Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attached pictures.
I got a quote from the dealership $300 to repair?

The ("SOP Cover"?) underside plastic under driver-side was slowly ripped off (peeled) by hard snow/ice while driving.
I went to the dealership and they quoted me $300 with parts & labor.

Can't I just duct tape it to the frame?
Any ideas how I can attach it back to the underside frame? The service guy said it's 'felt-fabric' that peeled off?

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
let's be real here. tape won't hold.

its environmental insulation. you know, for decibals and celciuses.

i guess that you will want to remove what's left to prevent it from gathering any more garbage. or just replace it.

it's definitely one of those all or nothing deals. i would just remove the remainder in a tidy fashion.

id be more upset about your jack point there that looks like it was worked over by a dull apprentice

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I attached pictures.
I got a quote from the dealership $300 to repair?

The ("SOP Cover"?) underside plastic under driver-side was slowly ripped off (peeled) by hard snow/ice while driving.

Can't I just duct tape it to the frame?
Any ideas how I can attach it back to the underside frame? The service guy said it's 'felt-fabric' that peeled off?
Yeah, you need to get the bottom cleaned and the cover replaced. You don't want salt trapped under there. Ask for a quote at some of the certified Honda body shops to see if they can beat the dealership price. https://owners.honda.com/collision/profirstbodyshop/

How fast did you hit the hard snow/ice for that cover to rip right off?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to try to use "Gorilla Tape" to the frame. Going to spray wash and clean the underside first, then gorilla tape it. I can't justify paying $300 for felt-under lining replacement.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
How did you notice this issue? Did you start hearing something, or did you happen to see it?

HondaPartsNow sells the SOP cover for ~50% less than dealer price, but ultimate savings would depend on shipping fee. -https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~0~74656-txm-a00.html

There's also a discussion in the Gen1 forum on underbody covers and snow. Corrugated plastic (?) was implemented as a more durable panel solution - https://www.insightcentral.net/threads/underbody-panels-again.118761/#post-1373897

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I'm going to try to use "Gorilla Tape" to the frame. Going to spray wash and clean the underside first, then gorilla tape it. I can't justify paying $300 for felt-under lining replacement.
Were you able to resolve this issue with DIY efforts? How did you notice the issue had started (visual, noise, etc)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts