Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m in Canada, just bought a 2019 insight (just waiting to pick it up)

Any aftermarket support for this car? I have some Acura TL Type-S rims I’m getting re-finished to put on it with some 235/45R17 Continental DWS tires. I know, it will affect the fuel economy but I’m cool with it, compared to the 2006 TSX I was driving before this, this thing is supposed to get 2x-3x better fuel economy.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,622 Posts
Hi and welcome! What type of aftermarket support are you referring to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome! What type of aftermarket support are you referring to?
Any :)

probably some exterior stuff like grill, lights. Or functional stuff like a wireless charger inside. Surprised that Honda never included one.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Any :)

probably some exterior stuff like grill, lights. Or functional stuff like a wireless charger inside. Surprised that Honda never included one.
The wireless charger surprises me as well. The phone placement is perfect for it! My friend just bought a new Hybrid Accord which has wireless CarPlay and charging. I'm not bummed as it's not THAT big of a deal, but would be a nice-to-have. Grill and lights are out there, but the grill update is a JDM option which, at this time, would need to be ordered from overseas. Not sure what I'd change about the lights as the headlights are already crazy-bright. The only non-LED lights on the car are the interior, turn and backup lights.

I'm on my second Gen3 Insight. My son took over my 2019. This is the list of stuff I've done to my new 2021 EX which includes the lighting upgrades:

·
Registered
287 Posts
What color? Welcome to the forum--tell us more about your Insight--how many miles, etc, etc, etc.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put interior LED bulbs in, super inexpensive, easy, and look amazing. Other than that, just window tint and I have nice leatherette seat covers that match the ivory interior pretty well. Not sure if you have touring, or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put interior LED bulbs in, super inexpensive, easy, and look amazing. Other than that, just window tint and I have nice leatherette seat covers that match the ivory interior pretty well. Not sure if you have touring, or not.
View attachment 6841
I really like the covers! Can you please tell me where you got them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really like the covers! Can you please tell me where you got them?

I got mine in Grey to sorta match the Ivory interior. Be prepared for LONG time to receive, comes from China economy ship. Took like at least a month - but well worth it. 2 other seat covers I had tried were less expensive but not a good fit - color matched worse than these, they looked and felt cheap, and they were overall worse quality than these ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I got mine in Grey to sorta match the Ivory interior. Be prepared for LONG time to receive, comes from China economy ship. Took like at least a month - but well worth it. 2 other seat covers I had tried were less expensive but not a good fit - color matched worse than these, they looked and felt cheap, and they were overall worse quality than these ones.
Thanks so much! Already put them in my cart to investigate further. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, got it this week! It’s a 2019 base, 46000km’s looks like it might have been an American car because everything was in miles when I test drove it but the dealer showed me how to swap to km’s, yay. I had my TL Type-S rims restored as well and put them on (they were on my old car) Love that Honda’s all have the same size rims.

I ordered some stuff to start, got some vinyl for the front chrome, going to try and use some glossy vinyl to wrap it, I’m in the process of trying to figure out how to use an accord map light system because it drives me crazy that there is no place to put my sunglasses (And include homelink). The last mod I have planned is putting a trunk handle so I can close the trunk without having to put my hands on a dirty trunk lid.

I also ordered a ceramic coating. There are lots of surface scratches all over the car, this car was not babied but now it will be :) going to give it a full claybar/polish and then ceramic coat. I’ll also have to get a touch up paint marker to clean up some rock chips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wireless charger surprises me as well. The phone placement is perfect for it! My friend just bought a new Hybrid Accord which has wireless CarPlay and charging. I'm not bummed as it's not THAT big of a deal, but would be a nice-to-have. Grill and lights are out there, but the grill update is a JDM option which, at this time, would need to be ordered from overseas. Not sure what I'd change about the lights as the headlights are already crazy-bright. The only non-LED lights on the car are the interior, turn and backup lights.

I'm on my second Gen3 Insight. My son took over my 2019. This is the list of stuff I've done to my new 2021 EX which includes the lighting upgrades:

I saw these wireless CarPlay modules on amazon which look like they would be pretty awesome if they work as advertised looks very crappy china stuff though. I’d like to move the USB port into the console somewhere and plug in one of those units so they are hidden. Anyone tried relocating a car USB (for carplay) before? (Or using a hub or something to move it under the console) I’m surprised the car only has 2 USB ports, I thought there would have been one in the centre console (or even a cigarette lighter) in there.

·
Registered
2020 Insight EX Crimson Pearl
147 Posts
Hey, got it this week! It’s a 2019 base, 46000km’s looks like it might have been an American car because everything was in miles when I test drove it but the dealer showed me how to swap to km’s, yay. I had my TL Type-S rims restored as well and put them on (they were on my old car) Love that Honda’s all have the same size rims.

I ordered some stuff to start, got some vinyl for the front chrome, going to try and use some glossy vinyl to wrap it, I’m in the process of trying to figure out how to use an accord map light system because it drives me crazy that there is no place to put my sunglasses (And include homelink). The last mod I have planned is putting a trunk handle so I can close the trunk without having to put my hands on a dirty trunk lid.

I also ordered a ceramic coating. There are lots of surface scratches all over the car, this car was not babied but now it will be :) going to give it a full claybar/polish and then ceramic coat. I’ll also have to get a touch up paint marker to clean up some rock chips.

View attachment 6845
One option for sunglasses can be found in this thread:
Sunglasses Holder - solutions

I saw these wireless CarPlay modules on amazon which look like they would be pretty awesome if they work as advertised looks very crappy china stuff though. I’d like to move the USB port into the console somewhere and plug in one of those units so they are hidden. Anyone tried relocating a car USB (for carplay) before? (Or using a hub or something to move it under the console) I’m surprised the car only has 2 USB ports, I thought there would have been one in the centre console (or even a cigarette lighter) in there.

There are a couple of threads here about this. A major one is: Wireless Apple CarPlay for Insight

I purchased this Wireless Carplay dongle on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08767RQDB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1EE5VCGDAEB07&th=1
I got this wireless charger along with it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WV1J8QL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what my setup looked like:

I popped off the A/C control panel (it's really easy, just pull) and used USB 2 to connect to the dongle and it fit pretty well in the space behind the control panel.

The reason I used the past tense "looked" is because while it worked well for a while, when I went on a long trip it died and made my screen blank after about 45 minutes of continuous use. I had to pull out the control panel and disconnect the dongle in order for my infortainment system to work again. I left it out for a long while then tried again after the most recent infotainment system update. I also updated the firmware in the dongle. When I tried it again the music I was trying to play through it was very jumpy. I'm not sure this stereo likes the 3rd party wireless dongles very much. I may try again sometime soon but use USB 1 instead of 2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vinyl wrapped the grill today. Turned out great. Used the 2080 series 3m glossy wrap.

also installed a home link module from a Honda Odyssey.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
729 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
also installed a home link module from a Honda Odyssey.
Interested in the Honda Odyssey HomeLink install info. Can you share what you did along with pics?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
For sure, I got one from an Ebay listing, only complaint is that it is a slightly darker grey than the OEM one. I followed a civic thread that was posted on these boards somewhere. Here's the link to the one I used:

DIY OEM Homelink Install - Honda Civic Forum

Mainly I wanted to take pin diagram from there, otherwise I just used a multimeter to determine what each pin did based off of trial an error, I took a small piece of solid wire (some solder would also work) and inserted in each connector and then hooked one end of my multimeter to ground and the other end to the piece of solder with some alligator clips.

The exact unit I got from ebay: keep in mind, this is slightly darker grey than the insight headliner oem colour, it doesn't bother me at all, but if you have OCD, it might :)

Here's my pinout of each connector:
Grey 2-pin for Map light:
PinColourSignal from multimeterPurpose
1Grey+12V with lights onSwitches on with parking lights
2Blue+3V with lights onThis provides a "fade affect" by attaching any ground wire from a light to this. Full brightness will be 9V, (difference from 12 to 3) and as the car fades the light off, it will taper to a higher voltage. It will also be controlled with the dimmer on the dashboard.

3-pin hardness (that is connected to the map light)
Pin #ColourSignal from multimeterPurpose
1Blue12V ConstantAlways available 12V for the factory map lights
2Black0V (ground)Solid chassis ground
3n/an/ano wire connected

5-pin homelink harness
pin#colourpurposeconnected to wire on the insight
1RedVariable ground to illuminate2-pin harness BLUE wire
2BlackGround3-pin harness BLACK wire
3n/anot usednot used
4Grey+12V parking light2-pin harness GREY wire
5Pink+12V constant3-pin harness BLUE wire

hopefully this helps someone out :)

End result:

I also got the door switch as well which I’ll see if I can hookup at some point to go with the map lights from the odyssey. They are twin element bulbs which will allow for the map lights to come on when the door is opened for a bit more light rather than just the middle dome light.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For sure, I got one from an Ebay listing, only complaint is that it is a slightly darker grey than the OEM one. I followed a civic thread that was posted on these boards somewhere. Here's the link to the one I used:

DIY OEM Homelink Install - Honda Civic Forum

Mainly I wanted to take pin diagram from there, otherwise I just used a multimeter to determine what each pin did based off of trial an error, I took a small piece of solid wire (some solder would also work) and inserted in each connector and then hooked one end of my multimeter to ground and the other end to the piece of solder with some alligator clips.

The exact unit I got from ebay: keep in mind, this is slightly darker grey than the insight headliner oem colour, it doesn't bother me at all, but if you have OCD, it might :)
View attachment 6860

Here's my pinout of each connector:
Grey 2-pin for Map light:
PinColourSignal from multimeterPurpose
1Grey+12V with lights onSwitches on with parking lights
2Blue+3V with lights onThis provides a "fade affect" by attaching any ground wire from a light to this. Full brightness will be 9V, (difference from 12 to 3) and as the car fades the light off, it will taper to a higher voltage. It will also be controlled with the dimmer on the dashboard.

3-pin hardness (that is connected to the map light)
Pin #ColourSignal from multimeterPurpose
1Blue12V ConstantAlways available 12V for the factory map lights
2Black0V (ground)Solid chassis ground
3n/an/ano wire connected

5-pin homelink harness
pin#colourpurposeconnected to wire on the insight
1RedVariable ground to illuminate2-pin harness BLUE wire
2BlackGround3-pin harness BLACK wire
3n/anot usednot used
4Grey+12V parking light2-pin harness GREY wire
5Pink+12V constant3-pin harness BLUE wire

hopefully this helps someone out :)

End result:
View attachment 6861
I also got the door switch as well which I’ll see if I can hookup at some point to go with the map lights from the odyssey. They are twin element bulbs which will allow for the map lights to come on when the door is opened for a bit more light rather than just the middle dome light.
I was looking at this one on eBay and I noticed that the microphone only has a small hole behind the grill, but your looks more open. Do you think this would be a problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting observation. This could be different because I used my oem mic (it bolts on) because the harness was different on the odyssey one.

Keep in mind that this will be much darker grey than the one I had. It looks like there are 3 colours of grey and the insight uses the lightest one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Interesting observation. This could be different because I used my oem mic (it bolts on) because the harness was different on the odyssey one.

Keep in mind that this will be much darker grey than the one I had. It looks like there are 3 colours of grey and the insight uses the lightest one.
Yeah, I wasn't really looking to buy this particular listing, I just used it as an example of the few I saw that had that specific design. I don't know what the actual microphone looks like or if it would be hindered by this. I thought maybe since you've had it off and seen it you would have had an idea if it would be good or not.

I think it seems to be like that on the Pilots. I think the Odyssey and Accord ones have the open grill. I definitely would prefer a lighter grey. I'm just in the browsing stage for now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts