD with a light-voltage electric motor driving the rear wheels, and it may have a quieter ride on the freeway. However, the Insight has far better interior, trunk space, and infotainment system. Not to mention, the Insight beat the UXh on IIHS Top Safety Pick+ on its amazing headlights.

So far, I have nothing but compliments about the Honda Insight. The car's gas tank lasts a whole month, and the ride handling is excellent for a sub-$30k sedan. My favorite thing about this car is its soft hybrid noise while driving slow.

I switched the interior lights, trunk lights and reverse lights to LEDs thanks to the great information provided in this forum. I will be posting any upgrades/accessories installed on this car, and I am looking forward to chatting with this great community.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Congratulations on the Insight, and Welcome to the forum!!!

Reactions: lauko

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Welcome to the party pal! Congratulations on your new Insight! OWP is a popular color, although it was discontinued in 2020. I'm surprised there are still '19 Insight on dealer lots. I hope you got a good deal since the '20s have been out for a while now. I did the interior, trunk and reverse LEDs as well. This forum has been a wealth of information. If you are so inclined, sign up a fuelly.com (free) and add the badge to your signature. I'd bet anything the Insight would blow away the Lexus in terms of MPG stats.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations on the Insight, and Welcome to the forum!!!
Thank you!

Welcome to the party pal! Congratulations on your new Insight! OWP is a popular color, although it was discontinued in 2020. I'm surprised there are still '19 Insight on dealer lots. I hope you got a good deal since the '20s have been out for a while now. I did the interior, trunk and reverse LEDs as well. This forum has been a wealth of information. If you are so inclined, sign up a fuelly.com (free) and add the badge to your signature. I'd bet anything the Insight would blow away the Lexus in terms of MPG stats.
Thanks! And yes, the Lexus only gets about 41 mpg on freeway.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Lexus is overcharging for that UX at $38k when the Mazda CX-3's top trim w/AWD at $27k looks comparable or even better in my eyes. :p Congrats on saving $10k along with future savings at the pump! :wink:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Would be interested in your observations on how you think the Insight's hybrid system performs versus the Camry Hybrid. Do you need to adjust your driving style at all, or are the two cars/systems similar?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lexus is overcharging for that UX at $38k when the Mazda CX-3's top trim w/AWD at $27k looks comparable or even better in my eyes. :p Congrats on saving $10k along with future savings at the pump! :wink:
Yeah, and not to mention insurance too!

Welcome to the forum! Would be interested in your observations on how you think the Insight's hybrid system performs versus the Camry Hybrid. Do you need to adjust your driving style at all, or are the two cars/systems similar?
Thank you, yes I am happy to share my experience between 07 Camry Hybrid and the Insight.

Driving experience: Right off the bat, I feel the weight savings of the Insight in acceleration, braking, cornering. The Camry felt boat-like and has slower throttle response. However, on the freeway, the Camry felt more sturdy and the extra weight really help feel like I am gliding down the road. I am currently getting about 36 mpg combined for the Camry which is pretty good for a 12 year old sedan.

The systems between the Camry and Insight are vastly different. The Camry uses its engine and CVT 90% of the time, and only goes into EV mode at parking lot speeds. The acceleration of the Camry can be annoyingly slow, due to its conservative throttle response, and transmission refusing to stay at a "lower gear".
However, the Insight's 2-motor setup, higher capacity battery & electric motor results in quicker acceleration. I am truly impressed by the amount of torque it provides.

While stationary, it is safe to say that I am immune to hybrid vehicle engine start vibration. (You know, the sudden jolt you feel on the brake pedal when the engine fires up.) I find myself not feeling the Insight's engine start-up at most times. This is some excellent refinement for a vehicle that's not in the Luxury segment.
I have driven the Lexus LS 500h and LC 500h during my previous employment and I felt that they have a rather noticeable engine-start jolt. This may also be due to the Insight's smaller engine and it being disconnected from the wheels at a stand-still.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome Bryan!! I am also from the Bay Area and actually purchased my 2019 Insight Touring a few months ago from Victory Honda Morgan Hill. I called many dealerships around San Jose and found the best deal in Morgan Hill for $28.6k out the door. How was your purchasing experience and which dealership did you end up going to? Hope you enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Bryan!! I am also from the Bay Area and actually purchased my 2019 Insight Touring a few months ago from Victory Honda Morgan Hill. I called many dealerships around San Jose and found the best deal in Morgan Hill for $28.6k out the door. How was your purchasing experience and which dealership did you end up going to? Hope you enjoy the new ride!
Hello and thank you! Wow you got a great deal! I got mine in September from Honda of Stevens Creek for $29k out the door. I'm pretty satisfied with the price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts