Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had the Insight for 2 months now... enjoying the cost at the pump!!

A little history, started with Honda's in 1991 owning a 1987 Accord - Best bullet proof honda to date. 14 yrs and 280,000 miles and still running, albeit with out doors !! well the door would almost drop 2 inches if you opened the drivers door due to rust on the columns. Several used hondas later went new in 2005 with a Honda Ridgeline. Killed the truck in July hence the new Insight. The truck had 275,000 miles, plugged cat caused its demise.

2007 picked up a Civic for the wife, Killed that one at 275,000 miles as well, without changing the belts the H2O pump gave out on it and overheated. With the civic having a chain instead of belt, the internals did not get the maintenance needed. ie water pump and tensioners that go along with belt replacements.

Job change last year increased my commute to 100 per day, thus the purchase of the insight. My savings on gas are just about making my car payment!! Although the Ridgeline was a beast in winter, never got stuck, and never visited any ditches!! On blizzard days I hope to steal the wifes suby...

I know the Insight is not exactly a Chic magnet... but I definetly say it is a Critter Magnet!! Front black valance costs 100 - ie Racoon. Front drivers light costs just under 900 - ie deer Slammed the brakes on and just bumped him - no visual damge. The front end of the Civic seems to have quite a bit of give... as the back of the light pushed into something and cracked the back of the light box. (yes it is one big box). Oh and the passenger side mirror costs $770 very brittle plastic, just bumped it into the door frame of the garage!!

:smile:

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Thanks for making the introduction, and formal welcome to the forum! Everyone likes seeing the Insight up close... critters included. :wink:

I've only owned Hondas, and they've been good to me as with your experience. Here's hoping for another 200k+ low-maintenance model!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for making the introduction, and formal welcome to the forum! Everyone likes seeing the Insight up close... critters included. :wink:

I've only owned Hondas, and they've been good to me as with your experience. Here's hoping for another 200k+ low-maintenance model!

200K ??? Trying to get over the 300K !!! :grin:

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Although the Ridgeline was a beast in winter, never got stuck, and never visited any ditches!! On blizzard days I hope to steal the wifes suby..
Put some winter tires on the Insight. I wish I could do the same but I have no place to store my all seasons in my apartment. :sad:

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Put some winter tires on the Insight. I wish I could do the same but I have no place to store my all seasons in my apartment. :sad:
A few places came up on google for "Boston snow tire storage." They are older posts/comments, but may be worth re-checking if interested:

Dorchester Tire Service - free storage w/ purchase - https://dorchestertire.com/winter-tires-boston-ma
My Tire Guys (mobile service) - seasonal storage for a fee - https://mytireguys.com/mobile-tire-services/
Direct Tire, Watertown - seasonal storage for a fee - https://www.yelp.com/topic/boston-winter-summer-tire-storage
Fahey's Tire, Wakefield - seasonal storage for a fee - https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619501

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome, I'm new too. Glad to see Hondas have lasted that long for you. This is my first one. You seem to really attract those animals. I bet your insurance rep cringes every time you call!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You seem to really attract those animals. I bet your insurance rep cringes every time you call!
Paid out of pocket... by the time the 500 deductible... then the claim... they will add years onto your payment to make up and over.. insurance... great scam!! Then if you do have a serious accident that you would want to report.. they'll drop you like a rock in a pond!

Today's Critter - Bald Eagle.. no didn't hit it... it was up against the barrier wall on the highway having a noon time snack there, kind freaked me out as I was driving in the left lane and go bye it, seeing it just standing there snacking, only feet off the highway!

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Paid out of pocket... by the time the 500 deductible... then the claim... they will add years onto your payment to make up and over.. insurance... great scam!! Then if you do have a serious accident that you would want to report.. they'll drop you like a rock in a pond!
Yep, I'm pretty sure Warren Buffet didn't buy an insurance company(GEICO) to lose money. File a claim get hit with a surcharge for 5 years even if you were accident free for 10 years. :plain: They have all the rules set up in their favor to minimize losses.

I want to see the automakers offer their own auto insurance with some small benefits like what Honda is doing in the UK. That way at least I feel like I'm getting something in return during the years I'm accident-free.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/insurance.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This A.M. it was a skunk... Almost... for him he luckily turned around back toward the ditch. Missed by inches!

Of other note the maintenance minder alerted for an oil change at 10116 miles. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
This A.M. it was a skunk... Almost... for him he luckily turned around back toward the ditch. Missed by inches!

Of other note the maintenance minder alerted for an oil change at 10116 miles. :smile:
You're right in the ballpark for first oil change mileage. If you can, it's totally DIY-able.

It's not the body damage in hitting a skunk, it's the smell. I garage my car. That would be a bad time. Can you even wash a car with tomato juice?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts