Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
That turning the engine off first (button) the electronic shifter automatically places the transmission into park and turns the engine off. Nice! And very handy.:nerd:
i like finding out "hidden" features like that. thanks for posting. my wife's 2006 prius does the same thing but i didn't know the insight did too-- i like saving the step.

another hidden feature (or at least hidden for me) is that i discovered the insight touring's side rearview mirrors have built in defrosters. my civic had them too, but i don't recall ever seeing the feature in either manual.

anyone else discover cool features about their insight that aren't published in the honda manuals?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,302 Posts
i like finding out "hidden" features like that. thanks for posting. my wife's 2006 prius does the same thing but i didn't know the insight did too-- i like saving the step.

another hidden feature (or at least hidden for me) is that i discovered the insight touring's side rearview mirrors have built in defrosters. my civic had them too, but i don't recall ever seeing the feature in either manual.

anyone else discover cool features about their insight that aren't published in the honda manuals?
When you make a telephone call and the A/C blower is set to auto and running on high, the blower will automatically set itself to low while you're in the phone to keep background noise down. I use Android Auto, so not sure about other methods. It's the little things!

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
That turning the engine off first (button) the electronic shifter automatically places the transmission into park and turns the engine off. Nice! And very handy.:nerd:
Yep! And add these steps from the "How Do You Stop Your Insight" thread to include activating the parking brake when the power button is pressed, for "true" one-button shutdown.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts

If it helps, the manual refers to this exterior side defroster feature as "heated door mirrors." There are some additional niceties like activation with remote start, continued operation below 41F, and automatic off that are worth being familiar with as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,778 Posts
The car will remind you with 3 beeps if you accidentally left the key fob in the car and try to lock it with the door handle. It does the same if you were to walk away from it while it is still running.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,778 Posts
And from experience I can tell you the trunk won’t close with a key in it. I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t get it closed and my wife remembered her key was in a bag she had just put in the trunk.
I once pulled in the driveway and got distracted to the point I didn't know the car was on when I got out (because it's silent). It's a good thing to know (now) that the car will put itself in park automatically when you open the door (and step out). It screamed at me (beeps) when I walked away with the keyfob to let me know. It will also put itself in park if you hit the stop button without selecting park first. Honda thought of everything - they even have the fan blower lower itself so the voice recognition can hear you better!
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-honda-insight-features-equipment/778-visor-clip.html

Found the above in other threads.

P.S. The key fob has a hidden key inside that can open the driver door if the car is dead.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
P.S. The key fob has a hidden key inside that can open the driver door if the car is dead.
The "hidden key" can also be used to open/close windows and moonroof (on the Touring), and can be used as a tool to access the "trunk release lever" (behind the rear passenger headrest) if the 12V battery is dead.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
Just found this video that goes over some of the lesser known features of the Accord, but also applies to the Insight. I learned a couple of new things so I thought I’d share 🙂.

https://youtu.be/9flFBu9alRQ

There’s also this video that goes over some exterior features as well (some don’t apply to the Insight)

https://youtu.be/v05QqlIXmr4
Those are truly two of my favorite tip videos, since they have so much 'stuff' buried in them in a short amount of time. (I watch them on 2x speed - ha!) I saw them before buying the Insight, and re-watch them every few months.

A few of his tips have already helped build our forum knowledge in:
- Pushing Park (and other buttons) while car is running - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/5562-post10.html
- What if the key fob dies - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/18512-post4.html
- H on wheel lines up with the valve stem - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/9856-post25.html

·
Registered
2019 EX White Pearl Orchid
66 Posts
Cannot close the trunk, keeps reopening? Helps to take the wifes purse out of the trunk with her keys in the purse! Yes you cannot lock your fob in the trunk, it will not lock. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,302 Posts
Cannot close the trunk, keeps reopening? Helps to take the wife's purse out of the trunk with her keys in the purse! Yes you cannot lock your fob in the trunk, it will not lock. :smile:
That was one of the first things the dealer demonstrated to me. It still freaks people out when I show them. The Insight is smarter than most people!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cannot close the trunk, keeps reopening? Helps to take the wifes purse out of the trunk with her keys in the purse! Yes you cannot lock your fob in the trunk, it will not lock. :smile:
Funny thing about that! Just this past Friday, I put my wife's pocketbook in the trunk with her set of keys in it, as we were going to get some breakfast. I never even gave it a thought about the keys! Oddly enough, I tried shutting the trunk 3 or 4 times but each time it popped back open. The interesting thing is that I finally decided to shut the trunk and physically hold the trunk down for a few seconds. The trunk actually locked with her keys still in her pocketbook in the trunk! Not sure if this is a glitch or an "override". When we got back in the car after breakfast, there was no warning on the dash about the trunk being open.

I guess I'll try this again tomorrow morning and see if I can get the trunk to stay locked in order to confirm.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
Funny thing about that! Just this past Friday, I put my wife's pocketbook in the trunk with her set of keys in it, as we were going to get some breakfast. I never even gave it a thought about the keys! Oddly enough, I tried shutting the trunk 3 or 4 times but each time it popped back open. The interesting thing is that I finally decided to shut the trunk and physically hold the trunk down for a few seconds. The trunk actually locked with her keys still in her pocketbook in the trunk! Not sure if this is a glitch or an "override". When we got back in the car after breakfast, there was no warning on the dash about the trunk being open.

I guess I'll try this again tomorrow morning and see if I can get the trunk to stay locked in order to confirm.
Some of us have reported this 'trunk won't close' issue to varying degrees, including the lid refusing to latch (pops open + 3 beeps) and extra force needed to close the trunk. No real solution was found, other than applying more force and ensuring key fob isn't in trunk: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/2...ues-problems/3592-trunk-wont-stay-closed.html

Thankfully, you're not also having the 'security alarm' issue along with trunk closure problems: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/2...ity-alarm-goes-off-when-i-close-my-trunk.html

·
Registered
142 Posts

This is available on older generation accords.... funny story. I was traveling for my brother's wedding. The minister for the wedding and I were playing golf before the wedding... he had his clubs in the trunk and closed the trunk...his accord beeped a few times and popped back open...he was like...whops left my keys in the bag...not only were we running late to the wedding but we would have never made it if the trunk would have locked. lol!

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,302 Posts
This is available on older generation accords.... funny story. I was traveling for my brother's wedding. The minister for the wedding and I were playing golf before the wedding... he had his clubs in the trunk and closed the trunk...his accord beeped a few times and popped back open...he was like...whops left my keys in the bag...not only were we running late to the wedding but we would have never made it if the trunk would have locked. lol!
I once locked my keys in the trunk of my 2000 Civic while deep in the wilderness for a Scout camping trip. It was not a fun time.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,302 Posts
You planned that as excellent lessons in "Do Your Best" for Cub Scouts, and "Be Prepared" for Boy/Girl Scouts, right? ;)
Of course not. I had my wife drive three hours with the spare set of keys since AAA said they would NOT drive into the woods to help me.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
If you double click unlock and then hold the unlock button, the windows and sunroof open. Nice on a hot day for sure.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for adding the tip. As a complement to opening the windows with the fob, closing the windows and moonroof can be done by turning the physical key (found/released from the base of key fob) to the left. Closing can't be done via fob presumably for safety reasons (i.e. Honda wants you to visually see/confirm nothing is in the path of closing the window or moonroof).

The physical key can also be used to open the windows and moonroof by turning it to the right... though the fob is much easier to use from a distance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts