Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me introduce myself...I just bought a 2019 Insight about 1 month ago. I have a 110 mile round-trip commute to work 5 days a week, and I wanted to make a more eco-friendly purchase as well, which is why I decided that I wanted to buy a hybrid. I'd actually like to go full electric ultimately, but financially and logistically, I don't think that I can make that a reality for at least another couple of years.

In the meantime, I am liking my Insight so far, but I am having a hard time learning about it. I've done a few searches online, but I mostly come up with reviews, and that's not what I'm looking for, which brings me here to this forum.

I am mostly interested in learning tips on how to best operate my vehicle to achieve maximum fuel economy performance. I did watch a video that I found on here by a gentleman named Verdier, which was quite helpful (thank you, Sir), but I feel there is even more to know. I am actually somewhat surprised that I cannot find anything that is directly published by Honda, like a straight-up instruction manual that explains the best ways to operate for full efficiency. Maybe there is such a thing and I am just not aware?

I'd also like to learn more about how regenerative braking works. I have never heard of that before purchasing this car, and I am using my paddles, but I'm just sort of doing it blindly, so any info on exactly what regenerative braking actually is, and any tips on how to best perform the function would be most welcome.

I am assuming that these questions have been asked on this forum many times, so I apologize for what most likely seems redundant to you all, but what I am hoping for here is that somebody could possibly point me in the right direction for the best threads that cover these items. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to participating in some discussions on here. Have a great day!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thank you for the kind comment on the mediocre video I did on trying to use your paddles and obtaining great fuel efficiency. You're in the right place for this question and some much smarter people will chime in soon to help you out with this question. There are a lot of very clever people here who work very hard to obtain information on how to get the very best fuel mileage out of the insight. Before they hit you with all the info I recommend watching my video "2019 insight where's the gas mileage" video . It will get you started before the supermilers in the forums chime in and let you know the fine points to mileage Nirvana. Welcome to the forum and feel free to contact me anytime for anything. You've come to the right place.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Let me introduce myself...I just bought a 2019 Insight about 1 month ago. I have a 110 mile round-trip commute to work 5 days a week, and I wanted to make a more eco-friendly purchase as well, which is why I decided that I wanted to buy a hybrid. I'd actually like to go full electric ultimately, but financially and logistically, I don't think that I can make that a reality for at least another couple of years.

In the meantime, I am liking my Insight so far, but I am having a hard time learning about it. I've done a few searches online, but I mostly come up with reviews, and that's not what I'm looking for, which brings me here to this forum.

I am mostly interested in learning tips on how to best operate my vehicle to achieve maximum fuel economy performance. I did watch a video that I found on here by a gentleman named Verdier, which was quite helpful (thank you, Sir), but I feel there is even more to know. I am actually somewhat surprised that I cannot find anything that is directly published by Honda, like a straight-up instruction manual that explains the best ways to operate for full efficiency. Maybe there is such a thing and I am just not aware?

I'd also like to learn more about how regenerative braking works. I have never heard of that before purchasing this car, and I am using my paddles, but I'm just sort of doing it blindly, so any info on exactly what regenerative braking actually is, and any tips on how to best perform the function would be most welcome.

I am assuming that these questions have been asked on this forum many times, so I apologize for what most likely seems redundant to you all, but what I am hoping for here is that somebody could possibly point me in the right direction for the best threads that cover these items. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to participating in some discussions on here. Have a great day!
Just want to say congrats on your Insight and welcome to the forum! I'm not a hypermiler but I can provide some basic answers.

1. Usually to get good fuel economy you can put the car in Eco mode, keep the needle within the blue zone indicated on the DII(The digital screen behind the steering wheel on the left of the speedometer), make sure you have at least the factory recommended cold tire pressure, and hope for nice warm weather.
  2. Regenerative braking helps slow your car down, takes that energy to recharge some of the battery, and can help reduce brake pad wear. I personally only use the left paddle to slow my car down and if I need to gain speed again I just push the gas pedal. It's perfect for slowing down to make turns, just before approaching a red light, or going downhill. If you're not comfortable with the paddles, the brake pedal will engage regenerative braking majority of the time, unless you're panic braking.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

This new member thread on 'How to drive my Insight' might be helpful starting material, as it covers a cross-section of topics in one place.

It initially seems overwhelming to transition into a hybrid, especially with the new tech on the Gen3 Insight. But with a little drive time and experience you'll learn the car's nuances. I don't think Honda has ever published any info on "how to drive traditional/gas cars for max fuel economy" so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on Honda for a hybrid instruction manual for fuel efficiency. That info gap is one of the needs that forums like this fill. :)

Shout if you have specific questions, and there's also an "Advanced Search" feature in the forum that enables text searches for 4+ character words/phrases for questions and topics you may have.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome to the club! It's a little bit of a learning curve, but once you learn her she'll get the mileage you're looking for. I just did my second fill up and made huge improvements. My first fill up was at 44.7MPG and today I got got 57.7 MPG....so it's all about learning to drive her.

You've come to the best resource to learn...this forum has tons of great information and material.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts