Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had extensively driven a 2010 Insight, and it was very uncomfortable to drive. I bought my '21 EX just back in February and overall I love it! There are a couple of little quirks, but overall I am very pleased.

• Had to get the windows tinted.
  • Bought some all weather floor mats and trunk tray.
  • Really want to swap out the arm rests from cloth to leather. Cloth armrests just get gross with dead skin and oils.

A design quirk that aggravates me is that the curvature on the sides causes water beading on the roof over the doors, back doors particularly, causes water to drip onto the seat.

The positioning of the center vents and the infotainment display is kinda goofy. If you want the vent to blow on you, a not insubstantial amount of the air gets lost behind the screen.

Likely will post a question thread, but the AC seems a little quirky. The "Mode" doesn't seem to act like 29 years of driving has taught me to expect. I don't know if it's normal or a problem. In every other car I have owned, when I tell it to send the air to the floor, it goes to the floor. In my Insight, at least, I put it to the floor, some goes down there, but the side vents still blow a lot and there's even noticeable flow to the front defrost vent.

Unless I find out from you all that this is just how it is, I will take her to the dealership in the near future.

Anyway, glad to see this page, since the Facebook groups I found seem to be dominated by Gen 1 and Gen 2 fans.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
The "Mode" doesn't seem to act like 29 years of driving has taught me to expect. I don't know if it's normal or a problem. In every other car I have owned, when I tell it to send the air to the floor, it goes to the floor. In my Insight, at least, I put it to the floor, some goes down there, but the side vents still blow a lot and there's even noticeable flow to the front defrost vent.
Welcome!

The air direction in the Insight matches every other Honda I've owned. The side dash vents are always active. The blend door only switches between top dash defrost (not side defrost), center vents and floor. If you think about it, those are the only vents that do not have manual controls. The side vents have a manual email/bacon knob.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A design quirk that aggravates me is that the curvature on the sides causes water beading on the roof over the doors, back doors particularly, causes water to drip onto the seat.
Can you explain this a bit more? I don't have the car yet, so I don't have the frame of reference. Are you saying the water accumulates in the rear upper door rail (jamb?) so that when you open it, it spills onto the seats? Does this happen if you don't open the rear door?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you explain this a bit more? I don't have the car yet, so I don't have the frame of reference. Are you saying the water accumulates in the rear upper door rail (jamb?) so that when you open it, it spills onto the seats? Does this happen if you don't open the rear door?
Not really accumulates. It's a new car with a nice wax job on it right now, so water can bead up into some nice, weighty beads on the surface. Part of the car's aerodynamic design has it narrowing from bottom to top. So water that forms large, heavy beads because it's kept nicely waxed can give in to gravity and roll down the metal toward the ground. Because of the in-sweeping structure, if your door happens to be open when gravity wins, "down" is directly onto the seat from the spot the arrow is pointing to. The design also has the upper part of the car get narrower as you go back, so this is much more of an issue with the back doors. Some sort of small "gutters" along the windows to guide water back instead of down would have been nice given the angling in.

So, basically if you come out after some rain to some big, beautiful hydrophobic wax caused beads of water covering your car and open your door without wiping them off of that part of the roof, you may get a big drop of water or three falling directly onto your seats, which over time isn't great, especially if like me, you have cloth seats.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got it. Thanks for the excellent response. I couldn't tell if it was a manufacturing defect/oversight that happened even if the door was never opened, or like you just explained.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Part of the car's aerodynamic design has it narrowing from bottom to top. So water that forms large, heavy beads because it's kept nicely waxed can give in to gravity and roll down the metal toward the ground. Because of the in-sweeping structure, if your door happens to be open when gravity wins, "down" is directly onto the seat from the spot the arrow is pointing to. The design also has the upper part of the car get narrower as you go back, so this is much more of an issue with the back doors. Some sort of small "gutters" along the windows to guide water back instead of down would have been nice given the angling in.
So true, great description! Sadly, not much we can do about it. But we have threads going to commiserate/lament on this dripping topic and ancillary topic of rear debris collection points, LOL.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not really accumulates. It's a new car with a nice wax job on it right now, so water can bead up into some nice, weighty beads on the surface. Part of the car's aerodynamic design has it narrowing from bottom to top. So water that forms large, heavy beads because it's kept nicely waxed can give in to gravity and roll down the metal toward the ground. Because of the in-sweeping structure, if your door happens to be open when gravity wins, "down" is directly onto the seat from the spot the arrow is pointing to. The design also has the upper part of the car get narrower as you go back, so this is much more of an issue with the back doors. Some sort of small "gutters" along the windows to guide water back instead of down would have been nice given the angling in.

So, basically if you come out after some rain to some big, beautiful hydrophobic wax caused beads of water covering your car and open your door without wiping them off of that part of the roof, you may get a big drop of water or three falling directly onto your seats, which over time isn't great, especially if like me, you have cloth seats.
I hadn't noticed this issue, but then again I rarely use the back doors. On the other hand I have the door visors option that covers the upper part of the of the door window glass. Perhaps they function similar to the gutter along the window suggested above? If so it's a low cost option, at the dealer, and an easy glue-on install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts