Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit a raccoon (previously reported) on I70 in Missouri in early January early in the morning, still dark. Just got the repair done today. Fortunately, it was covered under my comprehensive part of my insurance and not the collision. My deductible was only $250. Grand total was $,2,709.32. The insurance company is the Costco Ameriprise one.

I was able to drive it back to Washington after that and have been driving it since. Work included the whole front bumper (due to a puncture and fractures) with rock chip protective coating on it (because I had a $1,500 coating put on the car when I purchased it in late June 2018). The rubber horizontal strip under the front area was replaced as well as the entire plastic shield sheet under the engine. A second radiator (not sure what this is but the insurance guy says it's there) was replaced. Lots was done on the A/C and heater unit.

I'm attaching the work done for your info. Interesting stuff.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
I thought @ronnie hit another raccoon before entering the thread. :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, incredibly strong (iron shell?) raccoon... and pricy fix. Any pictures available of the damage before the repair?

Edit: found them in your separate post in prior thread - Upcoming long trip

What I don't understand is what the collision guy said about repairing (or replacing?) a second radiator. He said the Insight has two radiators, one for the main engine and one for another purpose which he wasn't sure about. What is that second radiator?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
What I don't understand is what the collision guy said about repairing (or replacing?) a second radiator. He said the Insight has two radiators, one for the main engine and one for another purpose which he wasn't sure about. What is that second radiator?
Which line item in your invoice does the "second radiator" correspond to? I only see radiator support, radiator, and (A/C) condenser). Is there another version of the invoice that shows part numbers?

These are two diagrams I found on Honda Parts Now for Gen3 Insight "radiator." The first one is listed under "Electrical / Exhaust / Heater / Fuel > Radiator" and the second one is listed under "Engine > PCU Radiator"

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2019-honda-insight--4dr_ex-ka_cvt/electrical_exhaust_heater_fuel/radiator_toyo.html?Diagram=3476452

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2019-honda-insight--4dr_ex-ka_cvt/engine/pcu_radiator.html?Diagram=3476597

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the confusing part. The rep told me "replaced the second radiator" but I'm not seeing that either. Does the Insight have a second radiator?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
That's the confusing part. The rep told me "replaced the second radiator" but I'm not seeing that either. Does the Insight have a second radiator?
Yes - the second radiator seems hybrid specific. The PCU (power control unit) radiator seems connected to components like the inverter and DC-to-DC converter.

But I still don't see a 'second radiator' listed in the invoice...?

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Just how big was the raccoon you hit???

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I only saw it for a moment, but it seemed bigger than your average raccoon. I probably was going abut 45 mph when I hit it.
From the interwebs:

How big is a full grown raccoon? About 3 feet.
"A full grown adult male will weigh up to 35 pounds and be about 3 feet long from tip of the nose to the end of their tail. Full grown females are slightly smaller. The largest raccoon on record weighed 50 pounds!"

Wowza!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Isn't that the radiator on the driver side behind the fog lights?
You can see it both through the fog light, and from the wheel well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure, but here's the link to the full invoice with details I was emailed by the insurance company. This might be the same as the photo I took.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I'm not sure, but here's the link to the full invoice with details I was emailed by the insurance company. This might be the same as the photo I took.
The radiator (1J010-6L2-A01) and condenser (80100-TXM-A01) part numbers match the components illustrated above:

The radiator support part number (74110-TXM-A00) is listed under "Body / Air Conditioning" along with the condenser part number.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Most likely, what is seen looking through the grill/fog light area is the ac condenser. The ac condenser is always out front of the radiator in order for cooler air to pass through to cool the freon running through the condenser. If the condenser was behind the radiator, the air passing through the radiator first would then be too warm to do any good to cool the freon down and your ac system would cool the inside.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts